Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 One to make us 'senior' supporters feel even older...
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: One to make us 'senior' supporters feel even older...  (Read 5781 times)

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: One to make us 'senior' supporters feel even older...
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2022, 12:33:27 PM »

I go back to 74/75 and can't properly remember Tony Broadhead playing for us, but do remember him returning as a Bangor City player a season or two later and getting more abuse than any other opposition player I had seen to that point.

I assume he went with Roy Rees to Bangor, but did he leave with particular bad feeling?

Didn't realise you were such a late starter 😂😂
As far as I recall, there was no reason for the bad feelings generally it was usually when there was a m*cc or a v*cs that sparks started to fly.

Yes. I remember when Stuart Terry went to Northwich (scuse my language), and the banter about his clean shirt.

I always think it's a pity there isn't more video footage of those days. Someone really should write a book about Alty in the 70's and 80's whilst there are still plenty of people who remember it - the stuff of legend! I remember "Kingdom Come", written in the aftermath of the Maunders debacle - are there any other books about Alty?

When we were Kings.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2022, 12:56:01 PM »

Note sure if "When we were kings" was ever a book. I recall it being a series of articles written by the Cult and published on the old website, probably 10 or more years ago?
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2022, 01:03:04 PM »

May be getting confused with All the King's Men?
There was also The Unibond Years?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2022, 06:32:21 PM »

All The King's Men was a souvenir brochure issued to commemorate Alty reaching the 1986 FA Trophy Final against Runcorn.

There have been three publications pertaining to the Robins:

(i) Altrincham Football Club 1992/93: The Inside Story Of A Season by Mark Harris

An entertaining chronicle of the first season under the management of Gerry Quinn at Moss Lane.

(ii) Altrincham FC....Kingdom Come by Mark Harris

The story of the 1993/94 & 1994/95 seasons, right up to the abrupt exit of John Maunders and the foundation of the supporters' group SAFE.

(iii) Altrincham FC: The Unibond Years by Grahame & Terry Rowley

An exhaustive account of the 1997/98 & 1998/99 seasons, including many of the respective match reports in The Messenger written by Mike Crockett and Mark Harris.

All are essential reading!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 06:35:50 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2022, 06:45:20 PM »

Modesty prevents Mr Cult including his own superb "When we were kings" series which really should be published and on sale at the club - essential reading about the 1979-80 season when we won the first Alliance Premier League (now National League) title.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2022, 06:49:47 PM »

Note sure if "When we were kings" was ever a book. I recall it being a series of articles written by the Cult and published on the old website, probably 10 or more years ago?

I wrote that series of articles entitled When We Were Kings for the Robins Review during the 2009/10 & 2010/11 seasons in order to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the inaugural Alliance Premier League season in 1979/80, when, of course, Alty just happened to win the league title.

It evolved into becoming a much more extensive project than I had initially envisaged and duly expanded into a total of 50 articles (the last of which was scheduled to comprise a comprehensive statistical analysis of that campaign).

Lots of prose, contemporary press coverage, recollections from supporters etc. (including those of a certain Bill Waterson) but I didn't get around to enhancing the articles with accompanying photographs and images, I'm afraid. That could certainly still be accomplished though. 

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2022, 06:55:05 PM »

Modesty prevents Mr Cult including his own superb "When we were kings" series which really should be published and on sale at the club - essential reading about the 1979-80 season when we won the first Alliance Premier League (now National League) title.

Paul,

You are too kind!

I wrote my above response before I read your generous words.

I'd certainly be happy to revise those articles and complement them with some images and photographs.

We really do need an extensive 'history' section being developed on the official club website whilst some of us can still remember games and names! 

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2022, 07:33:28 PM »

Yes. Indeed. Sorry. It's an age thing.

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2022, 10:10:36 PM »

I came here hoping to find out the werabouts of Chris senior. Very very disappointed
Come on you red and white........

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2022, 10:14:14 PM »

I came here hoping to find out the werabouts of Chris senior. Very very disappointed

He's at the JDS. His signing is being announced tomorrow. 🤫
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2022, 10:21:05 PM »

He’s gone under the radar.

brisbane_alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2022, 08:37:50 AM »

Cult’s “When We Were Kings” series of articles were wonderful reading, chronicling a time when there was no Alty TV, with the heroic deeds of that season recorded only in the memories of supporters and local press articles. 79/80 was my first season at Moss Lane, and I couldn’t have chosen a better one to start my lifelong Alty association.

I have no doubt that publishing those articles in a book with a print run of 1,000 copies would be a success.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2022, 08:45:10 AM »

I'd certainly buy a copy and I'm positive lots of other people would too.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2022, 10:51:40 AM »

I go back to 74/75 and can't properly remember Tony Broadhead playing for us, but do remember him returning as a Bangor City player a season or two later and getting more abuse than any other opposition player I had seen to that point.

I assume he went with Roy Rees to Bangor, but did he leave with particular bad feeling?

As is mentioned elsewhere in the thread Tony arrived from Macc in my first proper season supporting the club (71/2). One of the very few players who Roy Rees retained on his arrival and featured more as a winger. Reknowned for liking a dive in the box which may account for him getting stick on his return for Bangor (which I seem to remember). Best memory of him was my debut as a ballboy - striking a superb top corner extra time 4 Qual replay winner v Lancaster at the Golf Road to secure that home tie with Notts County in 72.   

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2022, 09:18:05 AM »

I remember a 78-79 Northern Premier League game with Bangor at Moss Lane which ended 3-3, John Rogers equalising for us in 90+5 when goals rarely happened in stoppage time.   The Bangor front 2 were Tony Broadhead and John Hughes
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 One to make us 'senior' supporters feel even older...