PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 competitions we miss out on
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: competitions we miss out on  (Read 5709 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: competitions we miss out on
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 09:41:57 AM »

The official site says the Cheshire Premier Cup (or Cheshire Bowl) is open to the counties "professional" clubs.  What does that mean? We pay our players, don't we (although less than any other conference club etc.) - and doesn't that therefore make us professional?

If professional means full time, then shouldn't Northwich Vics be in it?

Or do they just mean football league - and if so, shouldn't they say it?

Alty365

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 11:41:21 AM »

I think it's fair to say they mean the league clubs. As previously stated, I'm glad they're getting their own competition because playing against the reserve teams of league outfits has killed a lot of interest in a competition which already draws small crowds. To make things worse you have clubs like Chester whho are too "big time" to stage home fixtures in the competition and consequently switch them to bigger grounds. What is the point of entering a competition if you're not prepared to stage the fixtures?

I like the bizarre away ties it sometimes throws up eg. Cheadle, Woodley Sports but I did not get the same level of interest from our game at Gresty Road a couple of years back with us all sat in that big stand freezing to death.

markecky

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 11:59:51 AM »

I love stupid away games in the Cheshire Cup.  It almost becomes a contest to see who can go to the oddest one.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 01:24:33 PM »

Oh boy - the 4-0 loss at Crewe.  As an exile I can only get to midweek games with any certainty - and driving from Bristol (where I had been working) to Crewe for a  match which no-one seemed to give a toss about was sould destroying

Whereas a nice Saturday trip to Middlewich (by Crosville as mentioned above) for a 2 oclock kick off was great fun

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 03:36:50 PM »

I love stupid away games in the Cheshire Cup.  It almost becomes a contest to see who can go to the oddest one.

Remember going to Sandbach once to see us play the mighty Ramblers!

What a great day out. No seating, covering along a third of the main side if I remember rightly?

Can't find the programme and if one had been sold I would have had one - but I'm sure we won by at least a couple of goals?

I don't recall if that was in the FACup or the CSC.

Great Harwood was another one. Does anyone else recall the (possibly apocryphal) story circulating at the time? The saturday game was postponed until tuesday but as they had no lights at the time it was played in the afternoon. Someone got a day off work sick, went to the game and his photo was spotted in the Daily Telegraph by his boss - he was stood behind the net celebrating as the winner went in!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 04:44:08 PM »

I remember specifically a midweek trip to Great Harwood in the run up to the Leatherhead trophy final.  In those days you could name the Alty team in advance: Eales, Allen, Brooke, Bailey, Owens, King, Heathcote, Morris, Johnson, Rogers, Davison.  And our squad only contained a couple of other players: Crossley, Flaherty, Heys, Bannister.

And there were two players I had never seen before - and they were both in the starting line up.  I had to listen to the PA to determine that we had a new centre half: Graham Tobin and a new skinhead - Larry Garrity.  In my opinion Larry Garrity was a contender for man of the match at Canal Street in the Trophy semi final. 

thegazelle

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 01:45:16 AM »

i thin k the story on the picure in the paper was a home game when the pink used to give a fiver? to the face with a ring round it.
and it wasnt a perfect story as the guy who got sacked was only a mate of the guy who got ringed on the back page of the pink.

i am such a sad alty fano ntehat one of the best moments of my life was walking into a bar in ghana and finding a two week old copy of the pink left on a table,

brought back such good memories of queueing in the newsagents near the moss waiting for the paper to arrive whilst hearing how sh*t we  were from big bill and brian sweeney

oh how tinternet etc have ruined saturday night in blackpool we used to have to wait for the green now thats along long time ago

Stockportalty

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 08:59:01 AM »

All this talk of the League clubs being in the CSC or not just adds to my thoughts about the FA Trophy, my understanding is that the FA Trophy is for Semi-Professional Teams so why are the full-time teams in the Conference allowed to take part? ???
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 competitions we miss out on