PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dibble ????
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dibble ????  (Read 4145 times)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Dibble ????
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2022, 10:08:12 PM »

It's on the Wrexham forum.

PS. They've even got a Bangor on Dee Dragon! (although I'm sure he's not as good a guy as our own Bangor on Dee Robin!) 😉

My drinking buddy, hence all the Alty stuff.

Also my grandmother's home village, keeping this all in the family.

As for Dibble, I go with One Foot in the Grave. We could do better, but could also do worse.  He is well acquainted with the National League, at least.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2022, 10:23:00 PM »

I would venture that his Dad, Andy Dibble, was one of the most erratic and unreliable keepers I have seen in an Altrincham shirt. If memory serves after he left us he got some form of acid burns from diving on dodgy pitch markings while playing for a Welsh League club. He actually returned to league football with Wrexham for a while after that I think. He came to us with a solid reputation but I don't think his spell at Moss Lane was the finest of his career.

In the anticlimactic opening to Alty’s 1998/99 Unibond League season, Andy Dibble made 12 somewhat erratic appearances (including that personal nightmare in a 2-1 home defeat against Lancaster City, not to mention that mortifying FA Cup exit at Ashton United) and was only on the winning side on two occasions.

Ah, that Lancaster defeat! That was our worst ever result at the time wasn't it? It certainly felt like it.
And then at Ashton, someone sang "we're going out to a small and friendly club", which we duly did. We were rather good at it at one time. :) (Incidentally our worst ever cup defeat (6-1) was also at Ashton in our only ever Carthium cup match when we had to play Ian "really" Senior in goals).

Strange to think we went on to get promotion after the Lancaster shocker with great wins like at Emley where Graham Heathcote "scored" (there was a suspicion, possibly not unfounded, that the winger - Sam Harris? - would not have put in the cross for one of the goals without having been told to "whip it in" by him!).

« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 10:28:11 PM by Hugh »

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2022, 04:46:46 PM »

Dibble. Isn't he a policeman? SBL

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2022, 04:56:48 PM »

That was his dad's nickname actually. 'Officer' Dibble.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dibble ????