PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 TOP OF THE NATIONAL LEAGUE
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: TOP OF THE NATIONAL LEAGUE  (Read 6600 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: TOP OF THE NATIONAL LEAGUE
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2022, 11:48:04 AM »

Although I'd like it to happen, I think wins for both Barrow and Oldham are unlikely.
Having said that, if it does happen, and is accompanied by a defeat for Stevenage, we could have the bottom two decided.
I must say though that I really do fear for Barrow with brown phil in charge. I don't know what they were thinking of when they appointed him.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2022, 12:41:43 PM »

Seeing as how we're aiming for the top half, I thought I'd put this in this thread.

Am I correct in thinking that if Woking lose today by two or more goals then we go up a place in the standings without playing a game?

Yes.
Scunny could be relegated today if my maths is right. Barrow and Oldham wins plus a scunny defeat sinks them.

Don't fancy Barrow (at Crawley) or Oldham (at Port Vale) to get a result. SC**thorpe are 7-1 with Paddy Power to win at home against Mansfield.

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2022, 04:20:02 PM »

Currently S****horpe are getting rinsed 4 0 ! SBL

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2022, 04:23:45 PM »

Barrow and Latics both behind and Stevenage two up at Colchester.
Squeaky bum time for those three.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2022, 05:03:43 PM »

Barrow and Latics both behind and Stevenage two up at Colchester.
Squeaky bum time for those three.

Stevenage got lucky last year, this year they'll escape on the pitch. Oldham to come down.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2022, 06:16:49 PM »

Two goals away at port vale shows that they're still up for the fight at Oldham whereas I can't see where barrow's next win is coming from. I hope I'm wrong.
Stevenage have been skating on thin ice for a while now and know how to get what's needed to survive but I hope they've run out of luck this time.
If not them then Latics to replace stocky as our Christmas moneyspinner.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2022, 09:06:48 AM »

Does anyone really want Stevenage? Dreadful awayday.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2022, 12:26:15 PM »

Does anyone really want Stevenage? Dreadful awayday.

Good point. I don't.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2022, 12:46:36 PM »

I think that's the dilemma.
After being out of the league for so long it would be sad to see Barrow drop back.
Oldham would be great for us financially but their fans deserve better imho so that only leaves Stevenage.

Having said all that though as I've said above, I really do fear it could be freefalling Barrow with Brown Phil at the helm of relegations in successive seasons.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 12:49:41 PM by Saughall Robin »

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2022, 06:04:33 PM »

I don't want Barrow to come down. I wouldn't go to Stevenage so Latics for me

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2022, 06:33:19 PM »

I don't want Barrow to come down. I wouldn't go to Stevenage so Latics for me

Impeccable logic succinctly put, CC! 😉

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2022, 11:32:21 PM »

Lots of ex League clubs below us too. York, Kidderminster, Southport, Gateshead, Boston, Hereford, Bradford PA, Chester, Darlington, Bury, and errrmmm Macclesfield.

Don't forget Gainsborough Trinity and Glossop! 😉

Or South Shields, Gateshead, Washington, Aberdare Athletic.....

South Shields, I think, actually finished above Manchester United one season. I reckon there's massive potential for that club (South Shields that is, though I dare say there is for Manchester United too!).

By my reckoning there are 14 teams from the 1978-1987 racket who are currently not in the football league. I must say that the introduction of automatic promotion has bee n a huge success for all clubs involved. Every single club relegated from the league (rather than being voted out) currently playing in the non-league (with the exception of AFC Rushden and Diamonds, who are hardly a typical example) is getting average crowds over 1,000. This was hardly ever the case in the election days. Overall crowds have been boosted in both football league and non-league. Almost every season, the average crowds for the new clubs (i.e. not in the FL 1978-1987) has been around 3,000 or more, which compares favourably with the smaller football league clubs in the 1970's and 1980's. In the non-league, we have average crowds in the National League ov over 3,000, higher  than in the 4th division at the end of the election era; average crowds over 1,000 at step two; over 600 in the NPL Premier (higher than when we won that league in 1999); and over 400 in the NPL West, approximately equivalent to the NW Counties league of the 1980's.

As for the old days, it always astonished me that New Brighton had two separate clubs in the football league, and now have to make do with a West Cheshire league team!

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2022, 10:40:34 AM »

Always interesting to hear about comparisons to different eras so a very good read that . Of course with so many 'big' teams in the National league average gates will rise substantially .  It's the same with playing levels  .   A Stockport supporter friend of mine told me that the standard of footy in National North was much higher than the old Fourth Division in the 1970/ 80s too.    It seems non league is thriving .

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2022, 01:35:47 PM »

Always interesting to hear about comparisons to different eras so a very good read that . Of course with so many 'big' teams in the National league average gates will rise substantially .  It's the same with playing levels  .   A Stockport supporter friend of mine told me that the standard of footy in National North was much higher than the old Fourth Division in the 1970/ 80s too.    It seems non league is thriving .

This bears out my thought, expressed more than once before on here, that the influx of overseas players into English football has shoved our own players further down the pyramid. Players who would have been regulars in the old Second Division are to be found plying their trade in the fourth tier.

I remember watching Stockport County in 3 North and 4 on numerous occasions in the late 1950's. Most of their squad in those days would probably be playing in National North these days.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2022, 11:29:35 PM »

I;d agree with the sentiments of one foot in the grave but also remember in the eightes when football league teams were struggling to get to a thousand.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 TOP OF THE NATIONAL LEAGUE