PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 current rivals
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: current rivals  (Read 5360 times)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: current rivals
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2022, 11:42:45 PM »

Just to add to that, even in 1979-80, when we won the inaugural Alliance Premier League, Mossley won 5-1 at Moss Lane in the Trophy.
Their form suddenly collapsed when, after several years of finishing 1st or 2nd, they were 22nd in 1983-84, and have never been the same since.
Did the supporters' coach get its windows put in at Mossley once?

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2022, 10:48:33 AM »

All of Mossley's success was inspired by their fitness fanatic manager , the late Bob Murphy who i got to know quite well . He gave them the confidence and belief that they could beat anybody and most opponents could'nt cope with their energetic attacking play , he was pretty much the Brian Clough of non league !    I faced Eamonn O'Keefe in a schools cup tie , we turned up with 8 players and as captain i was told to man mark their star player  , we lost 8-1 but Eamonn did'nt score .  He deservedly went on to play for Everton and Ireland and i Sunday league stuff . Such is life .😒

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2022, 05:50:55 PM »

Just to add to that, even in 1979-80, when we won the inaugural Alliance Premier League, Mossley won 5-1 at Moss Lane in the Trophy.
Their form suddenly collapsed when, after several years of finishing 1st or 2nd, they were 22nd in 1983-84, and have never been the same since.
Did the supporters' coach get its windows put in at Mossley once?

I certainly don't recall the natives at Seel Park being overly hospitable when we lost that NPL Cup Semi-Final Second Leg tie there in April 1979.

That Mossley forward line of Ian Smith, Eamonn O'Keefe, Leo Skeete, Dave Moore and Vinny Garmory was outstanding.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 current rivals