News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Beryl Fox RIP (former club employee)

Author Topic: Beryl Fox RIP (former club employee)  (Read 2639 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: March 06, 2022, 03:53:45 PM »

During my weekly cheerful ritual of reading the death notices in The Messenger in order to check whether I receive a mention, I espied the name of one Beryl Fox of Hale who had died at the age of 92.

I recalled a lady by that name working alongside the late Derek Kennerley in the old Altrincham FC Pools Office, which was located under the main stand.

You used to be able to gain access to it via an entrance on Moss Lane and during the 1970s and 1980s I recollect booking on the coach for various away games there by pressing a bell which duly summoned either of those long-standing employees from behind a sliding window.

I have since been advised that the club's erstwhile secretary Dave Baldwin has confirmed that this is, indeed, the Beryl Fox who worked at the club (apparently, she took the club cat with her when she left her job!).

A blast from the past there. Anyone else remember her?

https://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/announcements/deaths/deaths/19964997.BERYL_FOX/

Condolences to her family and friends.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 03:59:42 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

KENNERLEY

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
Re: Beryl Fox RIP (former club employee)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 04:05:04 PM »

Yes Beryl and Roy were friends of my mum and dad, and Beryl worked in my dad's office for many years.
92 years was a good age - R.I.P.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 04:15:03 PM »

I well remember buying coach tickets from the Pools Office often staffed by the lady mentioned here.

More sad news.

(Why were they 'pools' offices?)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 05:17:09 PM »

I well remember buying coach tickets from the Pools Office often staffed by the lady mentioned here.

More sad news.

(Why were they 'pools' offices?)

We ran a weekly pool in aid of club funds (I was an agent in the 1970's), based on a scheme run by Gainsborough Trinity. I forget exactly how it worked, but I had nearly 50 members at peak.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 06:04:42 PM »

Yes. I ran a book too. You collected the money from the punters weekly and paid it in at the pools office before the home games.
We were given sheets with the winners on to distribute and envelopes with cash in if any winners were in your book.
I always remember my gran winning a tenner and her keeping the winners sheet with 'Grandma' on as a souvenir. 😊
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 08:28:15 AM »

i do not remember Beryl at all,but r.i.p beryl. I do remember the pools office,my uncle bert used to work there,(he was the projectionist at Hale pictures).We used to do the Pools every week,i think it was based on a pontoon system.United had something similar,theirs was called the united devolpment fund though.
Harold

KENNERLEY

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 08:59:45 AM »

From what I remember, my dad held to draw in a different pub each Saturday night and on Monday we at Cheshire Printers used to print the results sheet, dad’s motto was ‘If you’re not in - you won’t win’.   A lot of money was raised for the club.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 09:25:33 AM »

was the leaflet pink?
Harold

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 09:32:55 AM »

"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 07:17:03 PM »

Running a book meant that you received a free pass to all league games (dark blue if I remember correctly) and my Dad was cheeky enough to ask for an extra pass for 12 year old me because he ran enough names to fill two books.  The jackpot was £100 which was big money for the time and I remember one of our neighbours won it once.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 12:38:07 AM »

From what I remember, my dad held to draw in a different pub each Saturday night and on Monday we at Cheshire Printers used to print the results sheet, dad’s motto was ‘If you’re not in - you won’t win’.   A lot of money was raised for the club.

I can absolutely hear your dad saying that! Not literally as in, I was around at the time, but I can distinctly hear his tones and phrase even now 👍
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team