PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 A bit of a National League North thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: A bit of a National League North thread  (Read 9301 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of a National League North thread
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2022, 11:21:24 AM »

Yes. It's a shame for Workington though. If they'd have won away at the bottom of the league in their last match instead of getting a draw they'd have won the league on Saturday. The home defeat by Marine in the semi finals last night was no doubt in part due to a hangover from that.
Also, personally, would like to see Warrington beat the odds against Scarborough. They've been knocking on the door since we were down there.

That's an absolute shocker for Workington - just noticed Marine got a last minute equaliser to take the game into extra time too.

Not sure about Warrington / Scarborough - I feel like both would have their merits in coming up, Warrington blew a home final against Kings Lynn too didn't they.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2022, 11:38:08 AM »

Yes that was the so called 'super play off' wasn't it? Either way they've been a bit unlucky over the years (and promotion gives Sean Williams another medal 🥉!) 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2022, 12:20:34 PM »

Buxton promoted to the NLN as NPL champions.
This was the same manager that was doing so well with Curzon at the start of the season, had them playing well vs us preseason
Bernard Taylors barmy army

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2022, 06:44:18 PM »

This was the same manager that was doing so well with Curzon at the start of the season, had them playing well vs us preseason

Yep he's definitely chosen a shrewd gig there, they've got some money behind them - will be interesting to see how they get on in the NLN next season.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2022, 08:53:12 PM »

Yep he's definitely chosen a shrewd gig there, they've got some money behind them - will be interesting to see how they get on in the NLN next season.

Would be fantastic to see them in the national! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Freddie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2022, 10:38:24 PM »

I'd like to see the Scarborough phoenix club go up, as one of the first Alty games I ever went to was against their previous incarnation. It was a draw, but something about the allure of Moss Lane hooked me in from then on.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2022, 10:48:33 PM »

First time I saw Scarborough we beat em 6-0 in the FA Cup. Jackie scored five and pat connelly scored the other.
If my memory serves me correctly, Jackie scored four goals in the last six minutes including two in the last minute.
I was a very mature fifteen years old! 🤯

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2022, 08:43:49 PM »

He's just quit

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2022, 09:02:14 PM »

That's a bit of a surprise. Be interesting to see if he moves on quickly to a lucrative job.

Incidently, Chester manager (Steve Watson ex York) is leaving at the end of the season. Wonder if there's a connection there?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 09:05:15 PM by Saughall Robin »

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2022, 09:04:22 PM »

He's just quit

Bloody hell! I did think it was quite a long way for him to go. I wonder where he'll end up next. I'm sure Buxton will be able to attract a decent calibre of manager.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2022, 09:12:40 PM »

He's just quit

Bloody hell! I did think it was quite a long way for him to go. I wonder where he'll end up next. I'm sure Buxton will be able to attract a decent calibre of manager.

Steve Cunningham did say the travelling to Buxton was too far, and, as he managed Colne before Curzon, I am guessing he is from the East Lancashire area.  I think he would be a very good fit for a relegated Guiseley, where Steve Kittrick is currently just caretaker manager at the end of the season.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 09:14:53 PM by Sale Holmfield »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2022, 09:34:49 PM »

He's from Rawtenstall. 55 minutes, motorway all the way to Chester. 😉

Freddie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2022, 09:35:59 PM »

He left Curzon because they caught him talking to another club so he will definitely have something lined up.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2022, 07:30:36 AM »

He left Curzon because they caught him talking to another club so he will definitely have something lined up.

He's always struck me as a bit of a Poundland Steve Evans to be honest.

You can tell by the language he uses - 'my growing CV' - he's clearly just in it for himself.

Wouldn't want him anywhere near a club like ours at any stage.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2022, 12:53:08 PM »

The Chester forum seems to think Watson left because there's no money there and Buxton are apparently heavily backed.
They seem to think there's a chance of him going to Buxton and cunningham coming to Chester.
Seems a long shot but wouldn't be surprised.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 A bit of a National League North thread