PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What was everyone's worse ever defeat?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What was everyone's worse ever defeat?  (Read 6489 times)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Re: What was everyone's worse ever defeat?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2022, 09:38:33 PM »

Surprised no one has mentioned the FA Trophy semi final defeat to Scarborough in the second replay at Doncaster in what? 1977?   Didn't Mickey Moore miss a penalty?  I remember being so upset as I followed on Piccadilly Radio Sports updates from the game that night..... :(

I should have included that one in my original post. It was an awful penalty.

The Trophy defeat at home to Cheltenham who had an outfield player in goal was another.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 09:41:00 PM by One Foot in the Grave »

cornishrobin

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2022, 09:47:15 PM »

Mine was that 4-3 away to FGR after winning first half 0-3 that was a sorry drive home alone

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2022, 10:23:40 PM »

Morecambe away 0-7 Jerome John had the shots covered "but couldn't reach".

Spurs, the second time. We was robbed & Shaun Constable would have been a legend.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2022, 10:36:24 PM »

Seen a few absolute stinkers v Slough (including I think a 7-3 home loss).

But for sheer depression, our defeat at Chorley in the relegation to Evostik season just about takes the biscuit. Fans heckling our own players, no players warming up before the match and subs who clearly did not want to come on. Absolute nightmare.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2022, 10:44:51 PM »

Great thread this . I concur with all of the above and in particular the South Liverpool debacle inspired by Albie Nieman and Eric Shreeve , and yes we were lucky it was only 0-6 !  Others that immidietely spring to mind include honourless ' upsets' by he likes of the mighty Sandbach Ramblers , Pwllheli & District , Winsford Utd amd Cammell Laird in various cups .

Yes, that Pwllheli one!
I've often wondered how they came to be in the FA trophy when they never played in an English league? Nantlle Vale, who I think they beat in the previous round, too. Freddie Pye managed NV in the sixties too before he came to us (not directly before) didn't he?

There used to be a reciprocal arrangement where a number of clubs (sixteen, maybe, though I might not have that number right) from Wales and England were able to compete in each others' cups, even though they played in domestic Welsh or English football. Wales didn't have an FA Trophy equivalent so a few clubs from the Welsh League (North) were allowed to take part  in that, rather than the FA Amateur Cup or Vase. The clubs weren't always near the border either. Besides the likes of Pwllheli and District and Nantlle Vale on  one side, I can remember Stourbridge and Kidderminster Harriers in the Welsh Cup.

These defeats bring back some traumatic memories. Considering the way the match went and the outcome from the result, I think Eastbourne Borough was the worst. I can still see the ball going between Craig Dootson's legs.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2022, 11:34:08 PM »

Hereford United were the last English club to actually win the Welsh Cup (1990). Winners prior to that included Kidderminster, Shrewsbury, and Stourbridge, Chester, and South Liverpool. I dimly recall Northwich playing in the competition at some stage.

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2022, 12:02:08 AM »

Considering I only get to a handful of games a season I’ve been to an alarming number of these!  Eastbourne (long drive back to Bath after that one) Worcester away (at bromsgrove), FGR reversal, getting robbed by Milwall and the second spurs although I’m not sure that was so bad.

I could add any number of national league away games in early 2000’s where we turned up knowing we’d defend for 90 minutes and try (and fail) to snatch something. Places like Crawley and Stevenage. I was also at Salisbury when we threw away a 3-0 lead. Solihull this season was pretty bad, I think that’s the earliest I’ve been 100% certain of the result in a match - when we were 1 down with 10 men. Personally though as an 18 year old living in Wycombe at the time (1991) the trophy semi final defeat after outplaying them completely was hard to take - my response at school on Monday that I wasn’t that bothered if they won the trophy because we were going to win the league did not age well

brisbane_alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2022, 06:58:31 AM »

Stalybridge Celtic and that Danny McGoona miss.

Worst for me was the 1-5 home defeat to Mossley in the FA Trophy in 1980. In my mind we were invisible at the time so to lose by that scoreline... To be fair, Mossley weren't a bad outfit either.

That was the first Alty defeat that I witnessed. Also Alex Stepney's final game.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2022, 09:01:04 AM »

Considering I only get to a handful of games a season I’ve been to an alarming number of these!  Eastbourne (long drive back to Bath after that one) Worcester away (at bromsgrove), FGR reversal, getting robbed by Milwall and the second spurs although I’m not sure that was so bad.

I could add any number of national league away games in early 2000’s where we turned up knowing we’d defend for 90 minutes and try (and fail) to snatch something. Places like Crawley and Stevenage. I was also at Salisbury when we threw away a 3-0 lead. Solihull this season was pretty bad, I think that’s the earliest I’ve been 100% certain of the result in a match - when we were 1 down with 10 men. Personally though as an 18 year old living in Wycombe at the time (1991) the trophy semi final defeat after outplaying them completely was hard to take - my response at school on Monday that I wasn’t that bothered if they won the trophy because we were going to win the league did not age well

Have you seen us win 😂
It's all my fault.

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2022, 10:23:57 AM »

Great awaydays down south are limited. I remember beating St Albans 5-0 but the more I think about it the more horrors come back. Getting relegated at Weymouth, playoff defeat at Brakley, Enfield at Wembley (when I lived in Yorkshire!) Colchester in the cup

I have seen us win on penalties twice, Nuneaton and Blythe. And I was at all the playoff games in the guisely season, saw us beat Barnsley, and Runcorn at Wembley so not all bad!

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2022, 11:03:04 PM »

My memory might be iffy (age...senility) but late 90s or early 00s we lost at home to Mossley in the FA Cup with an abysmally insipid performance - the only time I ever left Moss Lane before the final whistle

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2022, 11:10:04 PM »

My memory might be iffy (age...senility) but late 90s or early 00s we lost at home to Mossley in the FA Cup with an abysmally insipid performance - the only time I ever left Moss Lane before the final whistle

Your memory is very good, although it might be kinder if it had let you forget this. We lost 0-3 at home to Mossley in the 2nd Round Qualifying in 2000. We signed Danny Murphy  from Mossley as  a result  of this, even before they  played in the next round, if  my own memory is right.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2022, 11:11:54 PM »

Your memory is very good, although it might be kinder if it had let you forget this. We lost 0-3 at home to Mossley in the 2nd Round Qualifying in 2000. We signed Danny Murphy  from Mossley as  a result  of this, even before they  played in the next round, if  my own memory is right.

Yes, of course - getting Danny Murphy: not a bad player, but not a very decent left foot - trying to cross from the left with the outside of his left foot v Darlo in the cup!

Howley Robin

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2022, 09:26:46 AM »

Personally the 7-0 at Crawley in the depths of winter. I wasn't in the
best of spirits waiting at Crawley station in the dark. Later in a pub
near Euston I had a very drunk Preston North End supporter very
down about them losing 3-1 at Loftus Road, almost a victory by our
standards that day.

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2022, 11:04:09 AM »

I forgot to mention that shocking ass whooping by fylde 0-6 was the only game i have ever walked out at half time and didnt return till the next season.....
FFS
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What was everyone's worse ever defeat?