PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wealdstone Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Wealdstone Match Thread  (Read 10486 times)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Wealdstone Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2022, 09:04:29 AM »

For me, it's the fact that the criticism of Dinanga is disproportionate. Why do you not mention Jordan Hulme's 75 minutes on the pitch without a shot on goal, on or off target?

You could put a league 1 striker in the number 9 position in this system and they wouldn't be scoring.

I got my head bitten off last week for criticising Dinanga.

I said to Bill on the the way out.. If Dinangas the answer then we’re going down.. His reply was… He’d only been on 15 minutes.

His mates reply was . The cross came to Marcus too soon as he hadn’t been on long. Ffs

Ok the Ref was utter sh*te but..

Our back four only pass sideways or backwards.

When they receive the ball all they do is get rid, they never bring the ball out. That’s either because they haven’t got the confidence or that’s the instructions they have been given..

Barrows needs to get down the line more..

Jordon ploughs a lone track up top.

Josh works his socks off but he needs help .

Ryan is on a different level to his team mates apart from CCC. No wonder he gets frustrated.

We need some hard bastards in this team who can tackle. All the pretty tap ball isn’t working.

We are going to struggle, Barnet up next. I don’t want any more miserable nights out in Alty.

We need to spend that mysterious 300k that has been quoted on players starting with someone with a bit of nous and a fkn striker who can score.

I’m not interested in hearing how many goals Dinanga has scored in the last number of games. He ain’t good enough.

Jordon at least gets stuck in and I’m sure he would have scored the tap in that Marcus fluffed. Marcus has the knack of running about but doesn’t  actually contribute much,  his awareness of what’s around him is poor and he cannot keep hold of the ball due to his lack of strength.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2022, 09:11:11 AM »

For me, it's the fact that the criticism of Dinanga is disproportionate. Why do you not mention Jordan Hulme's 75 minutes on the pitch without a shot on goal, on or off target?

You could put a league 1 striker in the number 9 position in this system and they wouldn't be scoring.

Couldn't agree more.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2022, 09:36:01 AM »

So frustrating that game was, poor match officials, below par from all the players but Ryan stood out as the best. Prings did OK when came on. Even with the below par performance we had enough chances to at least get a draw. Finishing is woeful, mentality is so questionable at the beginning of the 2nd half week in week out. Where are the changes we were promised, players need to improve or be replaced.

Our season tickets cost a lot of money like others have paid, we want to be entertained as previous seasons. That was not entertaining last night.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2022, 10:07:54 AM »

They wanted it more than us and looked solid.The sh*te officials assited with their game plan.

Not sure if any of our back 4 are good enough. Barrows is not improving into the full back I thought he would become and E.Jones is decent enough but rushes his play and lacks pace. We'll concede goals with Jones and Cooper at CB, may get away with one alongside Toby but I am hoping we see Baines and Toby there in a month or two.

Osborne was yet again a passenger and rightly subbed, no-where near good enough. Can't be rushed, but we are desperate for Marriott in CM.

Colclough was unbelievable but he can't do it alone. We never have enough players in the box.Often resulting in us taking long range shots.

Our concentration after HT is abysmal. Poor game, we need some signings.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 10:25:48 AM by oneedham »

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2022, 10:13:33 AM »

Colclough might as well hand in a transfer request and pack it in here. I’m not sure what else he could have done tonight, he was our only threat.

Massive overreaction this time last week to beating a wank Oldham side. We’re poor.

Agreed. Would be devastated to loose him but he is levels above us.

We really need to sign two fullbacks, wide player, No.9 and have Marriott, Toby and Baines back. We don't ever look like scoring, fanny about passing side to side, with only one player in the box.

Our fullbacks have stopped overlapping which means are wide players can't come into the box as extra attacking threats. We have gone away from how we use to play.

Crying out for a Joel Senior player at FB. Both sides.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 10:26:20 AM by oneedham »

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2022, 10:43:04 AM »

Perplexed by our lack of bite upfront and how we inevitably concede within minutes of the re-start.

Still feel we did not deserve to lose; could have at least got something if we could convert the few genuine chances we create and would have won if the referee and officials had not been utterly incompetent. I need to see the TV replays, but could have been two reds (push on Conn-Clarke and Cook wading in on Jones), both right in front of linesmen and two penalties (Kaja and Colclough).

