PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best team?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best team?  (Read 3317 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Best team?
« on: September 14, 2022, 08:15:29 AM »

What is the answer to the defensive frailty and lack of support up top?

Given we don't seem to have a viable number 10, is the answer to ditch the position entirely and push some wing backs up the pitch?

Byrne

Cooper      Toby      Baines

Barrows  Lundstram  Osborne  Jones

Kaja        Hulme     Colclough

Yes, I like Cooper and think he has the right potential; he built up a good partnership with Toby last season. I'd rather give him the game time and ditch James Jones. Ordinarily I might have put Toby in RCB given his ability to play full back, however I've seen enough to know he needs to be the central lynchpin.

We do have good wing back options in reserve, too - would arguably suit Jackson and Brockbank in particular.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Best team?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 08:42:45 AM »

Thats probably the most logical course if action.
Full time and proud of it

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 11:59:39 AM »

I’m note sure that a change from the system that has worked well for us will help. But that might just be because on the rare occasions I’ve seen us shift to 3 at the back it’s been terrifying!

But flexibility would be a good thing.

The part/full time thing is a bit of a misnomer in some respects. It comes down to the same thing it always has, how good your actual players are. We may have gambled on a couple too many coming good.

As for the actual best XI I simply have no idea anymore and that’s a really bad sign.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 12:05:34 PM »

Best team without Kossy and Marriott isn't great at the moment. Probably....

Byrne

Barrows    Mullarkey    Baines   E.Jones

Osborne Lundstram

Kaja             Pringle or Bennett      Colclough

Hulme

Not a huge fan of Osborne but I would switch it and have him deeper, the role Jack did for us, as he can win headers. Then I would have Lundstram driving us forward.

Desperately need that creative no.10 but in the meantime I would play Pringle for a few games. He can drop to pick it up and he is positive in his play.

We need to get more players into the box. Our fullbacks need to get fit as both Barrows and Jones are capable of getting forward well.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 12:15:13 PM by oneedham »

AltyRobin

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 12:54:44 PM »

No idea what our best XI is I just wish we didn’t set up so negatively. Playing possession football is great but the game is all about sticking the ball in their net and keeping it out of your own. All the 5 yard passing from Lundstram and Osborne in the middle of midfield won’t keep us up

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 01:13:29 PM »

Best XI? Hmmm. I'm almost with MarpleAlty on this one.
Would go:

Byrne
     Mullarky. Cooper Baines
Barrows.   Lundstram.  E Jones
              Osborne Pringle
           Kaja.                 Coco

We don't have a number 9. I'd be looking to offload the majority of our loanees and really look for a number 9. I'd like to see what Goldson can do.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 01:14:26 PM »

Best team without Kossy and Marriott isn't great at the moment. Probably....

Byrne

Barrows    Mullarkey    Baines   E.Jones

Osborne Lundstram

Kaja             Pringle or Bennett      Colclough

Hulme

Not a huge fan of Osborne but I would switch it and have him deeper, the role Jack did for us, as he can win headers. Then I would have Lundstram driving us forward.

Desperately need that creative no.10 but in the meantime I would play Pringle for a few games. He can drop to pick it up and he is positive in his play.

We need to get more players into the box. Our fullbacks need to get fit as both Barrows and Jones are capable of getting forward well.

This looks ok,but while Jordan is out i would give Zak his chance

Harold

andrewflynn

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 01:29:34 PM »

Tactically I don't see much difference at all between how we set up in our successful periods last season, and what we're trying at the moment. It's still very much Parkinson and Sorvel's ID. We've got a keeper being asked to distribute, ball-playing central defenders, full-backs encouraged to push up the pitch, a 'double pivot' in the middle, inverted wingers cutting inside, a number ten, and a lone forward - all hallmarks of our successful sides over the past 5 seasons.

I appreciate why a switch to 3-4-3 is attractive but I don't think the formation is the issue here, first and foremost I'd say it's a massive lack of confidence across the pitch, mixed with weaker personnel in key positions.

Byrne

Barrows, Mullarkey, Cooper, E. Jones

Lundstram, Osborne

Kaja, Pringle, Colclough

Hulme

That's how I'd start, if Hulme is fit. I thought we looked decent with Pringle at 10 against Chesterfield. I've also been content with Lundstram and Osborne in the middle. Up until Solihull we weren't getting battered or sliced open in midfield, we've been fairly solid but just making mistakes at the back.

On paper that XI has enough to get us going.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 02:47:54 PM »

The problem is playing the tried and trusted isnt working because weve only played with 1 proper winger and the 20 isn't good enough.

We may well gave sorted a 2nd proper winger in Kaja but the.

Who ever plays as the 10 (Conn-Clarke is my preference) isn't a patch on an 80% firing Hancock
Full time and proud of it

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 01:14:56 AM »

I seriously don't know our Best XI as we've used so many players & have a whopping 32 in the 1st team squad!

