PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Parkinson
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Parkinson  (Read 15241 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Parkinson
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2022, 07:22:05 PM »

I agree with practically all of your post Andrew. However, while changing the management would unarguably weaken our progress, getting relegated would be far worse.

Losing to Woking on Saturday is a chilling prospect. If we come back empty-handed from Norfolk the following week I believe we will be In serious danger of the trapdoor opening.

However, if we were to part company with our management team, who is there out there that is an improvement, and is available ?

We are truly between a rock and a hard place.

I'm struggling to think of anyone  with National League level experience who would be available

Rowe at Chesterfield could be available soon......not that I would want him.....and not that I think we are at the point yet to replace PP

I'll despair if we ever got someone like Rowe... the guy's clearly a wrong'un (look at why he was sacked by West Ham).

There is one very obvious (and realistic) candidate for me, and that would be Andy Morrison. He's also best mates with Andy Preece, who has all the top coaching badges and apparently the brains of the operation over at Chorley who are going well again this season. I think they've worked together in the past, that could be a good duo.

Whilst I absolutely trust Parky to get us out of this, I must admit I feel a bit relieved that clearly life will go on after him, he's not invincible and hopefully he himself, ironically, has put us on a platform to appoint a better calibre of manager next time out anyway (whenever that might be).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 07:24:19 PM by MarpleAlty »

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2022, 07:28:50 PM »

Andrew F's post sums up much of how I see things.  A core strength of any team is based on the bond that exists between the players; this season, like others when we have done poorly, there has been far too much chop and change.  Obviously player injury has played a part in this, but I do think there have been too many games when team selection, combined with on-field strategy, has resulted in confusion on the pitch.  I can't help thinking also, that the off-field shenanigans that were designed to grow crowd attendance, but resulted in TBC limiting capacity and forcing us to employ more stringent security, may have proved to be a distraction we could have well done without.

That aside, we should be mindful that of our last 13 league fixtures, 8 have been played against teams that are currently top 10 in the NL, including 4 against teams in the top 5.  Given the history and financial backing many of the teams in this league enjoy, perhaps a dose of realism is what is required.  And for those calling for a change of management, you need to find a better prospect than what we have already.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2022, 07:49:46 PM »

Andrew F's post sums up much of how I see things.  A core strength of any team is based on the bond that exists between the players; this season, like others when we have done poorly, there has been far too much chop and change.  Obviously player injury has played a part in this, but I do think there have been too many games when team selection, combined with on-field strategy, has resulted in confusion on the pitch.  I can't help thinking also, that the off-field shenanigans that were designed to grow crowd attendance, but resulted in TBC limiting capacity and forcing us to employ more stringent security, may have proved to be a distraction we could have well done without.

That aside, we should be mindful that of our last 13 league fixtures, 8 have been played against teams that are currently top 10 in the NL, including 4 against teams in the top 5.  Given the history and financial backing many of the teams in this league enjoy, perhaps a dose of realism is what is required.  And for those calling for a change of management, you need to find a better prospect than what we have already.

No, the board need to find rhem.not people calling for the club to reassess things.

Remember when people wouldn't change Rowley incase the world ended.

The debate really is, do we risk the form not improving and staying up by default, for a shot at long term footballing progression, or do we change and bring in a motivated, hungry manager to get us over the line, and then find someone in the summer for the next 5 years
It's all my fault.

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2022, 07:55:18 PM »

The short termism of some posters on here is nuts. It’s not about which manager might get us a few more points in the next ten games. It’s about a manager who buys into what the club is doing and where it’s going. The club is on an upward trajectory and a run of 20 poor results with a few shockingly bad performances doesn’t change that. There have been a whole heap of extenuating  circumstances. What we learn now is how good is Parky at turning round a disheartened dressing room?  So far not great  it he did it when he first arrived, albeit by clearing the decks and starting again so may not be so easy this summer depending on who is on long term deals.

For my money keep Parky is still in the no brainer category. You don’t make 5 year decisions of the back of two months experience and ignore the other three years!

In the short term just tell them to put there foot through it when it’s in our area. All 4 first half goals yesterday followed us having possession in our own box and making poor decisions on what to do with it. Don’t piss about back there clear the thing properly.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2022, 08:00:44 PM »

In Parky I do still trust.

