PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Opening day Match Thread.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Opening day Match Thread.  (Read 13884 times)

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: Opening day Match Thread.
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2022, 11:31:14 AM »

I say it every week but the only way that service in the CSH is going to improve is if they start prepouring pints... yes it's not ideal but I don't even bother trying to get served at the bar anymore

Maybe not quite true. Trafford had a gazebo with a man selling cans of beer. Not to everyone's taste maybe, but it was quick and effective (another thing I loved about Trafford were those wooden seats. The little things really do matter...).

Agreed, we could easily have a separate stall in the CSH offering cans and bottles. Makes absolute sense.

The way the club has responded to poor service in the CSH is offering loyALTY subscribers a jump of the inordinate queue. Recognising the problem without solving it..

This was offered at a few home games last season and seemed to be very popular. I'm not sure why it isn't more consistent because as you say, I'd much rather pay £3 for a cold can poured into a cup, than queue 15 minutes for a £4 pint I have to rush.

Re. the LoyAlty queue, I think it's important to say that this wasn't introduced as a fix for queuing problems, but rather, as a perk for supporting a certain tier of the scheme.

There will always be queueing problems in the CSH as it simply is not set up to meet the demand of however many hundred people wanting a pint within a 15-minute timeframe.

The club has visibly put far more staff on to try and meet the demand, and introduced lane queueing, but it will never be enough. The only suggestion I have to try and make it marginally better is introducing a max order of 4 pints per person, which is commonplace at bigger sporting venues now (Old Trafford cricket ground for example). Too many times I've been stood in the queue behind someone who's getting drinks added to their order from mates stood outside the queue. You end up waiting for about a dozen pints to be poured last minute.

As maligned and debated as it has become, the Fan Zone can't come quick enough if simply to take some of the pressure from the CSH bar.

That was not my point. My point was by doing this, the club is recognising the queue is a problem, but doing nothing to fix it.

andrewflynn

« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2022, 11:52:00 AM »

I say it every week but the only way that service in the CSH is going to improve is if they start prepouring pints... yes it's not ideal but I don't even bother trying to get served at the bar anymore

Maybe not quite true. Trafford had a gazebo with a man selling cans of beer. Not to everyone's taste maybe, but it was quick and effective (another thing I loved about Trafford were those wooden seats. The little things really do matter...).

Agreed, we could easily have a separate stall in the CSH offering cans and bottles. Makes absolute sense.

The way the club has responded to poor service in the CSH is offering loyALTY subscribers a jump of the inordinate queue. Recognising the problem without solving it..

This was offered at a few home games last season and seemed to be very popular. I'm not sure why it isn't more consistent because as you say, I'd much rather pay £3 for a cold can poured into a cup, than queue 15 minutes for a £4 pint I have to rush.

Re. the LoyAlty queue, I think it's important to say that this wasn't introduced as a fix for queuing problems, but rather, as a perk for supporting a certain tier of the scheme.

There will always be queueing problems in the CSH as it simply is not set up to meet the demand of however many hundred people wanting a pint within a 15-minute timeframe.

The club has visibly put far more staff on to try and meet the demand, and introduced lane queueing, but it will never be enough. The only suggestion I have to try and make it marginally better is introducing a max order of 4 pints per person, which is commonplace at bigger sporting venues now (Old Trafford cricket ground for example). Too many times I've been stood in the queue behind someone who's getting drinks added to their order from mates stood outside the queue. You end up waiting for about a dozen pints to be poured last minute.

As maligned and debated as it has become, the Fan Zone can't come quick enough if simply to take some of the pressure from the CSH bar.

That was not my point. My point was by doing this, the club is recognising the queue is a problem, but doing nothing to fix it.

I take your point. Got to say I disagree with the notion that the club are doing / have done nothing to at least try and improve the experience.

As I said, they've done can bars in the past, added queuing lanes, and brought in more staff but it's not been enough or it's been done inconsistently. I personally think that no matter what they do, the Sports Hall simply isn't equipped with a bar big enough to get that many people served in a 15-minute window unless rules are put in place to cap the order quantity.

Even then, we'll still be queueing for a good few minutes. It is half-time at a football match at the end of the day.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2022, 11:56:24 AM »

I've totally given up on trying to get a half time pint nowadays but it's not the end of the world.
The Club have missed out on my few bob though. There must be quite a few others like me and those few bobs will have started to add up.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2022, 01:24:40 PM »

It's a few cans / bottles in a bucket of ice - if I can manage it entertaining two dozen people in my garden, the club can manage it on a slightly larger scale.

