News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Final friendly...

Author Topic: Final friendly...  (Read 2245 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Final friendly...
« on: June 14, 2022, 07:55:04 PM »

Man Utd XI, Saturday 30 July, 3pm ko
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Final friendly...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 10:04:41 PM »

A good chance for our two centre backs to show that useless T**t Macguire how to defend properly

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 09:48:24 AM »

A good chance for our two centre backs to show that useless T**t Macguire how to defend properly
It's against the U23's and some of those will be playing for the 1st team that day. Doubt Maguire will be playing. still be a good test.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 10:33:16 AM »

It's against the U23's and some of those will be playing for the 1st team that day. Doubt Maguire will be playing. still be a good test.

Yep, it was a tongue in cheek comment, I wouldn’t expect any First teasers to play.  in fairness watching the young lads play is good to see.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 11:02:39 AM »

Yep, it was a tongue in cheek comment, I wouldn’t expect any First teasers to play.  in fairness watching the young lads play is good to see.

If they're 23 they're probably going to be older than most of our team!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 03:09:41 PM »

You couldn't teach Maguire anything. That's his problem. He knows it all. Do you know who I am bad attitude.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 12:11:20 AM »

Shoretire, McNeil, Diallo, Fish etc....
....and Charlie "Son of Macc owner" Savage!

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 09:11:05 AM »

Shoretire, McNeil, Diallo, Fish etc....
....and Charlie "Son of Macc owner" Savage!

Yep, there should still be some interesting names on show - Garnacho, Mengi, Bernard, Levitt etc

They won the FA Youth Cup this year for the first time in ages, so there's a good chance a lot of this bunch will become household names.

Also gives us the chance to look at potential loanees given we're fishing in a slightly different pond now?

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 09:59:26 AM »

I imagine Garnacho will be on tour with the first team, I would be surprised to see him at Alty, but it would provide us with a stern test if he was there.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2022, 11:09:46 AM »

I remember back in the early 1970's a friendly v a Utd Xl , coming down from the station there must have been at least a dozen police officers at different points on Moss Lane ?  What a joke and completely OTT , the crowd was around a thousand with barely a handful of fans from Traffords other full professional club !

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2022, 11:26:19 AM »

I think that was in response to the 'friendly' we had with City in the late 60's which we lost 0-4 (?).
There wasn't much violence, as far as I can recall, but lots of abusive chanting and a very threatening (to a teenager) atmosphere all round.
The later city friendly when we beat malcolm Allison's first team (a testimonial for a few of our players?) was a fantastic evening however!

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2022, 06:23:46 PM »

There was another v City first team , 71 or 2 i think .  They won with a late goal and the ref blew up early when their fans invaded the pitch to mob Rodney Marsh , Colin Bell and co .
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Final friendly...