PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 current rivals
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: current rivals  (Read 5510 times)

Leeds Leeds Alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
current rivals
« on: May 12, 2022, 11:50:10 PM »

Who do people think our natural rivals currently are?

In past years the obvious contenders, depending on what generation you started watching Alty were Wigan, Macc Town, Northwich, Mossley, Runcorn, Scarborough for a while, Macc Town again, Southport intermittently, Chester in recent years, Stockport perhaps, even Wrexham at a stretch.

I am going to put in the case for Halifax.  We have both yo yo'd between NL nd NL North for a few years, have had some big 6 pointers with them, have seen big followings come to Moss Lane and we are taking more and more to theirs every time we play them. I used to think they were bigger than us, but our attendances have been higher than theirs this season, so they seem increasingly to be about our level, just as Macc, Vics, Southport have been in the past.

What do people think? Any other past or current contenders that I may have overlooked?

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: current rivals
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 12:17:48 AM »

Witton , Stafford , Buxton , Stalybridge , Droylsden , Enfield , Barrow were all worthy of consideration perhaps Matlock , Kettering and Boston .

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 12:19:06 AM »

And Bangor .

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 12:27:59 AM »

And Bangor .

Who's season seems to have been expunged!
Anyone any idea what has happened to them?

Sadly we don't really have any real rivals at the mo, Stockport are the closest we have.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 02:14:16 AM »

That reminds me, there seems to be an official Alty's rivals league for next season, with one of the Northwiches, new-club Macc, Witton and Runcorn Linnets all in the same league, plus Mossley as an added bonus (I'd love to hear about that 78/79 season - how good were Mossley?).

I understand Chester are desperate to be our rivals, but personally I don't take it much more seriously than I did Stalybridge (though I must admit I always like to beat the 1978 to 1987 FL racket).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 02:17:09 AM by Hugh »

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 02:15:54 AM »

And Bangor .

My first ever Alty match back in 1990.

I'd love to know why Barrow took us so seriously. That inhaler...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 02:18:12 AM by Hugh »

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 03:32:30 AM »

Key criteria of a rivalry for me is the wins feel sweeter and the defeats hurt more for both sides. I'm struggling to think of a team in this league that is an actual proper rival in that respect, Halifax included.

I think the Chester rivalry has been the strongest over the last few years although I reckon they see us more as a bogey team and are annoyed that we are relatively near, smaller in their eyes yet keep outperforming them.

It's to our credit - and certainly those running the club over time who kept us solvent - that we have stuck around while the old school rivals of Macc, Vics, Runcorn all went to the wall or fell apart. I suspect Macc will be back sooner than the other two and that rivalry will come into play again.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 08:27:24 AM »

For the newest generation, due to the similarity in league positions, the train link involved, the swapping of players etc - it's probably been Chester

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 08:29:51 AM »

It doesn't feel like we have one. It has to be a game with edge, and I can't recall anything along those lines since Macc were put out of their misery.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 08:32:39 AM »

It doesn't feel like we have one. It has to be a game with edge, and I can't recall anything along those lines since Macc were put out of their misery.

When we've played Chester at home recently, they seem to bring a 'youth' element as they can just jump on the train.

I'm sure the playoff game would have been quite tasty (especially with the Johnston element and subsequent red card, the near comeback etc) if it hadn't been behind closed doors.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 08:46:06 AM »

It will always be M*cc are V*cs.
Playing a team where it's a must win and can't lose, for me, means those two whatever league they play in. Chester, due to where we live, has been the nearest to that. It's been great to flaunt Alty colours and even face masks in the village but apart from local one-upmanship it's not a rivalry. They view us as (to quote) a tinpot part time pub team and are all mortified we keep beating them.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 09:50:11 AM »

Oldham next season, plus Halifax.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 09:50:56 AM »

Key criteria of a rivalry for me is the wins feel sweeter and the defeats hurt more for both sides. I'm struggling to think of a team in this league that is an actual proper rival in that respect, Halifax included.

I think the Chester rivalry has been the strongest over the last few years although I reckon they see us more as a bogey team and are annoyed that we are relatively near, smaller in their eyes yet keep outperforming them.

It's to our credit - and certainly those running the club over time who kept us solvent - that we have stuck around while the old school rivals of Macc, Vics, Runcorn all went to the wall or fell apart. I suspect Macc will be back sooner than the other two and that rivalry will come into play again.

Agree with all this. At our current level we do not have a proper rival & as the latest Macclesfield footballing franchise goes higher the promotions will get harder so reckon it could be a good few years before we play any of our traditional rivals in a league game anyway.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 10:12:57 AM »

Anyone managed by Steve Evans.

As stated, no real rivals.

Manchester United are just up the road  ::)
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2022, 10:19:49 AM »

I don't think teams want to be our rivals as they all seem to be stricken when they are.
Eg. Macclesfield, Northwich, Runcorn etc. 😂🤣😂🤣
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 current rivals