PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fanatic Zone
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Fanatic Zone  (Read 15709 times)

andrewflynn

Re: Fanatic Zone
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2022, 10:33:53 AM »

Is there any way of getting our money back as what we initially invested in isn't going to happen?
Work has restarted on the zone, there was a partly completed wooden fence erected between the ground and the zone visible on Saturday. Not sure what else has been completed. I imagine getting running fresh water, power etc is a task as well.

I am sure that some of these utilities run under the pitch from the main stand, which adds another hurdle.

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2022, 01:42:46 PM »

Ultimately, I'm just disappointed that the club appear to have shafted a business that flies the flag for us so well. I do hope the bridge hasn't been burned entirely.

As for the the fan zone, in whatever form it does finally take, it was created to drive footfall to the ground earlier, and generate more revenue from food and drink. I do not think it will achieve that aim if it is 'standard' bottled and canned options akin to the CSH. The fans who were interested in this project will likely to continue to drink in the town centre pre-game, probably at the bar that we could have had at the ground.

Very strongly agree with this sentiment.  I thought the Libero link-up was a big plus for the Club: good beer, local ind. company, likely to bring fans in earlier etc.  As a general point, I think the Club needs to exercise care moving forward into the professional era, and they will need to tread carefully the fine line that separates the core fan base from the (new) corporate backers who may stipulate unpopular demands in return for their sponsorship.  An interesting, local comparison might be to Sale FC who rebranded themselves as Sale Sharks in the run up to rugby going professional.  There, the board marketed the Club aggressively to attract a larger crowd that they hoped would ensure their survival.  While they have been successful in making the transition (propped up by RFU money?) I think the fan base has altered dramatically and would be unrecognisable from their time at Heywood Road.  As we move into this new pro-era, we must be prepared to embrace change, but not forget our roots, what it is we stand for, and the reason why we chose to support Alty in the first place.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2022, 02:03:52 PM »

I'm still cross, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is it, both on the fan zone and the make shift VIP zone which was a farce Apparantly on Saturday,

If the club want some hands on hospitality experience in various similar projects, I'd be happy to help get this sorted from a fans perspective.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 02:09:32 PM by HashtagAlty »
It's all my fault.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2022, 02:18:42 PM »

Ultimately, I'm just disappointed that the club appear to have shafted a business that flies the flag for us so well. I do hope the bridge hasn't been burned entirely.

As for the the fan zone, in whatever form it does finally take, it was created to drive footfall to the ground earlier, and generate more revenue from food and drink. I do not think it will achieve that aim if it is 'standard' bottled and canned options akin to the CSH. The fans who were interested in this project will likely to continue to drink in the town centre pre-game, probably at the bar that we could have had at the ground.

Very strongly agree with this sentiment.  I thought the Libero link-up was a big plus for the Club: good beer, local ind. company, likely to bring fans in earlier etc.  As a general point, I think the Club needs to exercise care moving forward into the professional era, and they will need to tread carefully the fine line that separates the core fan base from the (new) corporate backers who may stipulate unpopular demands in return for their sponsorship.  An interesting, local comparison might be to Sale FC who rebranded themselves as Sale Sharks in the run up to rugby going professional.  There, the board marketed the Club aggressively to attract a larger crowd that they hoped would ensure their survival.  While they have been successful in making the transition (propped up by RFU money?) I think the fan base has altered dramatically and would be unrecognisable from their time at Heywood Road.  As we move into this new pro-era, we must be prepared to embrace change, but not forget our roots, what it is we stand for, and the reason why we chose to support Alty in the first place.

Think Sale’s fan base altered dramatically due to the move from Heywood Road to the AJ Bell stadium in Salford. The difference in getting there from the wealthier Cheshire environs of Wilmslow, Alderney Edge, Altrincham was dramatically altered. Edgeley Park suited it very well but the AJ Bell May as wel be on the moon it’s that difficult to access.

So not really a true comparison although I know what you’re getting at.

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2022, 02:48:43 PM »

Think Sale’s fan base altered dramatically due to the move from Heywood Road to the AJ Bell stadium in Salford. The difference in getting there from the wealthier Cheshire environs of Wilmslow, Alderney Edge, Altrincham was dramatically altered. Edgeley Park suited it very well but the AJ Bell May as wel be on the moon it’s that difficult to access.

So not really a true comparison although I know what you’re getting at.

I agree with you about the AJB, but I think EP had limited appeal to core fans too.  The move from Heywood Road was made necessary to meet the demands of Premiership Rugby who stipulated ground size etc.  If Alty meet the ambition expressed by the Board we will likely have to deal with a similar conundrum.  TBH, I think this is a long way in the future, if at all, and what I was alluding to in my OP was the need to satisfy sponsors and attract larger footfall, without alienating the hardcore fans.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2022, 08:02:57 PM »

Point of order.

This has got nothing to do with Thwaites.

Marston's relieved Thwaites of the Wainright brand in 2015. They also got Lancaster Bomber at the same time. The 61 Deep mentioned by One Foot in the Grave is a Marston's beer and is named after the depth of the well in the Burton brewery.

