PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Yeovil Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Yeovil Match Thread  (Read 6037 times)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Yeovil Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2022, 05:41:26 PM »

Isn't it odd how, when you use players who look forward and actually attack the opposition, you look dangerous and even score goals.
I think it's worth relinquishing our position related to possession if we can get a goal or two.

Far too often we go backwards and sideways to keep the ball.
It's doing that cost the second goal which, incidentally,  came from our throw

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2022, 06:28:56 PM »

I concur with that. I don’t know whether it’s a lack of confidence or just pace down the flanks but we aren’t going forward enough. Could be Osborne and Lundstram not quite gelling but we’re not quite brave enough facing forward (like Jake was) but we aren’t passing through the lines at all. In fact, times when we can play into midfield we keep going back.

I’ve been critical of Bennett and remain unconvinced but there were a few times he was showing for the ball ‘in the hole’ and not getting it.

The hesitancy of the standard passing across the back is doing my head in, get some pace on it.

It’s getting a bit embarrassing watching our best centre half tripping over the ball on the right wing. Lord knows there’s enough of the back 4 who could be dropped for him to go back to his natural position.

Marple Alty may be right we just need to gel a bit but by God, I’ve sat through two Altrincham performances this week that have been really bad. And by bad I mean, technically, tactically and physically as well as being boring and not attractive to watch. It’s a long time since I’ve endured two games like that.

Happy to get the late equaliser but we’ve got to sort ourselves out, at the moment I’d say no ones place is safe and I can’t agree with the managers assessment that we’ve recruited well this summer I’m afraid.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2022, 08:37:49 PM »

It was a torrid game (odd for a 2-2) played by two not-so-great teams.
Having said that, there were a couple of terrific goals - Yeovil's first was a cracker and the back-headed flick for our second was absolutely top drawer.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2022, 09:16:55 PM »

Their kit was pretty rammy though

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2022, 09:33:17 PM »

Their kit was pretty rammy though

It was horrendous, and unnecessary for a team who normally wear green to switch to stripes !

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2022, 09:39:35 PM »

My eyes aren't the best, I know but did anyone else have difficulty distinguishing between the two teams?
At one point, Jordan was about to cross it and when I looked there was just a mass of stripes in the box.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2022, 09:40:56 PM »

Yes, it was difficult to tell the players of the two teams apart from a distance; it would have been a lot easier if Yeovil had worn their proper green rather than that sickly pink and purple stripes combination.

Kaja's well judged header at the death does keep us out of what would have been a terrible position. Once again, though, it does seem that we don't take advantage of the spells in a game when we do dominate, either side of half time today, and instead tend to pass it once or more too often.

The timing of the equalising goal makes it feel like a win, well nearly like a win,  and hopefully we may be able to build on this.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2022, 10:41:25 PM »

Kaja's goal was a good birthday present 📦 (although a brace would have been brilliant!) 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2022, 10:49:00 PM »

The Yeovil home kit involves Stripes I believe.
Would have been interesting had they played under lights midweek

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2022, 10:12:37 AM »

I do think signing Jones might have been far too based on sentiment - Barrow fans couldn't wait to get rid of him and we'd finished our recruitment in that area of the park.

Interestingly, Harry Perritt and Eddy Jones have only been unused subs for their respective clubs' League Cup games - I'd have them both back in a heartbeat - with Perritt at the base of the midfield, pushing Osborne and Lundstram further up the pitch, and doing away with a Number 10 for the time being.

finnquark1

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2022, 10:14:04 AM »

I thought we were very poor, and probably fortunate to get the point given the difficulty we had in moving the ball and breaking Yeovil down. That said, I thought defensively we were fine and the 2nd goal was an absolute gift, without which we would have gotten a point.

Seems to be the general consensus that the 4 CBs is an issue, and hopefully Barrows can get fit and change that down the right. The left is a bigger problem though, as Baines can't pass the ball effectively, and for whatever reason Brockbank isn't starting (too lightweight perhaps?).

