PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Opening day Match Thread.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Opening day Match Thread.  (Read 14102 times)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Opening day Match Thread.
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2022, 05:23:11 PM »

I have been told by different sources - one being a club officual - that leaning on the popside barrier is being reinstated.
It is where I have stood, with many others, for the last 19 seasons as a ST holder (casual attendee before that picking out games from the S&A Messenger). Hopefully sorted soon because the popside terrace does not have anywhere that offers an unrestricted view of the whole pitch.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2022, 05:29:27 PM »

do us pensioners have to pay £19 or is there a  lower rate for us?
£15 old codgers

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2022, 05:45:12 PM »

I started go to Alty again after being a fairly irregular watcher in the 70s/80s for the 94/95 season and got hooked. Handy for home, not expensive to get in, lots of local away games, lots midweek too, relaxed atmosphere, stand where you want, i could go on. That's all gone now. I doubt I'll go to an away game this season and at £19 I don't think I'll go to every home game, especially if the team go on a losing run. I want entertainment, and if I ain't getting entertained I'm not paying for torture. I barely went in the recent relegation seasons, but I went to a lot in the Evostik and following NLN seasons. Why? Because it was fun, entertaining, relaxed (stand where you want  (pretty much)), bring your own sandwiches, lots of away games not too far away, and not too much to get in.

So in a nutshell I miss the non-league experience you got following Alty up to quite recently. That's definitely gone now - segregation, stewards every six feet, no leaning on the fence, security scans outside the ground.

I stopped going to the speedway at Belle Vue when getting in , parking and buying a programme started costing over twenty quid, and i wasn't the only one judging by the paltry attendances they get. I don't buy a programme at Alty or use the catering, but it doesn't seem that many years ago that paying £20 at Luton seemed a helluva a lot of money to watch a football match. £19 at Alty now seems a lot, especially when you look at the state of the place you're paying to go in to.

I suppose quite a few people prefer football on your terms.
If you want to be supporting a successful professional team in this league, this is what it costs. In fact most sides in the league charge more.
The experience of years ago is nostalgic and appealing but it's a different world that we're striving to move on from to something better in lots of ways. The infrestructure hasn't caught up yet but it will do.
If you want a cheap winning team with crowds in the low hundreds, taking your own butties, you really should be watching Trafford.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2022, 05:46:07 PM »

I started go to Alty again after being a fairly irregular watcher in the 70s/80s for the 94/95 season and got hooked. Handy for home, not expensive to get in, lots of local away games, lots midweek too, relaxed atmosphere, stand where you want, i could go on. That's all gone now. I doubt I'll go to an away game this season and at £19 I don't think I'll go to every home game, especially if the team go on a losing run. I want entertainment, and if I ain't getting entertained I'm not paying for torture. I barely went in the recent relegation seasons, but I went to a lot in the Evostik and following NLN seasons. Why? Because it was fun, entertaining, relaxed (stand where you want  (pretty much)), bring your own sandwiches, lots of away games not too far away, and not too much to get in.

So in a nutshell I miss the non-league experience you got following Alty up to quite recently. That's definitely gone now - segregation, stewards every six feet, no leaning on the fence, security scans outside the ground.

I stopped going to the speedway at Belle Vue when getting in , parking and buying a programme started costing over twenty quid, and i wasn't the only one judging by the paltry attendances they get. I don't buy a programme at Alty or use the catering, but it doesn't seem that many years ago that paying £20 at Luton seemed a helluva a lot of money to watch a football match. £19 at Alty now seems a lot, especially when you look at the state of the place you're paying to go in to.
I go whatever the form however I do tend to agree with your last point in terms of the ground overall it's a bit of a catch 22 with needing the money .... However we have found it for the new lounge and VIP area . I do hope the "common" fan is not being left behind somewhat
Come on you red and white........

Ian Harwood (Hale Alty)

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2022, 06:16:11 PM »

If you want to be supporting a successful professional team in this league, this is what it costs. In fact most sides in the league charge more.
The experience of years ago is nostalgic and appealing but it's a different world that we're striving to move on from to something better in lots of ways. The infrestructure hasn't caught up yet but it will do.
If you want a cheap winning team with crowds in the low hundreds, taking your own butties, you really should be watching Trafford.

I'd go and watch Warrington but the fence is too low and made my back ache.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2022, 06:17:33 PM »

Excellent post. It’s how I feel too.
I’ve been watching since the mid-1950s and have always felt welcomed and needed.
Not now.

I’m only needed if I open my wallet and contribute to the many new revenue streams that have been dreamt up by the board. And I certainly don’t like being phoned to see why I’ve not bought a season ticket this year. The Altrincham and Moss Lane experiences are alien to me now.

I’ve lived in Bury since 1979 and have seen no more than 2 EFL matches since then. I’ve always supported my “home” team instead - Alty. But I think it could be an exciting time to watch football blossom at Gigg Lane once again and I may be tempted to become a regular for the first time in 43 years - the ground is superb, and I can walk to it.

I’m grateful to have lived through the White and Swales years and what has been, and is likely to ever be, the best years of Altrincham FC.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2022, 06:26:58 PM »

Two casual fans who came for the first time yesterday stood by me and we’re quite impressed, especially with Coco,  CCC, Aaron Bennett & Toby.

I would like to think they will return.

Nice blokes.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2022, 06:32:34 PM »

Two casual fans who came for the first time yesterday stood by me and we’re quite impressed, especially with Coco,  CCC, Aaron Bennett & Toby.