Getting back to the match - another concern seemed to be that we picked up quite a few knocks - we're probably quite fortunate there isn't a midweek game. On the plus side, Lundstram? (unless my eyes deceived me?) put in a decent shift at right back, and Pringle got things ticking over well when he came on like he normally does.

Depending on injury status next week, I wouldn't be too concerned to start the side we finished the game with - it's a long season and we do need to use everyone.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2022, 01:41:54 PM »

1. Pre-order via the website via a ticket system; for all ST/Loyalty card holders

2. Limited the pints as per above to 4 per person (people would just join the queue at the front no doubt).

3. Bring back paul as an extra bar in the corner.
It's all my fault.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2022, 03:36:48 PM »

I'm considering bringing the old hip flask I used to bring in the 60s for half time and just top up the coffee I send Mrs S to get for us! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2022, 03:56:24 PM »

I guess one thing worth saying is that the csh is open all game, and serving people, so maybe it’s not as easy to pre pour loads of pints at 3:30? That said I’ve been in at 3:35 and it takes f**king time.

The real reason they won’t pre pour pints though is like a lot of places their scared of tipping 2 or 3 unwanted pints away but f**k me they must know how much of each they sell by now.

Also, and I surely can’t be alone in this, if I’ve got a massive queue I’m as likely at the end of it to just take whichever beer you’ve got immediately at hand rather than ask for a specific one to be poured. Obviously not everyone is like that but many people are.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2022, 05:17:12 PM »

And just to go back to the crowd. I’m puzzled that some people think it was a below par attendance?

Opening day attendances early in August with so many people on holiday (see our great travelling support at Torquay last season) are always much lower than you’d think. 800-900 used to be par.

1,717 is great and further proof of our progress. I haven’t got reliable enough WiFi on our campsite in Cornwall to check but it’s possibly our highest opening day attendance in the past 4 decades??

Maybe just edged out when Exeter brought 7-800 and we got circa 1,800 against them a few years ago.

Edit: Exeter was 1,314 so Saturdays attendance is certainly nothing to be disappointed with.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 05:23:07 PM by Ballers »

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2022, 06:32:05 PM »

And just to go back to the crowd. I’m puzzled that some people think it was a below par attendance?

Opening day attendances early in August with so many people on holiday (see our great travelling support at Torquay last season) are always much lower than you’d think. 800-900 used to be par.

1,717 is great and further proof of our progress. I haven’t got reliable enough WiFi on our campsite in Cornwall to check but it’s possibly our highest opening day attendance in the past 4 decades??

Maybe just edged out when Exeter brought 7-800 and we got circa 1,800 against them a few years ago.

Edit: Exeter was 1,314 so Saturdays attendance is certainly nothing to be disappointed with.

I think there may have been more in the ground for York at home in 2018 but in terms of home supporters, it’s an age since we’ve had as many as 1500 on an opening day.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2022, 06:33:35 PM »

Wouldn’t fancy Exeter away on a Saturday in August.

You could die of old age stuck in the traffic on the M5 from North of Bristol to Exeter.

I thought 1717 wasn’t a bad gate considering a lot of people will be away on holiday with the ankle biters.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 09:01:20 PM by distancetraveller »

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2022, 06:57:51 PM »

I think there may have been more in the ground for York at home in 2018 but in terms of home supporters, it’s an age since we’ve had as many as 1500 on an opening day.

Good call. 1,876 v York. Suspect they brought more than the 200 Maidstone did though

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2022, 07:17:37 PM »

Match highlights from the Maidstone United perspective (featuring a better view of the penalty appeal}:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2rJTa14ScM
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2022, 09:36:02 AM »

Match highlights from the Maidstone United perspective (featuring a better view of the penalty appeal}:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2rJTa14ScM

Interesting to see there edit cut in with Alty TV gave some good extra angles and unbiased commentary. Deffo a pen as was sat near that camera and Dinanga ff side which wasn't. Robbed gets no better.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2022, 01:58:15 PM »

I'm considering bringing the old hip flask I used to bring in the 60s for half time and just top up the coffee I send Mrs S to get for us! 😉

Don't put a decent single malt in your hip flask, in case it falls foul of the scanner on the way in ! Having Tesco Whisky confiscated would be infinitely less painful 😂

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2022, 04:32:37 PM »

Don't put a decent single malt in your hip flask, in case it falls foul of the scanner on the way in ! Having Tesco Whisky confiscated would be infinitely less painful 😂

I could always bring my plastic flask? That should beat the scanner 😉
Failing that I could always neck the lot to keep it from being confiscated! 😂
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Opening day Match Thread.