Marstons was merged with Carlsberg a couple of years ago. Carlsberg holds 51% of the stock and Marstons 49%.

As far as I can discern Marstons don't do any craft beers so it will all depend on what the relationship is with Marstons as to what they are at liberty to sell.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2022, 08:27:21 PM »

Point of order.

This has got nothing to do with Thwaites.

Marston's relieved Thwaites of the Wainright brand in 2015. They also got Lancaster Bomber at the same time. The 61 Deep mentioned by One Foot in the Grave is a Marston's beer and is named after the depth of the well in the Burton brewery.

Marstons was merged with Carlsberg a couple of years ago. Carlsberg holds 51% of the stock and Marstons 49%.

As far as I can discern Marstons don't do any craft beers so it will all depend on what the relationship is with Marstons as to what they are at liberty to sell.

Its unlikely Marstons own the tender pouring for the fan zone as the Fan Zone came after the CSH contract.

If a fresh tender is going to be undertaken by the board, it is not uncommon for the club to dictate what products they want on each bar (Entry Lager, World or European Session Lager etc).

Given the money spent by AB, Molson Coors and Heineken to acquire sports club pouring rights, I'd be disappointed if we continued with Marstons beyond the original CSH contract, and if we did, even more disappointed if we ended up them running our flagshap craft beer bar, when Seven Brothers or Pamona themselves might jump at it.
It's all my fault.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2022, 08:44:29 PM »

I'd be disappointed too to the point of ignoring the Fanzone.

Commercial realities kick in though. I have dealings with another club bar and the beer comes in at £1.30 a pint. If the CSH are selling stuff at £4 plus that is a hefty margin. The margin on craft ale won't be as big.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2022, 08:53:54 PM »

These new plans for the Fan Zone make me absolutely despair. Of course it makes sense on one level for the club to maximise revenue but if the intention is just to replicate the very poor beer selection from the CSH, that will backfire massively. It's so short-sighted not to see what value Libero and other independent food outlets could add to the matchday experience. More than that though, Libero seems to have done more than the club itself to at least try and get the Fan Zone up and running. So for us to boot them out now is really shoddy. Incredibly disappointing.

Don't Dulwich Hamlet do something of the sort with good quality independent food and drink at Champion Hill? There was even a suggestion that some people come there more for this than the football. Certainly they have been getting the crowds in so they must be doing something right! Worth learning from?

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2022, 09:00:10 PM »

I'd be disappointed too to the point of ignoring the Fanzone.

Commercial realities kick in though. I have dealings with another club bar and the beer comes in at £1.30 a pint. If the CSH are selling stuff at £4 plus that is a hefty margin. The margin on craft ale won't be as big.

That's why the fan zone was created, to serve a market away from mass lagers..

Craft beer lovers are not shy of spending more, but are more niche.

It's all my fault.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2022, 09:41:04 PM »

These new plans for the Fan Zone make me absolutely despair. Of course it makes sense on one level for the club to maximise revenue but if the intention is just to replicate the very poor beer selection from the CSH, that will backfire massively. It's so short-sighted not to see what value Libero and other independent food outlets could add to the matchday experience. More than that though, Libero seems to have done more than the club itself to at least try and get the Fan Zone up and running. So for us to boot them out now is really shoddy. Incredibly disappointing.

Don't Dulwich Hamlet do something of the sort with good quality independent food and drink at Champion Hill? There was even a suggestion that some people come there more for this than the football. Certainly they have been getting the crowds in so they must be doing something right! Worth learning from?

As someone who was a semi-regular at Champion Hill until Covid, the Dulwich Hamlet story is an intriguing one but not one we’d want to ape all aspects of. Often described as South London’s biggest beer garden, the number of people who went who clearly were not bothered by the game & would have struggled to name a single Dulwich player was problematic and a lot of long term fans became alienated to the point that they stopped going. The beer and food offering was absolutely sensational though it’s fair to say-that’s the bit I’d want us to ape. The demographics of the local area much more West Didsbury and Chorlton then Altrincham too I’d say.

What for me has always been clear is that we represent a town that is very well known as a food & drink destination now & that if we want to attract & retain new fans we have to reflect that at the ground too & that the Libero beers are very much in line with that.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2022, 05:34:19 PM »

All I really want to say is that currently I VERY rarely eat or drink in the ground as it’s simply not to my taste. If we replicate the current CSH offering in the fanzone then we are just going to sell the same amount as now, something different is required to bring new customers.
I only get to a limited number of games each season but when I do I typically spend £30 or more in town beforehand, money that could be spent inside ML.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2022, 10:20:41 PM »

Certainly things to be learnt from King's Court and Costello's. And there are the people who did up the Gardner's Arms who came in with a reputation for turning places around (as I remember). These are the sort of people we want to be speaking to.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2022, 11:52:10 AM »

Is it the grand opening today ?
ParkINson's red and white army

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2022, 02:33:09 PM »