Bear Town Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2022, 08:41:46 PM »

Indeed, some seem to enjoy sticking the knife in on here.

ParkysRedAndWhiteArmy

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2022, 09:14:41 PM »

The short termism of some posters on here is nuts. It’s not about which manager might get us a few more points in the next ten games. It’s about a manager who buys into what the club is doing and where it’s going. The club is on an upward trajectory and a run of 20 poor results with a few shockingly bad performances doesn’t change that. There have been a whole heap of extenuating  circumstances. What we learn now is how good is Parky at turning round a disheartened dressing room?  So far not great  it he did it when he first arrived, albeit by clearing the decks and starting again so may not be so easy this summer depending on who is on long term deals.

For my money keep Parky is still in the no brainer category. You don’t make 5 year decisions of the back of two months experience and ignore the other three years!

In the short term just tell them to put there foot through it when it’s in our area. All 4 first half goals yesterday followed us having possession in our own box and making poor decisions on what to do with it. Don’t piss about back there clear the thing properly.

I think it's about balancing the short and long term. This club can't get relegated, it sets the 5 year plan back 4 years.

The 2 year contracts are proving to be a farce, as is the 3 year contract for Phil, be a lot more motivation for players and managers if they were on the dole come July.

For those calling it short short, we won 4 in 22 at the 2nd half of the last season. We've won 1 in 21 this season.

He'd be gone at every other club in the country.

It's all my fault.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2022, 09:21:50 PM »

Its fair to say this situation has elicited a wide range of opinions, which I respect, but this post sums up my own feelings perfectly.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 09:26:08 PM by PaulClementsLaments »

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2022, 09:53:45 PM »

Its fair to say this situation has elicited a wide range of opinions, which I respect, but this post sums up my own feelings perfectly.
it feels like groundhog day being an Alty fan . Shades of GH and LS it's been noted on some other posts to truly take the next step we need to compete financially on a full time basis . I wonder if we will falter again . Up the reds
ParkINson's red and white army

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2022, 10:25:25 PM »

It’s very different to GH and LS. In both cases we were their last job at this level and that surprised very few people.  Parky and Sorvs will be very popular and if we were daft enough to get rid would get another top NLN or even NL gig in the summer if not before.  There is no one out there good enough to come in, get to know the players and the players gain faith in them fast enough to make any material difference to our points haul this season.

Fortunately Weymouth and king’s lynn are in more trouble than we are and we will be ok this year mainly due to their failings. I don’t think we’ll do much better than 20th if at all. But that will do as long as Parky learns from it. He’s new to this level and we need to give him time to grow into it. He’s earned that

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2022, 10:37:37 PM »

Something inside of me says there is room for another kind of contract. Two years is OK as long as the appetite is still there. Not sure how to achieve this.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2022, 10:42:56 PM »

I would say we "should" be okay rather than we "will" be okay due to Weymouth and King's Lynn's failings.  We could obviously do with a win, but, as has been said, it's all too plausible that we could draw with with the relegation rivals and still stay up.

Also, t wasn't too long ago that the worry was of Phil Parkinson being poached by a bigger or richer club. I think, in fact I am sure, he's got enough footballing credit in the bank to remain in charge - I always thought motivation was one of his greatest skills, but he really needs to apply this now to a team and supporters low n confidence.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2022, 11:44:37 PM »

And there's also the issue that if weymouth and kings lynn get relegated this year its us next year.

I still believe the beat part time players should be able to out perform the fulltime dropouts.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2022, 08:13:00 AM »

Next year, it will be exactly the same - half a league of haves and half a league of have-nots squabbling around for survival.

Decent part-time players can compete with full-time drop outs for part of a season, but not all (as we are testimony to). Full-time football is a must. Whether we can afford is, is debatable.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2022, 08:26:15 AM »

If we aspire to be in this league (or higher) long term, then full time is required. End of.
If we can't afford it with average gates over two thousand we never will.

Oh and by the way, let's keep backing the management team because we're never going to get a better one. Some very short memories on here.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Parkinson