News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 How Oldham Athletic stumbled their way to relegation to the National League

Author Topic: How Oldham Athletic stumbled their way to relegation to the National League  (Read 2655 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile

Not finished in the top half of a division since 2009. And I don't see that changing this season. This club is a basket case, and if they start badly (and they well might) I can see them going into a major tailspin.

And SC**thorpe are probably even worse.

I believe we're a stronger club in a division that's probably weaker than last season. Carpe diem !

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Four much stronger clubs have come up to replace three pretty weak ones and the bigger clubs have all strengthened so it could be argued that there's even more strength in depth this season.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

So many clubs being so badly run: we know about Scunny coming down and being run into the ground,  and Reading are another club in absolute dire straits according to a Reading fan in Largs!

It is so important to run a club within its means these days

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

So many clubs being so badly run: we know about Scunny coming down and being run into the ground,  and Reading are another club in absolute dire straits according to a Reading fan in Largs!

It is so important to run a club within its means these days

Once a club is in a downward spiral it's hard to stop. It's not one relegation that screw the finances, it's two in quick succession. The budget either gets slashed to live within the new lower income or the club gambles on an instant promotion. We've seen it here. Thankfully we finally got the managerial appointments right.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Details are a bit vague, but it looks like Oldham Athletic are coming under new ownership, so they may just finally be starting to turn the corner.
Apparently our former striker Darren Royle, who was brought up in Oldham, has overseen the deal. More relevantly, he has also been the chief executive at Wigan Athletic.

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/20246908.oldham-athletic-boundary-park-set-new-owner/

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Just our luck for them to be fully sorted and firing on all cylinders by the time we play them! 🙄😊😊
Good luck to them though. After what the fans there have been through, they certainly deserve a bit of good news.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Four much stronger clubs have come up to replace three pretty weak ones and the bigger clubs have all strengthened so it could be argued that there's even more strength in depth this season.

To be fair, it’s often the case that clubs coming up are stronger than clubs coming down, although I know what you mean.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Details are a bit vague, but it looks like Oldham Athletic are coming under new ownership, so they may just finally be starting to turn the corner.
Apparently our former striker Darren Royle, who was brought up in Oldham, has overseen the deal. More relevantly, he has also been the chief executive at Wigan Athletic.

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/20246908.oldham-athletic-boundary-park-set-new-owner/

A local business, not a consortium. Perhaps it's any port in a storm from Athletics point of view, but this smacks of a sugar daddy arrangement.

Got a mate who supports Oldham, he's cautiously optimistic.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

A local business, not a consortium. Perhaps it's any port in a storm from Athletics point of view, but this smacks of a sugar daddy arrangement.

Yes, I tend to agree. An "unnamed local businessman" could have any amount of money, or none, although I am sure the name "Royle" will encourage Oldham supporters.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile

Yes, I tend to agree. An "unnamed local businessman" could have any amount of money, or none, although I am sure the name "Royle" will encourage Oldham supporters.

Those who followed his record at Wigan will probably be looking into starting a phoenix club.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Those who followed his record at Wigan will probably be looking into starting a phoenix club.

You are not the first person to mention that to me....
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 How Oldham Athletic stumbled their way to relegation to the National League