PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Woking Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Woking Match Thread  (Read 13901 times)

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: Woking Match Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2022, 12:41:14 AM »

Never thought that I would say it but thank god for Macclesfield!!!!!  SBL

Why? Have I missed something?

Due to macc going bust there’s only 3 relegation spots

Leeds Leeds Alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2022, 01:02:57 AM »

Never thought that I would say it but thank god for Macclesfield!!!!!  SBL

Why? Have I missed something?

Due to macc going bust there’s only 3 relegation spots

Ah yes of course! I would rephrase it as thank God Macc Town went bust! I wouldn't wish it on any club but Macc Town and their scumbag fans are a worthy exception

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2022, 08:29:57 AM »

Didn't go yesterday, but happy to take the positives.

Being 0-2 down and drawing 2-2 is certainly a better outcome for morale than being 2-0 up and drawing 2-2.

The Kings Lynn Weymouth game went the way we wanted it to, and we'll probably have enough to stay up.

Hopefully 2 weak southern teams will come up - because based on Kiddy's showing yesterday and the fact we've been dumped out of the cup by Fylde and Gateshead, 2 strong northern teams will be joining us.

I yearn for the days when we barely used any players because we knew our best XI and they stayed fit. Hardly many fan's favourites on the pitch at the moment.

How did the pitch hold up?

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2022, 09:31:13 AM »

To LeedsLeeds Alty . Correction accepted SBL

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2022, 10:36:44 AM »

Didn't go yesterday, but happy to take the positives.

Being 0-2 down and drawing 2-2 is certainly a better outcome for morale than being 2-0 up and drawing 2-2.

The Kings Lynn Weymouth game went the way we wanted it to, and we'll probably have enough to stay up.

Hopefully 2 weak southern teams will come up - because based on Kiddy's showing yesterday and the fact we've been dumped out of the cup by Fylde and Gateshead, 2 strong northern teams will be joining us.

I yearn for the days when we barely used any players because we knew our best XI and they stayed fit. Hardly many fan's favourites on the pitch at the moment.

How did the pitch hold up?

The pitch was generally good, given the weather, muddy in the goalmouths that was about it. See that Halifax, Rochdale and Salford were all waterlogged off, so credit to the new drainage for allowing the game to go ahead. Very likely we'd have to postpone that a year ago.

As for the game - just a yawning gap in our midfield right from the kick off and they went straight through to score. Their keeper made a pretty good penalty save, then we stood off their lad who produced a decent shot to be fair for the second. Tony T kept us in it with some superb saves when he was badly exposed again.

Credit to the lads though for fighting back from 2-0. Coco's second was a great individual effort. Conn Clarke had a decent debut.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 10:38:27 AM by jhcorbett »

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2022, 10:51:14 AM »

Did Conn-Clarke start at No10? I thought he was more of a winger...

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2022, 11:06:43 AM »

Did Conn-Clarke start at No10? I thought he was more of a winger...
Yes, but he moved to the right when Dan Mooney went off.
Decent debut for him too.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2022, 06:12:12 PM »

Something of a game of two halves yesterday.  Having conceded in the first 30 seconds and then taken another hit by allowing their striker to get into space and shoot, the conversations I had at half-time were mostly about damage limitation.  However, I thought that we showed some fight in the second half and there were periods when we actually looked dangerous and (dare I say it?) confident with the ball.  Yes, TT kept us in it with some spectacular saves (that deservedly got him his MotM award) but we matched Woking in the second half and I would argue deserved a share of the points.  Thought the noisy response from the fans was terrific and showed that there is a desire both on and off the pitch to get through this and secure safety.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2022, 07:06:21 PM »

Forgive me if this is rather stretching things by means of an extreme analogy but after yesterday's game it felt like we'd almost mirrored the recent traumatic experience of that Bowdon Preparatory School for Girls headteacher who was driving her car along Dunham Road last week when a large tree fell and almost crushed her vehicle, temporarily trapping her inside.

The shock of a truly calamitous first half, particularly that inexcusable opening goal, followed by a second-half escape via salvaging a draw from the wreckage. Thankfully, that victim of the accident is now on the way to recovery and you can only hope that yesterday afternoon's Alty comeback comprises a similarly pivotal positive outcome in the context of our season.

Hats off to Tony Thompson for the key saves that gave us a platform even to rescue a point. Woking must be kicking themselves for not putting the game to bed in the second half, though. 

It's quite extraordinary that even after a run of 18 league games (since our last home win back on 9th October) in which we have recorded merely a single victory and accumulated only nine points out of a possible 54, we still remain 10 points above the relegation zone!

In his latest post-match interview (what is that backdrop, incidentally?!), I was pleased to hear Phil Parkinson acknowledge both the backing and forbearance that the home supporters exhibited yesterday.

Does Ryan Colclough ever score a humdrum goal..?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 07:08:24 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2022, 07:49:08 PM »

At half time yesterday I'd decided to miss the rest of the season. By full time I'd changed my mind.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2022, 09:35:16 PM »

At half time yesterday I'd decided to miss the rest of the season. By full time I'd changed my mind.

Funny you should say that....

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2022, 10:50:35 PM »

For 89 mins 43 secs we were the better team!

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2022, 10:24:05 AM »

Having just watched the highlights, I have to say we were very lucky to get that point. Colclough's dive for the free kick that led to our first was pretty blatant. I thought the referee's assistant on the Popular Side was garbage all afternoon, but his missing that one did us a massive favour.

I do, however, think that the keeper's foul on Hulme should have been a penalty - but we'd probably have missed it anyway.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2022, 10:52:36 AM »

I don't think he dived for the free kick. More like dived because he thought he was going to get clattered and he probably would have done if he hadn't jumped. I agree that contact was minimal in the end.

andrewflynn

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2022, 11:14:22 AM »

We should have lost that and would have done without Tony Thompson, but it could turn out to be a valuable result if we build on it this weekend. Massive psychological boost to come back and get something from that game, regardless.

Positives are I thought Conn-Clarke showed a lot of potential, Colclough looked a little more like himself, Thompson was fantastic and the fans stuck behind them - but some of these goals that we are conceding straight through the middle are horrific. All told, I don't think much changed in that game that we haven't seen in recent weeks. Awful start, struggled to deal with the press, found ourselves with a mountain to climb and looked better when the opposition started backing off. Difference is this time we managed to rescue it and had a few things go our way, for a change (soft foul for the free-kick, keeper should really be saving the second.)

Hopefully it does a little bit for our confidence and we can take another step forward again at King's Lynn. That was a baby step on Saturday though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Woking Match Thread