Why Barrows does not overlap is a mystery also.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

andrewflynn

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2022, 10:44:23 AM »

Couldn't agree more.

It's telling really that no side in the bottom 10 has scored less than us but yet we can all agree that we don't have enough of a goal threat. 8 of the 23 goals have come against Torquay and Dorking. Take those games out of the equation and we're averaging a goal a game. Last night and the Torquay capitulation had the look of a side in serious trouble.

Say what you like about Dinanga's prolificacy but within 5 minutes of being on the pitch, he was, at the very least, in the right positions in the box.

Not a knock on Hulme, love the guy and am delighted he is at the club as one of the old guard who understands the journey the club has been on, but it was a stretch to expect him to be the answer up front this season. Safe option for a club in transition, as you know what you're getting. I must say he was excellent out on the wing at Gateshead and Torquay last week, which leads me to consider that the striker might not be the problem.

Look back at all iterations of Parkinson's Altrincham and there has never been a reliance on the striker to be prolific. We've seriously regressed at full-back which has always been an integral part of how we play. Barrows is miles off Senior's level and the Brockbank gamble hasn't paid off, prompting us to go back in for Eddie Jones who has been steady enough, but does not look the player he did last season when playing against teams who were winding down at the end of the campaign.

Our two central midfielders offer very limited goal threat and creativity. I'm going to hazard a guess that Lundstram and Osborne's 2 goals in 17 league games is well below average for central midfield partnerships. I am not sure what they have provided in terms of assists but it is all very sidewards and backwards from them. I appreciate this is not Lundstram's role and I think he has been excellent all season. We need more from Osborne, or whoever is in that position. I'm not sure Marriott is going to be the player to fix this, either. How we could do with Alistair Smith.

That leaves Conn-Clarke, Colclough and whoever is on the right to make it all happen - which is easy to defend against. Conn-Clarke is quite mercurial and has a tendency to overplay, particularly from outside of the box, where Hancock was a serious threat coming into the box late, which is what we are so obviously missing. The amount of times Colclough puts a low ball into the six-yard box to find no one running onto it is a joke. He was being triple-teamed all game, and he still managed to run past them all and put it on a plate numerous times. I'm amazed he's still here.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2022, 11:05:30 AM »

Couldn't agree more.

It's telling really that no side in the bottom 10 has scored less than us but yet we can all agree that we don't have enough of a goal threat. 8 of the 23 goals have come against Torquay and Dorking. Take those games out of the equation and we're averaging a goal a game. Last night and the Torquay capitulation had the look of a side in serious trouble.

Say what you like about Dinanga's prolificacy but within 5 minutes of being on the pitch, he was, at the very least, in the right positions in the box.

Not a knock on Hulme, love the guy and am delighted he is at the club as one of the old guard who understands the journey the club has been on, but it was a stretch to expect him to be the answer up front this season. Safe option for a club in transition, as you know what you're getting. I must say he was excellent out on the wing at Gateshead and Torquay last week, which leads me to consider that the striker might not be the problem.

Look back at all iterations of Parkinson's Altrincham and there has never been a reliance on the striker to be prolific. We've seriously regressed at full-back which has always been an integral part of how we play. Barrows is miles off Senior's level and the Brockbank gamble hasn't paid off, prompting us to go back in for Eddie Jones who has been steady enough, but does not look the player he did last season when playing against teams who were winding down at the end of the campaign.

Our two central midfielders offer very limited goal threat and creativity. I'm going to hazard a guess that Lundstram and Osborne's 2 goals in 17 league games is well below average for central midfield partnerships. I am not sure what they have provided in terms of assists but it is all very sidewards and backwards from them. I appreciate this is not Lundstram's role and I think he has been excellent all season. We need more from Osborne, or whoever is in that position. I'm not sure Marriott is going to be the player to fix this, either. How we could do with Alistair Smith.

That leaves Conn-Clarke, Colclough and whoever is on the right to make it all happen - which is easy to defend against. Conn-Clarke is quite mercurial and has a tendency to overplay, particularly from outside of the box, where Hancock was a serious threat coming into the box late, which is what we are so obviously missing. The amount of times Colclough puts a low ball into the six-yard box to find no one running onto it is a joke. He was being triple-teamed all game, and he still managed to run past them all and put it on a plate numerous times. I'm amazed he's still here.
Andrew, great post, well thought out and have to agree. Just hope the club can find the suitable players to move us forward with what we've got.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2022, 11:05:37 AM »

Couldn't agree more.

