PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What was everyone's worse ever defeat?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What was everyone's worse ever defeat?  (Read 6510 times)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: What was everyone's worse ever defeat?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2022, 01:25:06 PM »

Bath in Trophy was a glum affair.
It's all my fault.

Hemel Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2022, 01:34:50 PM »

There were quite a few in the 16/17 season. There was a 0-3 at Worcester (I think it was at Bromsgrove's ground). It was freezing cold - and for the second half I stood behind Jim Harvey who plainly had plainly lost the team. Worcester were awful but still 3 goals better than us and for me it was one of the few times that I have thought 'why am I even bothering with this?

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2022, 02:03:06 PM »

For sheer anti-climax, the 5-0 defeat at Kidderminster in the FA Trophy Quarter Final in 1995 takes some beating.

Did Darren Heesom get sent off that day?

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2022, 03:02:45 PM »

For sheer anti-climax, the 5-0 defeat at Kidderminster in the FA Trophy Quarter Final in 1995 takes some beating.

Did Darren Heesom get sent off that day?
He got sent off on one visit there - pretty sure it was this one. A daft handball IIRC.
To round off a great day, me and JTH had bricks thrown at us as we were heading back to the car.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2022, 03:11:15 PM »

Of course, the actual answer to the question isn’t even a defeat. The worst result in our history, that will send a shudder through all Alty fans old enough, is the 3-3 draw away at Slough in 1991 that shut the door on our promotion dream.

I’ve never been so heartbroken after an Alty result before or since.

I recall the build up to their injury time corner while we were leading 3-2, the late great John Murray turned round to face away from the pitch and shook his head before it was taken - we all knew what was coming.
That was the only one of our six visits there that we didn't win too. Given our teams in the early/mid 90's (90/91 and 94/95 excepted), that's some going.
If you'd like a reminder to cheer up your day, then https://www.sloughtownfc.net/opposition/22/Altrincham is the place to look.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2022, 03:52:09 PM »

Colne dynamoes away - just seemed to crash our whole idea of how good we were 5-0
Bernard Taylors barmy army

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2022, 04:28:00 PM »

Reeves miss away AT FGR leading to a 1-0 defeat.

Losing away to Halifax after Watmore missed an open next on BT Sport in 2015.

5-0 away to Boston, 7-0 to Crawley, 5-0 to Eastbourne.

Relegated final day at home TO Eastbourne

The massacre against Fylde x 2

The abysmal showing against FC United at Xmas at Home.

Do try to cheer up a bit mate! 😊😊🤗
Made me chuckle 🤣🤣🤣

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2022, 04:30:27 PM »

Stalybridge Celtic and that Danny McGoona miss.

That McGoona miss defied the laws of physics. The ball was practically on the goal line so he showed no end of skill to get it over the crossbar.

Worst for me was the 1-5 home defeat to Mossley in the FA Trophy in 1980. In my mind we were invisible at the time so to lose by that scoreline... To be fair, Mossley weren't a bad outfit either.

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2022, 05:46:43 PM »

Surprised no one has mentioned the FA Trophy semi final defeat to Scarborough in the second replay at Doncaster in what? 1977?   Didn't Mickey Moore miss a penalty?  I remember being so upset as I followed on Piccadilly Radio Sports updates from the game that night..... :(

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2022, 06:22:04 PM »

Great thread this . I concur with all of the above and in particular the South Liverpool debacle inspired by Albie Nieman and Eric Shreeve , and yes we were lucky it was only 0-6 !  Others that immidietely spring to mind include honourless ' upsets' by he likes of the mighty Sandbach Ramblers , Pwllheli & District , Winsford Utd amd Cammell Laird in various cups .

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2022, 06:37:46 PM »

Great thread this . I concur with all of the above and in particular the South Liverpool debacle inspired by Albie Nieman and Eric Shreeve , and yes we were lucky it was only 0-6 !  Others that immidietely spring to mind include honourless ' upsets' by he likes of the mighty Sandbach Ramblers , Pwllheli & District , Winsford Utd amd Cammell Laird in various cups .

Yes, that Pwllheli one!
I've often wondered how they came to be in the FA trophy when they never played in an English league? Nantlle Vale, who I think they beat in the previous round, too. Freddie Pye managed NV in the sixties too before he came to us (not directly before) didn't he?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2022, 07:06:23 PM »

Bang on Sanghall . Thinking of Freddie Pye he was brilliant for us at Cheshire League level but just could'nt build a decent NPL side where he used the latter day Neil Young practice of making mega numbers of signings ( mostly older heads ) hoping it would work out . We know how the story ends !

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2022, 09:12:03 PM »

There’s far too many to mention tbh.

All sh*t, all similar, I guess the only thing that raises one above the other is circumstances. In which case a 2-3 defeat at Rushden in 1997 (we were already relegated) on the same last day when Macclesfield won the title (and promotion this time) away at nearby Kettering was the most tedious.

I only survived it because it was so f**king Alty that at one point you just had to laugh shake your head at it.

Of course, the actual answer to the question isn’t even a defeat. The worst result in our history, that will send a shudder through all Alty fans old enough, is the 3-3 draw away at Slough in 1991 that shut the door on our promotion dream.

I’ve never been so heartbroken after an Alty result before or since.
The Fisher Athletic 0-0 as well when that Russian was there.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2022, 09:28:46 PM »

Stalybridge Celtic and that Danny McGoona miss.

That McGoona miss defied the laws of physics. The ball was practically on the goal line so he showed no end of skill to get it over the crossbar.

Worst for me was the 1-5 home defeat to Mossley in the FA Trophy in 1980. In my mind we were invisible at the time so to lose by that scoreline... To be fair, Mossley weren't a bad outfit either.

I always think it's a pity there's no video phone footage of that McGoona miss so I can see if it's as bad as I remember it. I did think he hit the bar rather than putting it over, but even so.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2022, 09:33:21 PM »

0-5 at Rotherham in the FA Cup in 1976.

A totally miserable day.  They only had one record to play before the game, at half time and at the end of the game and it was 'Beautiful Noise' by Neil Diamond and I still have flashbacks if I am unlucky enough to hear it anywhere.

Alty produced window stickers for people who were driving there to put in their rear window

'Rotherham won't bother'em'   

It was a different story when we went there in 1979.

That reminds me, the FA cup defeat at "Gui-ser-ley" was pretty grim too. The only good point was a last chance to see Freeman. There was desperate talk on the way back about where on Earth we go from here, and I think it turned out to be Bernard Taylor's last match.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What was everyone's worse ever defeat?