PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Playoffs
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Playoffs  (Read 11656 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Playoffs
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2022, 03:47:34 PM »

Absolutely , it get's stronger by the year , i really think it's time for 3 up 3 down to be considered.

Many recall the days league clubs being set against any automatic promotion, now so many ex-league clubs are in the NL that wheel has certainly turned.

Wasn’t the then Luton chairman (one Eric Morecambe) one of the ones who voted against Alty joining the league.

Extract from my When We Were Kings article covering the 1980 re-election travesty:

The votes cast in the eventual Football League re-election poll for the 1979/80 season were as follows: Darlington: 49; Crewe Alexandra: 48; Hereford United: 48; Rochdale: 26 and Altrincham: 25. If the Robins had received just one additional vote and tied with the Spotland club, a second ballot featuring only those two candidates would have ensued, in which the eligible electors were then obliged to cast a single vote for the club of their choice. In the two preceding instances when it had proved necessary to hold a second round of voting, the Non League club had, indeed, prevailed on each occasion and, hence, had secured admission into the Football League (Hereford United defeating Barrow in 1972 and Wigan Athletic overcoming Southport in 1978).   

Alty‘s initial emotions of intense heartache and sheer disbelief at this cruel news that they had failed to displace Rochdale by just two votes were subsequently exacerbated by disillusionment and the impression that they had been cheated, when it emerged that two clubs had actually omitted to vote and the absence of their ballot papers had not been detected until after the AGM had concluded.

The first of the culprits to be identified were Second Division Luton Town, whose delegation of representatives had been late in arriving for the meeting after ostensibly getting held up in London’s traffic. Their Chairman, Denis Mortimer, duly released a statement: “The traffic was bad and we were delayed. To be fair to everyone involved, I am not going to reveal who we would have voted for.”

I seem to remember Graham Heathcote saying the reason the other club didn't vote was because their chairman got drunk and fell asleep when the vote was being taken. Was it Grimsby?

Further paragraphs from When We Were Kings:

Grimsby Town were later unmasked as being the second guilty party in this electoral chaos, when it was disclosed that the Chairman of the newly-promoted Third Division Champions, Dick Middleton, had contrived to sit in the main body of the hall in error, rather than proceed to his rightful place at the front amongst the voting members. Consequently, he was not handed his ballot paper.

The Manchester Evening News’ Non League Football correspondent, Doug Peacock, succeeded in buttonholing an unnamed Grimsby Town official as they scurried away from the AGM, who sheepishly divulged their account of the cause of this farcical confusion: “We understood that in previous years, representatives of newly-promoted clubs stayed among the non-voting-members of the Third and Fourth Divisions during the meeting. It was a misunderstanding.”

However, a radically different theory pertaining to the reason for the absence of four of this total of eight uncast votes was subsequently expounded by Graham Heathcote in Andy Mitten’s article on Altrincham FC in the November 2004 issue of Four Four Two magazine, when the Alty midfielder alleged that: “One bloke who promised to support us got pissed and fell asleep."

Just to add insult to injury, the Robins’ officials intimated that both of the clubs involved had previously indicated that they were in favour of electing Alty into the Fourth Division. A crestfallen Noel White remarked: “Two clubs did not vote and they were as near as you can get to being ones we could bank on. But they did not arrive and now we feel a little bit cheated. We are very, very disappointed because we went flat out for the league this time. We only asked to be judged on merit and I don’t think we have been.”
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

nimeta

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2022, 07:18:41 PM »

Absolutely , it get's stronger by the year , i really think it's time for 3 up 3 down to be considered.

Or, a more radical approach, but quite easy to justify...create "Division 3"

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2022, 07:33:03 PM »

I should imagine the current Grimsby Chairman will also be getting pissed on Sunday if they beat Solihull

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2022, 07:52:38 PM »

Or, a more radical approach, but quite easy to justify...create "Division 3"

What about div2 North and South?
That way we'd be tier 4 instead of tier 5!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2022, 05:42:07 PM »

Well done Grimsby. I’d loved to see the back of Solihull but by God The trawlermen deserved it. Well done.

The Solihull manager looks like a pissed off image of Gordon Ramsey

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2022, 05:49:36 PM »

Agreed.
If you win away at Notts County and Wrexham (both after extra time) and then come from behind to win in extra time in the final, you really do deserve to go up.
Well done Grimsby!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2022, 06:05:35 PM »

Agreed.
If you win away at Notts County and Wrexham (both after extra time) and then come from behind to win in extra time in the final, you really do deserve to go up.
Well done Grimsby!

If you finish second over a league season and two go up, you deserve to go up.

I don't agree with playoffs as a concept, I am an increasingly old fart.

(But yeah far rather Grimsby than Solihull!)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2022, 06:40:40 PM »

On the one hand, I agree.
On the other, if we are ever in the future to be promoted from this league, the most likely route would be through the play offs rather than winning the league.
That being the case, I'm totally in favour of play offs. I do think it should be three up though (two top clubs and one via the play offs).

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2022, 07:23:33 PM »

On the one hand, I agree.
On the other, if we are ever in the future to be promoted from this league, the most likely route would be through the play offs rather than winning the league.
That being the case, I'm totally in favour of play offs. I do think it should be three up though (two top clubs and one via the play offs).

I was gobsmacked when the League agreed to two up, two down. I doubt it'll go to three any time soon.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2022, 07:32:52 PM »

Sadly, I agree with you there too! 😉

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2022, 07:55:02 PM »

Delighted for Solihull to be getting beat in ET. Classless throughout that defeat in January
It's all my fault.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2022, 09:56:40 AM »

Delighted for Solihull to be getting beat in ET. Classless throughout that defeat in January
And afterwards too - don't forget the painful comments on the PA about it being our cup final.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2022, 10:31:26 AM »

And afterwards too - don't forget the painful comments on the PA about it being our cup final.

They'll always be a small club, regardless of what division they get to play in - see also Forest Green Rovers.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2022, 10:49:12 AM »

They'll always be a small club, regardless of what division they get to play in - see also Forest Green Rovers.

Correct. Been hugely bankrolled to get where they are today-just a Midlands version of Salford City.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2022, 10:59:31 AM »

I should think that there ground will be swallowed up by Landrover/Jaguar in the not too distant future

Parking is also a problem at there place, sending people to the airport a mile away is not really an option if they attract a big away following.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Playoffs