News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Obscure Ticks

Author Topic: Obscure Ticks  (Read 2155 times)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Obscure Ticks
« on: June 08, 2022, 09:02:28 AM »

Following on from worst defeat, what's the most obscure game you've seen Robins involved in?

There's obviously the infamous Malawi, we've recently played IOM XI but anymore stand outs? Pwllheli on the other thread sounds a cracker
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 09:07:49 AM by HashtagAlty »
It's all my fault.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Obscure Ticks
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 10:31:50 AM »

Mid-season friendly away at Trafford in 1994/95. Roger Palmer played as a triallist and Peter Stanier made possibly his only appearance for the club. Trafford won 1-0, if I remember correctly.
Come on Alty!

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 10:41:46 AM »

PSF away at Alton Royale in the early 90s. Never heard of them before or after, and no idea why we played them. It was somewhere around Birmingham I recall.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 12:46:10 PM »

PSF away at Alton Royale in the early 90s. Never heard of them before or after, and no idea why we played them. It was somewhere around Birmingham I recall.

Great call. We played them to open their new ground, because Jeff Wealands was friends with the Olton Royale Chairman from his days playing for Birmingham City & living in Solihull.
Mark Carter played in that game for us.
This was the first match of the 1991/2 pre-season & played about a month before John King & Graham Heathcote resigned a week before the start of the season.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 12:47:43 PM »

Great call. We played them to open their new ground, because Jeff Wealands was friends with the Olton Royale Chairman from his days playing for Birmingham City & living in Solihull.
This was the first match of the 1991/2 pre-season & played about a month before John King & Graham Heathcote resigned a week before the start of the season.

Here's hoping we don't have a similar summer.
It's all my fault.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 12:55:54 PM »

I was going to mention that one. The club were actually called Olton Royale, and they were one of the leading Sunday clubs around Birmingham. The link was that their manager lived next door to Jeff Wealands when the latter played for Birmingham City. They kept in touch when he moved north, and Olton challenged to us a game.  I am pretty sure we won, but can't remember the score (possibly 4-1?).

Although Olton is in Solihull, the club played some distance away at Baytree Farm, in the countryside south of Birmingham at Hockley Heath where they shared with West Heath United. It was a proper ground with  a stand, but was as rural as its name indicates, and am sure I can remember a playing have to climb over a wall to rescue the ball from a farmyard after a wayward shot!

Olton Royale later switched to Saturday football, joining the Midland Combination, where they reached as high as the Premier Division  (North West Counties Div 2 equivalent at the time, I think) before disappearing in 1996.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 03:35:44 PM »

RAF Valley away, think it was the same season as the game above. We played some Japanese works outfit at home at some point also I remember.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 04:20:15 PM »

It was Mazda we played at home! Thanks to AA
for remembering that one!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 06:19:15 PM by Mrs Warbouys »

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 08:04:07 PM »

RAF Valley away, think it was the same season as the game above. We played some Japanese works outfit at home at some point also I remember.

A fair few lads traipsed up to Anglesey for the 3pm kick off only to find it had been played at 1pm because the players were basically there for a piss up and got it out of the way.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 08:08:36 PM »

Didn't we play a team called Ilnest or Il Nest in a friendly during the 90's?
Come on Alty!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2022, 08:09:10 PM »

Wow, I didn’t know Carter had played in that. Did Showler play too? Must’ve been their only appearance together for Alty.

I wonder if that was a sign of the season that should’ve come. Carter had obviously done his job and made his money from Barnet by getting them promoted. Or to be perfectly honest, not getting us promoted, which I think was Flashman’s plan.

He always struck me as a reluctant league footballer. I wonder what else was planned.

Was the Simon Rudge and Tony Edwards deal put in place by Kingy and just ploughed on with anyway. We certainly needed a right back.

I presume Densmore (Peter) came back as he didn’t drive and had always car shared with Gary Anderson.

At the very least I think we should’ve had the early 90s that Runcorn had with McKenna, Shaw and Anderson (?) in their side if not the one Barnet and Bury had with Showler and Daws.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Obscure Ticks