Like others have said, Bennett and Conn-Clarke together is an ineffective pairing. Kaja was fine when he came on, but as someone else mentioned, I'm not convinced by the recruitment this summer, certainly not in the attacking positions. Appreciating that Mooney was a high quality player to lose, we don't seem to have found a viable replacement at the minute. At least we got the point, but there were more concerning signs than positives from yesterday, I thought.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2022, 10:30:15 AM »

I do think signing Jones might have been far too based on sentiment - Barrow fans couldn't wait to get rid of him and we'd finished our recruitment in that area of the park.

Interestingly, Harry Perritt and Eddy Jones have only been unused subs for their respective clubs' League Cup games - I'd have them both back in a heartbeat - with Perritt at the base of the midfield, pushing Osborne and Lundstram further up the pitch, and doing away with a Number 10 for the time being.

Jones had an injury last year (as did Lundstram) which may have set him back a bit and he looks short of a gallop at the very least.

If Jones or any other centre back is off form/not at the races then they need benching.

Like you, maybe Perritt and Jones thought they’d feature more prominently that they have but given there are two players we know can massively improve us (without having to gamble on new loanees and see how they go etc) I’m hoping it’s at least under consideration.

I actually think having them back would help Baines and Brockbank settle in, it’s a little bit sink or swim at the moment isn’t it.

Actually, are we constrained by the number of loanees we can have, given that we have 3 (Mee, CCC, Bennett) already?

Edit: just to add, we really need Toby back at rcb and build round him rather than shoving him at rb. We’ve sacrificed one of our biggest strengths to not really solve a weakness imo.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 11:31:44 AM by Ballers »

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2022, 12:34:16 PM »

Jones had an injury last year (as did Lundstram) which may have set him back a bit and he looks short of a gallop at the very least.

If Jones or any other centre back is off form/not at the races then they need benching.

Like you, maybe Perritt and Jones thought they’d feature more prominently that they have but given there are two players we know can massively improve us (without having to gamble on new loanees and see how they go etc) I’m hoping it’s at least under consideration.

I actually think having them back would help Baines and Brockbank settle in, it’s a little bit sink or swim at the moment isn’t it.

Actually, are we constrained by the number of loanees we can have, given that we have 3 (Mee, CCC, Bennett) already?

Edit: just to add, we really need Toby back at rcb and build round him rather than shoving him at rb. We’ve sacrificed one of our biggest strengths to not really solve a weakness imo.

100% agree we've suffered not having Toby at centre half - at the moment I think my first choice pairing would be him & Baines, I'd bench Jones.

When Byrne and Barrows come back in, it'll feel like we've had a raft of new signings - especially given Toby will be playing where he should be.

Not sure about the loanee situation but given they've taken a huge step up, the likes of Brockbank and Roxburgh getting NLN gigs for some more experience further down the line wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

The more I think about it - even if we only get an hour out of him - I think I'd rather have Pringle alongside Lundstram in midfield to get things moving a bit quicker.

I did suspect having three 'luxury' players behind Hulme might be a concern, especially given the graft that Kosylo is accustomed to putting in. We probably do need to select either one of Conn-Clarke or Bennett - but not both together.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 08:19:05 AM by MarpleAlty »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2022, 03:58:41 PM »

I agree.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2022, 04:48:22 PM »

Far too ponderous in possession again yesterday afternoon against a Yeovil Town side that was workmanlike at best. I'd be surprised if they finish above the bottom eight in this division on that evidence.

The balance of our team is not right at present. The league debut of Barrows at right full back can't come quick enough and, as others have already commented, we need Mullarkey back in his best position ASAP.

The loss of Marriott, in particular, has been a huge blow, as we miss his drive and dynamism in central midfield. Osborne and Lundstram look to be rather similar players and it's also difficult to envisage either of them contributing many goals (and in light of our current deficiencies in attack, we'll need all the help that we can muster in that department).

On a separate topic, it was interesting to observe the presence of former Moss Lane royalty in the main stand yesterday: namely, one Gerald Berman Esq. (accompanied by the club's erstwhile secretary Dave Baldwin). And sitting in the cheap seats, too.

Perhaps he is planning to launch a takeover bid for us...?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Yeovil Match Thread