PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Hereford players
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hereford players  (Read 8939 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Hereford players
« on: January 25, 2022, 10:02:33 PM »

I see there was something in this week's NLP about a couple of Hereford players, Afghanistan international (although UK based since age one) Maziar Kouhyar, who played in the Trophy final for them, and British Indian Dinesh Gillela, signed recently from Hayes. And Yeading. United. Absurdly, they represent 20% of British South Asians that are professional footballers. Just 10 out of 4,000 pro footballers in the UK - representing  o.25% of footballers, compared to 7% of the total population . I remember a tv news item some years ago about the issues, how there was a perception among some club owners that "Asians" didn't make good footballers, and they interviewed one young lad who had broken all sorts of records in an amateur league, and yet had failed to get a trial at any professional club.

I assumed things would have changed by now, but apparently not. Hereford manager Josh Gowling, who wrote the article talked of unconscious biases, and one wonders if there is still a problem. There may be genuine reasons of course why South Asians are less likely to make it in the professional game, but at the same time, one might reasonably ask if enough is being done to make a path for them into the game. A couple of British Pakistani lads where I used to work - one was quite a decent football player, the other a cricketer and a real athlete (they were from Ashton). meanwhile, a boy from Altrincham's Kerala Catholic community (i.e. Indian) said he wanted to be a formula one driver.

There must be plenty of South Asians who would make good footballers, including many locally. The club have been talking about improving scouting for players - is it an issue they have considered, going out looking for players from this untapped community, scanning amateur leagues or even 5-aside leagues, trying to create an environment that would attract them? Surely it is a matter worth considering, besides which if there are really "unconscious biases", it would be the right thing to do. Wolves have quite a big group of "Asian" supporters, and Hereford are clearly benefitting from their South Asian players - are there things for us to learn?

In other Hereford related news, the FACupFactFile Team Award special 150th anniversary award for the non-league club that have had the biggest impact on the competition went to Hereford United, pipping Altrincham and Yeovil Town. Apparently 17 consecutive 1st round appearances is rated more highly than four consecutive third round appearances. I still say Alty had the best ever result though, the only team ever to win away at a first division club (since the third division started) coming from behind, even if Hopkins did help a bit!

And former Hereford player Mustapha Bundu recently starred at the Africa Cup of Nations for Sierra Leone in their 0-0 draw with champions Algeria. Who says Hereford players can't come good!

As for that other former Hereford player Kennedy Digie, I have reviewed some previous match highlights, and clearly there are a lot of  bad mistakes that need to be cut out (although I stand by my comment thatafter the second Torquay goal he did ok - prove me wrong!). I wonder now if the fact of not having a settled team in recent times has been a contributory factor to mistakes from him and other players as well. If you have a settled team who all know each other's games, it must make it much easier to know where to pass, and what to do in given situations. I assume that Parky just sees the big strong lad and assumes that with time and coaching he can learn to cut out the worst of the mistakes. We will see. Maybe...

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Hereford players
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 02:00:59 AM »

As for that other former Hereford player Kennedy Digie, I have reviewed some previous match highlights, and clearly there are a lot of  bad mistakes that need to be cut out (although I stand by my comment thatafter the second Torquay goal he did ok - prove me wrong!).

Here you go then - you're wrong...

To quote John Laidlar's match report:

"Torquay now brought on Holman for Wright and, within seconds, another slip by Digie gave Holman a great chance but his well-struck, low shot was tipped round the post by Thompson for a corner (77 mins).

Circa 9:47 onwards on the Alty TV highlights:

https://youtu.be/tUfAx1FjDAs?t=587

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 02:03:57 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 02:57:56 AM »

I forgot about Laidlar's report. They tend to be quite extensive don't they?

I'll have a look at the highlights, though they may not be extensive enough to highlight all those good tackles I remember in the second half. A pity they don't make the whole match available so I can see how much of what I believe to have happened actually occurred.

The first bit seems to be right though...:) :-[

Edit: Watched the highlights now. Yes, that was poor to concede possession there (though those were the only two serious mistakes to make it to the highlights I think). Seriously - I know Parky likes a passing game, but when Digie gets in those positions and there's not a pass on, someone really should tell him to boot it out. At least he won't give away a goalscoring chance then. Though perhaps other players need to take responsibility too and give him an option or tell him to just clear it. The trouble is there's been so many players coming in and out of the team - Furman, Fitzpatrick, White coming back from injury and now Berkoe. Easier said than done, but we need to get a settled defence and some training sessions together - hopefully they will have times to work on these things this week.

I see Digie did one good pass inside, so at least one of the good passes weren't just imagined! And he actually won a header as well - "half cleared". As I thought, he went up field a few times too. I wonder if he might actually be more effective up there, trying to unsettle defenders and scrapping for the ball? It wouldn't matter so much if he gave the ball away in those positions either.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 03:42:44 AM by Hugh »

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 09:15:38 AM »

It's hard to tell which posts from you make you look more delusional.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 10:00:04 AM »

;D ;D ;D

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 10:55:06 AM »

The only place Digie would be effective is at a club in the North West Counties League. Berkoe needs to step up to, if he's capable of doing so. We're in a very bad place right now, and climbing out of it is not going to be easy.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 11:21:22 AM »

Sadly, reminds me of Cyrus.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 02:14:42 PM »

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 02:31:41 PM »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 02:34:47 PM »

Both of these are probably better at centre back than the John I'm referring to! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 02:44:36 PM »

Sadly, reminds me of Cyrus.

Vance?

Miley ?

Who? Had to look her up on the internet. I have learnt my one thing for the day. Ta.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 03:01:53 AM »

Be nice if you could actually contribute to the discussion sometimes.

I mentioned an unsettled team. The first Torquay goal would appear to be a case in point - new player Osborne and new player Berkoe both apparently pointing the finger, in one case while the ball was still in play. Would this sort of thing happen if we had a settled team?

It would also be interesting to hear from management about Digie. Presumably they know more about it than any of us, and they must have their reasons for playing him. What is their thinking?

And just out of interest, perhaps AA (or anyone else) would like to tell me if Digie made any other mistakes after the second goal, or if it was just the one mistake in 40 minutes of football, and also say what else he did. Very difficult for me to prove anything from just brief highlights and my memories (maybe I should make notes next time if people are going to be so fussy).

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 08:31:29 AM »

I mentioned an unsettled team. The first Torquay goal would appear to be a case in point - new player Osborne and new player Berkoe both apparently pointing the finger, in one case while the ball was still in play. Would this sort of thing happen if we had a settled team?

It would also be interesting to hear from management about Digie. Presumably they know more about it than any of us, and they must have their reasons for playing him. What is their thinking?

And just out of interest, perhaps AA (or anyone else) would like to tell me if Digie made any other mistakes after the second goal, or if it was just the one mistake in 40 minutes of football, and also say what else he did. Very difficult for me to prove anything from just brief highlights and my memories (maybe I should make notes next time if people are going to be so fussy).
Rather than being nice to hear from the management about individual players it would be incredibly unprofessional of them to do so.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

andrewflynn

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 08:33:16 AM »

Hannigan is injured.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 10:15:25 AM »

Rather than being nice to hear from the management about individual players it would be incredibly unprofessional of them to do so.

If we had a local paper doing the interviews over Brian (a club press officer) I'd imagine Parkinson would be commenting on individuals as the focus of the interview would be answering the fans views because this drives clicks and views for their employer.
It's all my fault.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Hereford players