PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Improving the website
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: Improving the website  (Read 13147 times)

andrewflynn

Improving the website
« on: July 19, 2022, 03:57:49 PM »

I've re-volunteered to help the club get the new website where it needs to be, amongst other bits and pieces.

Can I ask anyone with feedback on the website in its current format to explain where they feel it is falling short?

Similarly, it would be good to hear where people think the website has improved since it was relaunched, so that we don't lose anything.

I'm trying to gather as much clear feedback as possible so I can prioritise this into short, medium and long term improvements. I hope you can appreciate that some functions, like back-dated historical results data, are going to take a lot longer to sort out than uploading this year's fixtures, for example.

Please be as concise and direct as you can, many thanks.

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: Improving the website
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 04:24:06 PM »

Are all the articles posted on the previous website gone forever? or is there a way of getting them back and continuing to host them? I was a bit disappointed to see match reports I had written for the club no longer available.

I think a really nice feature of the JL website is that it serves also as an archive of information
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 04:26:39 PM by Seth »

andrewflynn

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 04:35:37 PM »

Are all the articles posted on the previous website gone forever? or is there a way of getting them back and continuing to host them? I was a bit disappointed to see match reports I had written for the club no longer available.

I think a really nice feature of the JL website is that it serves also as an archive of information

The site was launched without the backdated news articles unfortunately mate, however the company I work for were hosting the old website and have relaunched it on a private server so that we can go back through and get them copied across.

I completely agree re archived info.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 04:39:15 PM »

It would be good to have an archive section. I realise that it is a massive task but hopefully it can be inserted into the new site over the coming months/season or however long a task like this would take. I’m not pc savvy enough to know the time needed for this sort of thing.

Glad to read you are back on board Andrew, and the rest of the techy crew … Thanks…

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 04:49:46 PM »

Thank fuk.

Welcome back
Full time and proud of it

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 06:19:55 PM »

Current and contemporary information about the Women's set up is a must IMO

Erin, amongst others, will I feel sure be a useful aid in this regard.

Also information about Junior Teams. For example, were you aware that Altrincham had a National Champion Team?

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 08:47:07 PM »

My main feedback is the speed of update. Getting results and quick report up asap is the main thing, it was a bigger issue when there was no live update page either. Info on the first team squad was also missing but is there now.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2022, 09:04:54 PM »

I have to say a way of linking to John Laidlers site would be great, still the best place to hear the news and learn about other teams
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 09:14:38 PM »

I suggest that it would be interesting to have links to some historical media reports and coverage of the club (eg some of those legendary John King interviews, the Wycombe FAT semi - or for that matter Wayno's expert prediction on that Alfreton match!). I don't see why the likes of Youtube should have these and not us (and it might make things easier for some of Parky's presentations!). I don't know if there are copyright issues or anything, but surely this would be worth pursuing if possible?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 09:24:58 PM by Hugh »

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 09:51:23 PM »

my view is we do need a live text commentary of our games,RR is great but it does go off air a few times and i have always found the text a good backup for when this happens.
Harold

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 10:33:29 PM »

my view is we do need a live text commentary of our games,RR is great but it does go off air a few times and i have always found the text a good backup for when this happens.
I agree Harold. My partner isn't into football, so I have to retire to my bedroom to listen to RR. Text isn't a problem.

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 11:08:29 PM »

The site was launched without the backdated news articles unfortunately mate, however the company I work for were hosting the old website and have relaunched it on a private server so that we can go back through and get them copied across.

I completely agree re archived info.

Cheers mate, happy to help if you need a hand with that

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 11:23:15 PM »

It would be good to have a dedicated fixture page, and results.
Thank you for all the hard work you do 👍🏻

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2022, 02:12:31 PM »

2-00pm team news would be nice
Full time and proud of it

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2022, 10:35:53 PM »

My main feedback is the speed of update. Getting results and quick report up asap is the main thing, it was a bigger issue when there was no live update page either. Info on the first team squad was also missing but is there now.

Speed of updates!  Even JL’s approach of stringing the tweets together to make a match report is better than complete silence. Home page doesn’t even acknowledge the game happened. The fixtures page hasn’t even got the Stockport score up yet. The old site had live text updates so you could catch up part way through the match or afterwards.

Update JL has now updated his site with a copy of the Stoke report so two updates before the official site even has the result available. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 10:39:17 PM by Bath Alty »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Improving the website