PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Opening day Match Thread.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Opening day Match Thread.  (Read 13882 times)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Opening day Match Thread.
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2022, 08:41:05 PM »

If we want to progress as a club and even contemplate going beyond this division, let alone stay in it, then we have to accept that we need to be more professional, money savvy and commercially focussed. That or get a sugar daddy in which no doubt would have its own vocal opposition too.

We can't have it both ways on this; you're not going to get the "traditional non-league experience" at this level any more, and I'd rather lose that than see us tumble down the divisions again.

100%. You got the sense in the Rowley years that progress was a dirty word and if the current board wasn’t here we’d be bumbling about the Conference North or worse. If people would rather take us back to 650 at home & losing to the likes of Matlock & Curzon Ashton because the non league experience is purer then that’s not the club for me. People talking about giving up on us because the match day experience is no longer to their tastes as well is a very poor do indeed.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2022, 09:26:11 PM »

I started go to Alty again after being a fairly irregular watcher in the 70s/80s for the 94/95 season and got hooked. Handy for home, not expensive to get in, lots of local away games, lots midweek too, relaxed atmosphere, stand where you want, i could go on. That's all gone now. I doubt I'll go to an away game this season and at £19 I don't think I'll go to every home game, especially if the team go on a losing run. I want entertainment, and if I ain't getting entertained I'm not paying for torture. I barely went in the recent relegation seasons, but I went to a lot in the Evostik and following NLN seasons. Why? Because it was fun, entertaining, relaxed (stand where you want  (pretty much)), bring your own sandwiches, lots of away games not too far away, and not too much to get in.

So in a nutshell I miss the non-league experience you got following Alty up to quite recently. That's definitely gone now - segregation, stewards every six feet, no leaning on the fence, security scans outside the ground.

I stopped going to the speedway at Belle Vue when getting in , parking and buying a programme started costing over twenty quid, and i wasn't the only one judging by the paltry attendances they get. I don't buy a programme at Alty or use the catering, but it doesn't seem that many years ago that paying £20 at Luton seemed a helluva a lot of money to watch a football match. £19 at Alty now seems a lot, especially when you look at the state of the place you're paying to go in to.

Maybe remember why you were able to bring your own sandwiches, not have to travel far to away games, stand where you want and have all that fun?

It was because we had two horrid seasons, double relegations, dropped to our lowest level in living memory, protests against the chairman, crap crowds, poisonous atmosphere, manager after manager, losing runs. That's what it took and I never want to see that again.

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2022, 09:40:27 PM »

I say it every week but the only way that service in the CSH is going to improve is if they start prepouring pints... yes it's not ideal but I don't even bother trying to get served at the bar anymore

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2022, 09:40:33 PM »

There's a delicate balancing act between moving the club forwards and forgetting its soul; it aint all about the money, otherwise we'd all be heading to Old Trafford every week or sitting at home with our Sky Sports subscriptions.

For me, my favourite times in recent years was strolling right through the Golf Road End to the wooden Libero hut - which never seemed to be that busy - getting a lovely pint of Pomona Pale, and taking it to the terrace to watch the game.

Now I completely understand I can't have that last bit anymore due to the rules - however, the club had worked so hard to build a community spirit - the LGBT shirts, improved social media etc - now it just seems more... aloof.

On the point of Libero which I appreciate was raised on another thread - they're part of the very fabric of the modern iteration of this club, and I'll be extremely upset if they're not in the club's plans going forward.

And yes, the service in the CSH was shocking. By the time I got served, they'd kicked off the second half.

Don’t understand what having a Sky subscription has to do with it

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2022, 09:44:53 PM »

I say it every week but the only way that service in the CSH is going to improve is if they start prepouring pints... yes it's not ideal but I don't even bother trying to get served at the bar anymore
or put more staff on . Or a bit of both . Pre ordering makes total sense by the way ala George and Jenny
Come on you red and white........

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2022, 09:44:58 PM »

Being a full time setup has to include a professional setup off the field, paying staff rather than expecting volunteers to do it should have been part of the costings of the full time model. 

Employing people will get more people wanting to work for the club thus providing a better service.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 09:47:01 PM by distancetraveller »

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2022, 09:48:54 PM »

Being a full time setup has to include a professional setup off the field, paying staff rather than expecting volunteers to do it should have been part of the costings of the full time model. 

Employing people will get more people wanting to work for the club thus providing a better service.
very fair point as well . More customers equals more staff required or better operational execution
Come on you red and white........

