Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 One to make us 'senior' supporters feel even older...
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: One to make us 'senior' supporters feel even older...  (Read 5782 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: May 21, 2022, 03:59:15 PM »

In the Sunderland squad (on loan from Everton) for this afternoon's League One Play-Off Final at Wembley is one Nathan Broadhead, who happens to be the grandson of the former Alty, Oswestry Town and Bangor City striker Tony Broadhead, whom some of us will have watched play for the Robins during the seasons 1971/72 to 1974/75. He was Alty's leading goalscorer during the 1971/72 NPL season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/60572959

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61478455

https://www.thebangoraye.com/what-next-for-nathan-broadhead-the-bangor-lad-with-magic-feet/

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 04:10:18 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: One to make us 'senior' supporters feel even older...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 04:15:50 PM »

Here's a sad but lovely story about a senior supporter of his club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-61534940

Salute.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 07:46:58 PM »

Here's a sad but lovely story about a senior supporter of his club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-61534940

Salute.

Lovely

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 07:56:59 PM »

In the Sunderland squad (on loan from Everton) for this afternoon's League One Play-Off Final at Wembley is one Nathan Broadhead, who happens to be the grandson of the former Alty, Oswestry Town and Bangor City striker Tony Broadhead, whom some of us will have watched play for the Robins during the seasons 1971/72 to 1974/75. He was Alty's leading goalscorer during the 1971/72 NPL season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/60572959

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61478455

https://www.thebangoraye.com/what-next-for-nathan-broadhead-the-bangor-lad-with-magic-feet/

I have a memory of us playing at the now-demolished Oswestry Town ground in a cup (fa trophy?) and Tony broadhead playing for them.
I remember walking under the back of the wooden stand and thinking what an utter deathtrap it was.
Can someone confirm this to save me digging through my old programmes? 😊😊

PS. Surely I'm not imagining this? 😂😂
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 08:25:29 PM »

When we played Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup, they put two defenders on Tony Broadhead at Moss Lane, having identified him as our biggest threat at Ewood Park in the first meeting. We damn near won that game when Mickey Brooke hit a thunderbolt against their crossbar late on.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 08:43:11 PM »

You're right Sanghall , we won 3-0 at Oswestry in the FA cup 4th Qual rd in 1971 -2 , Tony scored one of our goals onat a really 'strange' type of ground . We lost 1-0 at Rossendale in Round 1 to a penalty that hit the post twice and Willie Maileys leg before going in !  Tony was one of our better forwards back then , unfortunately moving on to Macc and doing well there too !

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 08:47:11 PM »

Thanks for that Swindellsworth!

Good to know I've not lost it yet! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 08:55:52 PM »

Ha ha . I know , i'm right up there with you and any reassurance is always gratefully received 👊

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 10:10:11 PM »

I go back to 74/75 and can't properly remember Tony Broadhead playing for us, but do remember him returning as a Bangor City player a season or two later and getting more abuse than any other opposition player I had seen to that point.

I assume he went with Roy Rees to Bangor, but did he leave with particular bad feeling?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 10:19:02 PM »

I go back to 74/75 and can't properly remember Tony Broadhead playing for us, but do remember him returning as a Bangor City player a season or two later and getting more abuse than any other opposition player I had seen to that point.

I assume he went with Roy Rees to Bangor, but did he leave with particular bad feeling?

Didn't realise you were such a late starter 😂😂
As far as I recall, there was no reason for the bad feelings generally it was usually when there was a m*cc or a v*cs that sparks started to fly.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 10:27:36 PM »

As far as I recall, there was no reason for the bad feelings generally it was usually when there was a m*cc or a v*cs that sparks started to fly.

I was nine for my first match which was not too late if I say so myself. :) A year or two later, though, it was surprising at my then young age and still sticks in the mind to see a player getting abuse and gesturing at the crowd.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 10:54:12 PM »

I was nine for my first match which was not too late if I say so myself. :) A year or two later, though, it was surprising at my then young age and still sticks in the mind to see a player getting abuse and gesturing at the crowd.

What I really meant was that I didn't realise you were such a 'youngster'! 😂😂
I was a married man! 🤯

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 11:17:06 PM »

Hey ho , it's moments like these which really do test your memory cells .  Anyway after a little research it appears that Tony Broadhead actually played for M××× prior to joining us .  After some digging i found that during the FA Trophy quarter final in 1970 -71 a foul on him by Hereford player manager John Charles led to the Welsh legends one and only ever booking in his long and distuinguished playing career .  Only taken 51 years to find that little gem .

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2022, 08:15:08 AM »

Fred Eyre, in his book Kicked into Touch, mentions Tony Broadhead as an Oswestry player. Tony apparently said to him “We get stuck in here”.
That was certainly an apt description of his playing style as I recall it.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2022, 09:06:50 PM »

Yes. I remember when Stuart Terry went to Northwich (scuse my language), and the banter about his clean shirt.

I always think it's a pity there isn't more video footage of those days. Someone really should write a book about Alty in the 70's and 80's whilst there are still plenty of people who remember it - the stuff of legend! I remember "Kingdom Come", written in the aftermath of the Maunders debacle - are there any other books about Alty?
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team