PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Improving the website
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Improving the website  (Read 13231 times)

Ian Harwood (Hale Alty)

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
Re: Improving the website
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2022, 11:00:00 PM »

Match reports on the evening after a match might be nice.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2022, 09:53:16 AM »

One on the JL site 👍😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Ian Harwood (Hale Alty)

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2022, 10:12:41 AM »

The JL website is the only one I bother with. If there is anything relevant on the club site he links to it anyway.

10.00am the morning after match day the club website still only carries a match preview. This isn't a very good signal to send to fans, potential fans, advertisers, sponsors and investors.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 10:15:23 AM by Ian Harwood (Hale Alty) »

b23

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2022, 10:45:47 AM »

The club website seems more interested in selling merchandise and tickets at the expense of any real updates. I think it is awful and not even very user friendly when you get there.  I'd not usually think of using it. John's website every time for me. I'd be interested to know what aspects of the clubs website are deemed better??

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2022, 12:27:20 PM »

The club website seems more interested in selling merchandise and tickets at the expense of any real updates. I think it is awful and not even very user friendly when you get there.  I'd not usually think of using it. John's website every time for me. I'd be interested to know what aspects of the clubs website are deemed better??

Probably not a popular view on this thread but I'd say the commercial angle is probably the most important part of a full time football club's website in 2022.

I'll also stick my neck out and say that a football club's digital presence these days is far far more than just the website. If I visit the website it's because I've seen something on our twitter feed and then follow the link, I'm probably not alone in that.

I totally agree with the criticism of slow updates, that is undoubtedly the new site's biggest weakness and it needs resolving.

The two websites discussed here are so totally different in format, priority and content that I don't see how you are going to make a big fan of one site enamoured of the other tbh.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2022, 12:44:59 PM »

I think it's down to how much time is spent on it. The JL site is updated about ten pm for the next day and includes not only Alty news but a league digest. John obviously spends quite a bit of time on this to the point where, when he's on holiday, we all miss the updates.
The official club website is clearly maintained by people who have many other things to deal with.
I'm not sure how this can be resolved without someone taking control of it and spending a few hours a day doing it. I can't see that happening as there's so many other things to keep on top of.
It's plain to me that there's a distinct focus on the financial side but as the club needs to generate more revenue, this is understandable and, indeed, essential.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2022, 12:45:06 PM »

Match reports on the evening after a match might be nice.
Arriving on the website around 6pm like the football pink and green. 😎

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2022, 12:57:22 PM »

Probably not a popular view on this thread but I'd say the commercial angle is probably the most important part of a full time football club's website in 2022.

I'll also stick my neck out and say that a football club's digital presence these days is far far more than just the website. If I visit the website it's because I've seen something on our twitter feed and then follow the link, I'm probably not alone in that.

I totally agree with the criticism of slow updates, that is undoubtedly the new site's biggest weakness and it needs resolving.

The two websites discussed here are so totally different in format, priority and content that I don't see how you are going to make a big fan of one site enamoured of the other tbh.

Exactly this Bob. The clubs priority with the website is not a blow by blow account of a goalless draw at Bromley more drawing people in to buy match tickets, merchandise, sponsorships etc. As you rightly say the social media accounts are almost certain to be viewed by many more people than the website too & they aren’t really mentioned much on this thread (we have 26000 followers of the Clubs official Twitter account for example).

I also think this forum generally has an older demographic which perhaps leads itself to certain assumptions & views about the clubs online presence which would not necessarily be shared by younger fans who are unlikely to even know this forum exists. The match day updates is a good example, if 26k people follow the clubs Twitter account then that is the obvious place for the club to prioritise putting out match day score updates, website updates would be nice too sure but Twitter will reach by far the widest audience most quickly.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2022, 02:10:25 PM »

So it's twitter and Facebook and the club website for the younguns and JL and on here for us old timers, right? 🤔😂

PS. Does that mean you're an old codger too, like us, mate?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 02:11:57 PM by Saughall Robin »

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2022, 02:52:51 PM »

Very good point about this forum actually. Is it valuable to and appreciated by those who use it, and with some very good opinions and debate? No question.  Does it accurately represent a cross section of all those who follow or support us? Probably not.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2022, 03:20:49 PM »

Very good point about this forum actually. Is it valuable to and appreciated by those who use it, and with some very good opinions and debate? No question.  Does it accurately represent a cross section of all those who follow or support us? Probably not.

For those, like me, who are now semi-IT literate, this forum is the place for me to go to talk Alty.

I have dipped my toe into both Facebook and Twitter and found them to have stacks of anger, bitterness, hate, negativity, racism, conspiracy theories and lazy, casual abuse. I cannot have that in my head due to how I am mentally, a set of wild horses couldn't drag me back there.

Come on Alty.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2022, 03:40:17 PM »

So it's twitter and Facebook and the club website for the younguns and JL and on here for us old timers, right? 🤔😂

I like to think I can (just about) straddle both audiences having just turned 40!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2022, 04:10:55 PM »

I like to think I can (just about) straddle both audiences having just turned 40!

As someone who is about to turn 72, I can confirm that you're still a youngster.(in my eyes anyway😂)

PS. As a matter of fact, three of my  children are older than you 🤯
(and the other two aren't far behind you!)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 04:14:45 PM by Saughall Robin »

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2022, 04:28:37 PM »

As someone who is about to turn 72, I can confirm that you're still a youngster.(in my eyes anyway😂)

Is it panto season already?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2022, 04:32:07 PM »

Is it panto season already?

Every day is panto day at our house! 😉
Especially when some of the grandkids turn up 😂😂
Ohhhhh yes it is!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Improving the website