Nice blokes.

Nice blokes.
Hope they weren't scouts on the prowl. 🤔🤔

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2022, 07:07:17 PM »

I’ve been watching since the mid-1950s and have always felt welcomed and needed.
Not now.

I’m only needed if I open my wallet and contribute to the many new revenue streams that have been dreamt up by the board. And I certainly don’t like being phoned to see why I’ve not bought a season ticket this year. The Altrincham and Moss Lane experiences are alien to me now.

I’ve lived in Bury since 1979 and have seen no more than 2 EFL matches since then. I’ve always supported my “home” team instead - Alty. But I think it could be an exciting time to watch football blossom at Gigg Lane once again and I may be tempted to become a regular for the first time in 43 years - the ground is superb, and I can walk to it.

I’m grateful to have lived through the White and Swales years and what has been, and is likely to ever be, the best years of Altrincham FC.

Unfortunately we have to roll with the times and our target is to get into the Football League. We have gone full time which means we have to charge more for games, so we can match those who are full time.

The Stewarding was reviewed after the council saga. We 100% needed improvement on that side, not only to look professional but safety. There have been some terrible firms tried , but on Saturday they seemed friendly enough to me.

The club need incentives to generate funds to keep us alive at this level.  Football is a business so they have to be proactive.

I have been going for approx 35 years and yes it is more controlled but it is the same at all grounds from National League above. Same at gigs and why not be searched and wanded??

We unfortunately live in a world where people walk into crowds and blow people up. Alty would be an easy target without security measures.

We have the best management team that I have probably seen and some really talented players. More younger fans come and the atmosphere is decent.

Yes, they need to sort out the service in CSH.

Yes, the Fanzone is a joke and it should be made priority to sort out.

Yes, the ground needs a lot of work but this board were unlucky to have been left with this by years and years of neglect. They are improving it and not sat on their arses.

I am mega excited watching this Alty team.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2022, 07:13:11 PM »

Nice blokes.

Nice blokes.
Hope they weren't scouts on the prowl. 🤔🤔

No they were both probably in there 20s who have recently moved to the area.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2022, 07:26:27 PM »

I'd go and watch Warrington but the fence is too low and made my back ache.

Glad its not just me then. Plus the ground is cold by September 😄

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2022, 07:29:17 PM »

Not now.

Unfortunately we have to roll with the times and our target is to get into the Football League. We have gone full time which means we have to charge more for games, so we can match those who are full time.

The Stewarding was reviewed after the council saga. We 100% needed improvement on that side, not only to look professional but safety. There have been some terrible firms tried , but on Saturday they seemed friendly enough to me.

The club need incentives to generate funds to keep us alive at this level.  Football is a business so they have to be proactive.

I have been going for approx 35 years and yes it is more controlled but it is the same at all grounds from National League above. Same at gigs and why not be searched and wanded??

We unfortunately live in a world where people walk into crowds and blow people up. Alty would be an easy target without security measures.

We have the best management team that I have probably seen and some really talented players. More younger fans come and the atmosphere is decent.

Yes, they need to sort out the service in CSH.

Yes, the Fanzone is a joke and it should be made priority to sort out.

Yes, the ground needs a lot of work but this board were unlucky to have been left with this by years and years of neglect. They are improving it and not sat on their arses.

I am mega excited watching this Alty team.

Agree with this post…

I live in Shrewsbury. The football team have never inspired me to want to watch them so I choose to drive the one and half hours to watch Alty.  We enjoy the journey (apart from yesterday when Shropshire & Cheshire highways decided to close the A49 in Cholmondley with not many diversion signs hence the trip took us 2 hrs 20 mins. The drive home was a lot more leisurely and air wasn’t as Blue 😉

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2022, 08:09:56 PM »

If we want to progress as a club and even contemplate going beyond this division, let alone stay in it, then we have to accept that we need to be more professional, money savvy and commercially focussed. That or get a sugar daddy in which no doubt would have its own vocal opposition too.

We can't have it both ways on this; you're not going to get the "traditional non-league experience" at this level any more, and I'd rather lose that than see us tumble down the divisions again.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2022, 08:20:05 PM »

If we want to progress as a club and even contemplate going beyond this division, let alone stay in it, then we have to accept that we need to be more professional, money savvy and commercially focussed. That or get a sugar daddy in which no doubt would have its own vocal opposition too.

We can't have it both ways on this; you're not going to get the "traditional non-league experience" at this level any more, and I'd rather lose that than see us tumble down the divisions again.

Agreed.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2022, 08:27:10 PM »

There's a delicate balancing act between moving the club forwards and forgetting its soul; it aint all about the money, otherwise we'd all be heading to Old Trafford every week or sitting at home with our Sky Sports subscriptions.

For me, my favourite times in recent years was strolling right through the Golf Road End to the wooden Libero hut - which never seemed to be that busy - getting a lovely pint of Pomona Pale, and taking it to the terrace to watch the game.

Now I completely understand I can't have that last bit anymore due to the rules - however, the club had worked so hard to build a community spirit - the LGBT shirts, improved social media etc - now it just seems more... aloof.

On the point of Libero which I appreciate was raised on another thread - they're part of the very fabric of the modern iteration of this club, and I'll be extremely upset if they're not in the club's plans going forward.

And yes, the service in the CSH was shocking. By the time I got served, they'd kicked off the second half.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Opening day Match Thread.