Top post mate.

I think our main concerns currently are CM, overrun in most games and full back.

Correct about Con-Clarke, I know he has been on the end of a ball into the box, but currently 90% of his play is on the edge of the box, looking for a through ball or long shot. We need him in the box.

An attacking CM should be doing the edge of the box. Don't rate Malone but he was in there last night, Osborne is way off the attacking play.

If we had capable and overlapping fullbacks, who can put a ball into the box, then we should have our No 9, 10 and one of the wide players in the box and CM on the edge.

At the moment it is always one player in there, missing opportunities or it is cleared and often landing in and around the box with no players for the seconds.

Barrows needs to get fitter,  faster and be told to get beyond the wide man. Hampson on the left was never the quickest, like E Jones, but experienced at making the right runs and did well at putting balls in.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 11:12:08 AM by oneedham »

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2022, 11:23:09 AM »

Couldn't agree more.

I disagree; we have a bottom-half strike force; if they were better, they wouldn't be here. The % of chances our strikers take (based on movement, ability, confidence) is low.

I still think we're missing a 10, and I actually think Hulme and Dinanga as a 10 works best.
It's all my fault.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2022, 12:13:14 PM »

Very frustrating night, bizarre officials and (other than Ryan) far too ineffective up front again. Will need to see the replays but 4 big penalty shouts turned down, post hit by Ryan and other chances missed again. Not surprising people were fuming after that.

I think most can see where we need improvements, we need more from the full backs and creativity from midfielders. Not getting that at present. CCC normally contributes with Ryan Colclough in the creativity side, but CCC was well below his previous levels last night. Pringle was tidy when he came on, but that might have just been relative to the other flat performances from the other forwards. 

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2022, 12:32:47 PM »

Regarding the non-overlapping full backs, could it be they are told not to overlap?

Agree that Hulme looks better as a winger, so that might be the way to go with Dinanga as the 9.

Regarding getting players in there's only about 3 positions which we're good enough in.

All in all its a absolute sh*t show
Full time and proud of it

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2022, 12:36:05 PM »

It may be that we need to trim the wage bill before we can bring anybody in. That's not easy when players we have on contract are almost certainly unattractive to other clubs. I mean, would YOU buy Osborne or Dinanga ? We'd have to pay them off, then bang goes our kitty. We're only 3 points outside the drop zone again, and others below us are showing at least some signs of gumption. We were beaten last night by a team whose current run of form was deplorable. It simply isn't good enough, and our tactics need looking at as a matter of priority.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2022, 12:39:18 PM »

It may be that we need to trim the wage bill before we can bring anybody in. That's not easy when players we have on contract are almost certainly unattractive to other clubs. I mean, would YOU buy Osborne or Dinanga ? We'd have to pay them off, then bang goes our kitty. We're only 3 points outside the drop zone again, and others below us are showing at least some signs of gumption. We were beaten last night by a team whose current run of form was deplorable. It simply isn't good enough, and our tactics need looking at as a matter of priority.

Dinanga isnt a player I'd lose, but the lad has scored 6 and probably will hit 13/14 He scored a ton in South.

If I were a step 2 club, Id bite your hand off for him.

It's all my fault.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2022, 12:49:36 PM »

We still look as though possession is our primary concern and if we score then that's a bonus.
An example being last night when one of their players picked up possession after the inevitable breakdown of one of our interminable passing sessions. He set off toward our goal, directly and at pace, no stopping to look for a sideways pass, just progress and a desire to score.
Much has been said about Osborne so I'll leave that subject.
Jordan actually gives us nothing. He looks for a CB when he comes on and is content then to engage in a 'wrestling contest'. A successful striker tries to get away from defenders, Jordan does the opposite. In terms of closing diwn, too often he seems to raise, at best, a quick jog toward defenders with seemingly no real intent to apply any pressure.
Sadly I think we need a significant change in system / philosophy / personnel definitely on the field of play, possibly in the dugout
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wealdstone Match Thread