PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Playoffs
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Playoffs  (Read 10821 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Playoffs
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2022, 02:12:39 PM »

That's still further north than Alty isn't it?

PS. Just checked. You're correct!
Certainly further north than Saughall! 😂😂

Chesterfield
Notts County
Wealdstone
Barnet
Boreham Wood
Dagenham & Redbridge

are all further north than Maidenhead by my reckoning.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 02:15:49 PM by Brian Flynn »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2022, 04:08:37 PM »

Chesterfield
Notts County
Wealdstone
Barnet
Boreham Wood
Dagenham & Redbridge

Just shows you what I know! 🙄😂😂
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2022, 08:33:28 PM »

Chesterfield
Notts County
Wealdstone
Barnet
Boreham Wood
Dagenham & Redbridge

Just shows you what I know! 🙄😂😂

The principle of the point you made was very good, it's just not quite as dramatic as you thought.
It is a weird geographical spread of teams in NL.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2022, 08:59:22 PM »

As long as I can get to a fair number and we can win 50% of the matches, I don't really care where they are!
Having said that, the demise of non-league teams in the Midlands and the regular dropping into the league of northern big hitters has certainly accelerated the polarisation of the league.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2022, 09:39:05 PM »

As long as I can get to a fair number and we can win 50% of the matches, I don't really care where they are!
Having said that, the demise of non-league teams in the Midlands and the regular dropping into the league of northern big hitters has certainly accelerated the polarisation of the league.

56% win rate takes us to the POs.

50% win rate and some draws would be a fab season!
It's all my fault.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2022, 09:51:49 PM »

Top half next season would be fabulous and, perhaps, an optimistic outcome with all the changes that are going through.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2022, 12:37:15 AM »

There could be as many as 16 former league teams in the NL next season (even if that does include Gateshead), Add the likes of Boreham Wood and Woking, and the Conference has never been more competitive. Average crowds over 3,000 for the first time too - more than some seasons for the 4th division in the 1980's Probably a good thing we're going full time!

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2022, 09:49:32 AM »

Absolutely , it get's stronger by the year , i really think it's time for 3 up 3 down to be considered.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2022, 11:13:29 AM »

Absolutely , it get's stronger by the year , i really think it's time for 3 up 3 down to be considered.

Many recall the days league clubs being set against any automatic promotion, now so many ex-league clubs are in the NL that wheel has certainly turned.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2022, 08:46:35 AM »

Many recall the days league clubs being set against any automatic promotion, now so many ex-league clubs are in the NL that wheel has certainly turned.

Wasn’t the then Luton chairman (one Eric Morecambe) one of the ones who voted against Alty joining the league.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2022, 09:45:13 AM »

Wasn’t the then Luton chairman (one Eric Morecambe) one of the ones who voted against Alty joining the league.

It might have been the Luton chairman who voted against us but it certainly wasn't Eric Morecambe...

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2022, 12:11:13 PM »

It might have been the Luton chairman who voted against us but it certainly wasn't Eric Morecambe...

Yeah correct, he was a director and became Vice  president 👍

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2022, 12:16:37 PM »

Extract from my When We Were Kings article covering the 1980 re-election travesty:

The votes cast in the eventual Football League re-election poll for the 1979/80 season were as follows: Darlington: 49; Crewe Alexandra: 48; Hereford United: 48; Rochdale: 26 and Altrincham: 25. If the Robins had received just one additional vote and tied with the Spotland club, a second ballot featuring only those two candidates would have ensued, in which the eligible electors were then obliged to cast a single vote for the club of their choice. In the two preceding instances when it had proved necessary to hold a second round of voting, the Non League club had, indeed, prevailed on each occasion and, hence, had secured admission into the Football League (Hereford United defeating Barrow in 1972 and Wigan Athletic overcoming Southport in 1978).   

Alty‘s initial emotions of intense heartache and sheer disbelief at this cruel news that they had failed to displace Rochdale by just two votes were subsequently exacerbated by disillusionment and the impression that they had been cheated, when it emerged that two clubs had actually omitted to vote and the absence of their ballot papers had not been detected until after the AGM had concluded.

The first of the culprits to be identified were Second Division Luton Town, whose delegation of representatives had been late in arriving for the meeting after ostensibly getting held up in London’s traffic. Their Chairman, Denis Mortimer, duly released a statement: “The traffic was bad and we were delayed. To be fair to everyone involved, I am not going to reveal who we would have voted for.”

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2022, 01:19:04 PM »

Extract from my When We Were Kings article covering the 1980 re-election travesty:

The votes cast in the eventual Football League re-election poll for the 1979/80 season were as follows: Darlington: 49; Crewe Alexandra: 48; Hereford United: 48; Rochdale: 26 and Altrincham: 25. If the Robins had received just one additional vote and tied with the Spotland club, a second ballot featuring only those two candidates would have ensued, in which the eligible electors were then obliged to cast a single vote for the club of their choice. In the two preceding instances when it had proved necessary to hold a second round of voting, the Non League club had, indeed, prevailed on each occasion and, hence, had secured admission into the Football League (Hereford United defeating Barrow in 1972 and Wigan Athletic overcoming Southport in 1978).   

Alty‘s initial emotions of intense heartache and sheer disbelief at this cruel news that they had failed to displace Rochdale by just two votes were subsequently exacerbated by disillusionment and the impression that they had been cheated, when it emerged that two clubs had actually omitted to vote and the absence of their ballot papers had not been detected until after the AGM had concluded.

The first of the culprits to be identified were Second Division Luton Town, whose delegation of representatives had been late in arriving for the meeting after ostensibly getting held up in London’s traffic. Their Chairman, Denis Mortimer, duly released a statement: “The traffic was bad and we were delayed. To be fair to everyone involved, I am not going to reveal who we would have voted for.”

I seem to remember Graham Heathcote saying the reason the other club didn't vote was because their chairman got drunk and fell asleep when the vote was being taken. Was it Grimsby?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2022, 01:56:17 PM »

It was.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Playoffs