PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Duncan.
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Duncan.  (Read 6653 times)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan.
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2022, 06:01:53 PM »

As the ball bounced off his thigh onto his hand (which was in an understandable position) it could not,  in the circumstances and applying the current interpretation, be given as handball
You are correct in your assertion had the ball gone into the net directly from Duncan.
Arguably not a perfect scenario but too many goals were being disallowed before often on a technicality after accidental/incidental handballs

Ian Harwood (Hale Alty)

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2022, 10:14:33 AM »

the rule does need to be rewritten to make a distinction between gaining control from an accidental handball and the ball accidentally hitting the hand or arm on the way somewhere else.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2022, 11:15:20 AM »

No Ian

We need to return to a previous interpretation where handball was "in the opinion of the referee" rather than the proscribed interpretations of recent times

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2022, 11:50:36 AM »

No Ian

We need to return to a previous interpretation where handball was "in the opinion of the referee" rather than the proscribed interpretations of recent times

While I agree with you in principle, a lot of what went on in our game yesterday only demonstrates how perverse a referee's opinion can sometimes be. And as for his assistant on the popular side, words fail me !

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2022, 12:11:47 PM »

Hats off to all refs without whom there'd be no game.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2022, 10:46:28 PM »

Hats off to all refs without whom there'd be no game.

Well said. I couldn't do it!

I watched the Stretford Paddock review of the game which finished with the words "What more can you do!"

With the kind information from Phil Taylor I tried to explain the ruling to them, but they weren't having it!

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 11:50:09 AM »

No Ian

This is very dangerous ground. There is going to be consistent inconsistency as one refs handball is another refs play on. It’s why any game embraces legislation in the form of rules in the quest for consistency. There is of course the refs interpretation of those rules which will always be open to debate and heated discussions on the official’s parentage.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2022, 02:58:18 PM »

I accept your point but that is really how handball interpretation was handled for many years.

The clear advantage resulting from the incident in question would, to most Referees have resulted in the goal being disallowed with a free kick going to Man United.
Not an ideal circumstance but percentage wise returning to the system I previously detailed would, IMO, produce more satisfactory outcomes
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Duncan.