Going full time has not worked out so far due to various reasons... as one of only a couple of part time clubs in the Nat Lge top division it was the natural next step if we ever wanted to realise a dream of reaching the Football Lge in the coming yrs... no-one thought it would be easy & maybe take 5-10yrs of steady building to hopefully achieve but no-one thought we'd be near bottom of the league - most predicted mid table finish (like prev couple of seasons) then push on towards playoffs next season then higher...

It is early days but we seem to have gone from one of the best part time playing squads to what appears an average full time one made up of mostly young players who may develop in coming yrs (confidence must also be low at present)... losing almost 2,000 worth of Alty appearances by those who left &/or couldn't commit to FT has been immense, plus ACL big injuries to Marriott & Kosylo (two of our better players) plus losing another Mooney to Southend, plus international clearance issues with our new keeper have not helped...

Yes, there has been a big squad overhaul of 21 players out & 16 in, plus use of loanees, but no-one expected this... Parky aint helped himself as constantly changing large numbers of matchday team - he needs to pick an XI & stick with majority (say 9or10) if not all so can gel as a team... our defence aint been great but having 1st choice keeper back will help as he's vocal & commands the defence...

However, our main problem in recent yrs is finding a striker to score goals... recently it has been mainly midfield players scoring... Hulme aint scored many since his return, Dinanga struggles, Kaja looked good as a sub on Tue eve but Parky needs to start him plus try new strikers Goodson & Sami - may not be the answer but they need to be given a chance... bottom line is any team without a good striker will struggle...

At the mo, going full time & the massive squad changes appear not to have worked so far, but here we are & we need to get on with it... Parky needs to stick with a settled team so they can gel... not looking good at mo but a win from somewhere may change it all around & give the team renewed confidence... i'm still optimistic & believe in Parky & the Mgmt team...

Whatever happens, we'll always support Alty... football, like life, is a rollercoaster ride of ups & downs - it maybe a tough time at present, but we'll get through this!
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2022, 08:44:54 AM »

If pushed to pick a team for our next match i'd stick with the previous 4231 formation of recent yrs & go with...

Bryne

Barrows  Mullarkey  Baines  E.Jones

Osborne  Lundstram

Kaja  Pringle  Colclough

Sami/Goodson

NB got to try Kaja from start, plus give Sami or Goodson a try up front... plus i like Pringle behind striker...

Lets hope we find that elusive win soon...

COYR!
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 08:44:59 AM »

I think right now we have to stick together and stand by PP & Sorvs.

If you think back just a few months, there were a lot of forumites worrying about the form at the end of 2021 & the start of 2022. Things then changed.

We then had the period when people were worried that PP & Sorvs would leave to join Notts County, they didn’t and stayed at Alty.

Losing Kossy & Isaac was a devastating blow in pre season, and is the main reason we are in the position we are. The team will gel and overcome this temporary loss.

We do struggle up front at the moment to put the ball in the net, I like others would like to see young Zak Goodson given a go.

Keep the faith with PP & Sorvs.

Footy fans are a fickle species, I believe the current management team are good enough to sort things out

Onwards & Upwards
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 08:46:40 AM by distancetraveller »

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2022, 08:48:41 AM »

I think we're all being quite naive to think that our league start after such a huge transition wouldn't be challenging.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I actually think the current squad is good enough.

A poor start to the season doesn't change that (yet) for me.

The only thing that annoyed me was the lack of proactivity around finding a proper centre forward and pushing Jordan to the bench (and Dinanga wherever really). I can only assume that we tried our best and nobody appropriate came on to the market.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2022, 10:29:04 AM »

If you think back just a few months, there were a lot of forumites worrying about the form at the end of 2021 & the start of 2022. Things then changed.

We then had the period when people were worried that PP & Sorvs would leave to join Notts County, they didn’t and stayed at Alty.

Losing Kossy & Isaac was a devastating blow in pre season, and is the main reason we are in the position we are. The team will gel and overcome this temporary loss.

We do struggle up front at the moment to put the ball in the net, I like others would like to see young Zak Goodson given a go.

Footy fans are a fickle species, I believe the current management team are good enough to sort things out

Onwards & Upwards

Still 100% behind them. I highly rate them but wrong selections are being made and a lack of ownership when things go wrong.

Also concerned about our lack of depth, which has resulted in too many loan players.

Frustrated to see players under perform and others like Sami, Kaja, Goodson, Roxburgh, Pringle not be given the  chance or even minutes. We need quicker attackers on the pitch.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2022, 10:39:53 AM »

Onwards & Upwards

Still 100% behind them. I highly rate them but wrong selections are being made and a lack of ownership when things go wrong.

Also concerned about our lack of depth, which has resulted in too many loan players.

Frustrated to see players under perform and others like Sami, Kaja, Goodson, Roxburgh, Pringle not be given the  chance or even minutes. We need quicker attackers on the pitch.

What frustrates me the most about the management team - who are clearly brilliant coaches on the training ground - is their in-game management.

In all the time they've been with us, I've never really rated this aspect at all.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best team?