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2022, 10:04:51 PM »

Maybe not quite true. Trafford had a gazebo with a man selling cans of beer. Not to everyone's taste maybe, but it was quick and effective (another thing I loved about Trafford were those wooden seats. The little things really do matter...).

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2022, 10:14:04 PM »

Maybe remember why you were able to bring your own sandwiches, not have to travel far to away games, stand where you want and have all that fun?

It was because we had two horrid seasons, double relegations, dropped to our lowest level in living memory, protests against the chairman, crap crowds, poisonous atmosphere, manager after manager, losing runs. That's what it took and I never want to see that again.

I seem to remember a poisonous atmosphere when we didn't change a manager as well a few years before that. Rowley got a lot of stick for that too (despite probably being correct on that occasion). But I agree there are plenty of positives at the moment. The thing is to make the changes required to progress whilst taking as many of our longstanding fans with us as possible, and it is always worth discussing what we can do better. I for one wouldn't necessarily consider it progress if we were getting bigger crowds (like MK Dons) but lost many of the supporters we were getting in previous years, and I hope and believe that will not happen. It can't be emphasised enough how important it is to have a long standing supporter who understands the club as chairman.

Anyway, looks like it won't be long until fence standing and the fan zone return, and that will help massively. I only regret that it looks like the old programmes shop won't be returning.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2022, 10:48:04 PM »

Without venturing into the fraught ground of managerial appointments in the last decade, I tend to agree.

The thing is to keep long standing supporters on board as well, and not just to dismiss concerns with a glib statement such as "times move on" (not aimed at anyone in particular).  Bill does have his own personal  long standing commitment to the club, and I noticed that he did  walk down and "have a word" with the new stewards on Saturday, after which the far third of the Popular Side was opened.

I think what I am saying is there might be one or two more awkward moments, or growing pains, if you like, but there is enough knowledge of the history and spirit of the club on the board, that we should be able to retain all supporters, while being sensitive to their concerns.

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2022, 09:24:36 AM »

Maybe not quite true. Trafford had a gazebo with a man selling cans of beer. Not to everyone's taste maybe, but it was quick and effective (another thing I loved about Trafford were those wooden seats. The little things really do matter...).

Agreed, we could easily have a separate stall in the CSH offering cans and bottles. Makes absolute sense.

The way the club has responded to poor service in the CSH is offering loyALTY subscribers a jump of the inordinate queue. Recognising the problem without solving it..
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 09:27:19 AM by Seth »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2022, 09:49:55 AM »

Yes. The current situation is not ideal. I can't stand for the length of time it sometimes takes to be served due to my mobility issues. Plus I like two pints before the game so Mrs S has to go for me and juggle two wainwright's and a glass of Red on her own.
The upside (for me) is she gets to pay for them! 😉 😂
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2022, 10:35:06 AM »

On a football note, the highlights were excellent as usual. We grew into the game and how we didn't win it beggars belief, cannot see why the penalty was not awarded for a blatant foul and the off side for Dinanga baffles me. Maybe CoCo was running back from offside when receiving the ball, but hats clutching at straws.

Two points dropped, poor officiating and Dinanga should have been on much earlier. Good to be up and running with a point but should have been 3.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2022, 10:42:19 AM »

Is it me, or do we always start so slowly and finish strong in games? Especially at home.
It's all my fault.

andrewflynn

« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2022, 10:44:57 AM »

Agreed, we could easily have a separate stall in the CSH offering cans and bottles. Makes absolute sense.

The way the club has responded to poor service in the CSH is offering loyALTY subscribers a jump of the inordinate queue. Recognising the problem without solving it..

This was offered at a few home games last season and seemed to be very popular. I'm not sure why it isn't more consistent because as you say, I'd much rather pay £3 for a cold can poured into a cup, than queue 15 minutes for a £4 pint I have to rush.

Re. the LoyAlty queue, I think it's important to say that this wasn't introduced as a fix for queuing problems, but rather, as a perk for supporting a certain tier of the scheme.

There will always be queueing problems in the CSH as it simply is not set up to meet the demand of however many hundred people wanting a pint within a 15-minute timeframe.

The club has visibly put far more staff on to try and meet the demand, and introduced lane queueing, but it will never be enough. The only suggestion I have to try and make it marginally better is introducing a max order of 4 pints per person, which is commonplace at bigger sporting venues now (Old Trafford cricket ground for example). Too many times I've been stood in the queue behind someone who's getting drinks added to their order from mates stood outside the queue. You end up waiting for about a dozen pints to be poured last minute.

As maligned and debated as it has become, the Fan Zone can't come quick enough if simply to take some of the pressure from the CSH bar.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Opening day Match Thread.