PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 current rivals
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: current rivals  (Read 5349 times)

Freddie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: current rivals
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2022, 12:55:24 PM »

I asked this question a while back, and others said Chester.

I don't feel like we have one, and I do sometimes wonder why we sing so many songs about essentially dead clubs. You could argue tradition and it is fun to be fair, but I don't believe Macc 2, Runcorn 2, or various Northwiches can ever really be seen as true foes again.

I can see Oldham becoming the closest thing, they aren't as big as Stockport and don't have any right to be in the FL. Also, we played them before in the Manchester League back in 1904 haha.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2022, 01:36:04 PM »

I grew up with Northwich being our main and absolutely hated rivals (Jeff Forshaw anyone?) - we could never beat them. Runcorn and Mossley were the other main local rivals, Macc were having a bad time of it late 70s to mid 80s so they weren't really a threat though it was a different story before I started watching. A lot of players moved between the teams. Doesn't feel like we have a real local rival now since the NPL season brought us games against Warrington and Witton.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2022, 02:13:07 PM »

I grew up with Northwich being our main and absolutely hated rivals (Jeff Forshaw anyone?) - we could never beat them. Runcorn and Mossley were the other main local rivals, Macc were having a bad time of it late 70s to mid 80s so they weren't really a threat though it was a different story before I started watching. A lot of players moved between the teams. Doesn't feel like we have a real local rival now since the NPL season brought us games against Warrington and Witton.

Cap doffed towards Dave 'slob' Ryan.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2022, 05:20:41 PM »

In my early days it was Wigan Athletic and Northwich Vics, along with Runcorn who were our arch rivals.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2022, 06:08:49 PM »

I remember many moons ago when Wigan were our big rivals, back then they played there games at Springfield Park.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2022, 06:27:20 PM »

Yes the main stand at Springfield Park with the snack bar and bar inside up a flight of stairs then walking out to the seats blew my teenage mind. I was very jealous especially as our main stand hadn't been extended at that point and only had plank seats.
Have always resented Wigan since then! 🙄
To my mind, the only one of our historic rivals who were clearly a bigger (but not better) club than us.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2022, 07:33:24 PM »

And Bangor .

Who's season seems to have been expunged!

Anyone any idea what has happened to them?

The curse of Stephen Vaughan Sr. struck again:

https://www.thebangoraye.com/bangor-city-will-not-play-in-the-welsh-leagues-next-season/
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2022, 08:31:04 PM »

And Bangor .

https://www.thebangoraye.com/bangor-city-will-not-play-in-the-welsh-leagues-next-season/

How is that guy still in football?

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2022, 10:34:24 PM »

Yes the main stand at Springfield Park with the snack bar and bar inside up a flight of stairs then walking out to the seats blew my teenage mind. I was very jealous especially as our main stand hadn't been extended at that point and only had plank seats.
Have always resented Wigan since then! 🙄
To my mind, the only one of our historic rivals who were clearly a bigger (but not better) club than us.

Yes, Wigan used to get some ridiculous crowds in the FA cup for a non-league team. They probably should've been voted in years earlier, but the FL had only been voting in Southern clubs since 1958, with some clubs seemingly unhappy about a national 4th and 3rd division.

A similar situation to the Northeast in non-league (and Cornwall, but fortunately that seems to be being put right now, with two more Northern League teams promoted, and Falmouth doing really well this season, and the likes of Mousehole could squeak into the Southern League in the future.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2022, 11:02:42 PM »

Mousehole....squeak....I see what you did there 😉

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2022, 11:24:03 PM »

And Bangor .

How is that guy still in football?

Thanks Cult!

How can any club even look at Vaughan with his record? Madness!

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2022, 02:43:28 AM »

Mousehole....squeak....I see what you did there 😉

That reminds me, when Keynsham were due to play there midweek recently, they complained that it was further to go there than to go to Manchester. For a step five team! I suppose these geographically peripheral areas will always be problematic. Still, if it was up to me, I would allow leagues like that to reduce to ten or twelve teams to reduce travelling, at least at step 6. I suppose it would muck up the pure pyramid if they did it at step 5. (To be fair, the South Western League does have East and West divisions.

Wasn't so long ago that Carlisle City were having to travel to Oswestry in the North West Counties second division. Things are a little better now (well, apart from the Isle of Man). Still, there's perhaps one or two more things that could be changed at steps five and six.

Ian Harwood (Hale Alty)

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2022, 09:50:15 AM »

I got hooked back in to watching Alty in the 90s because I could easily go to away games at Macc, Runcorn, Stalybridge and Northwich. I think Witton had only just been relegated the season before, but later I would be able to go there and Hyde. So lots of football to watch without a lot a travelling. I've got to admit it's not quite as appealing to me now. Telford and Kidderminster were probably the limit of my travelling in recent years.

Leeds Leeds Alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2022, 10:34:16 PM »

That reminds me, there seems to be an official Alty's rivals league for next season, with one of the Northwiches, new-club Macc, Witton and Runcorn Linnets all in the same league, plus Mossley as an added bonus (I'd love to hear about that 78/79 season - how good were Mossley?).

I understand Chester are desperate to be our rivals, but personally I don't take it much more seriously than I did Stalybridge (though I must admit I always like to beat the 1978 to 1987 FL racket).

Mossley really were that good in 78/79.  We were great, easily the 2nd best team in the NPL, and good enough to take Spurs to a replay, which set us up financially to really challenge for the APL title next season, but Mossley were far and away the best team in the league, and it was both a travesty and a relief that they did not get into the APL due to their ground, or I doubt very much that we would have won the title the following season.

They also had the most hostile bunch of hill dwelling, deliverance characters, including a gang led by a thoroughly evil miniature moustachioed skinhead who caused havoc in the Golf Road when they came to Moss Lane.  They were pretty horrible and they hated us - we were mainly just scared of Mossley, on and off the pitch!!

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2022, 11:04:04 PM »

Mossley were arguably the best non-League side in England immediately before we took their mantle. Apart from the striker Leo Skeete, who ended up here a few years later, they had Eamonn O'Keefe who signed for Everton, and Geoff Sleight who'd been capped twice by Australia and was quite nippy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 current rivals