Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Non Altrincham FC Talk
 Blackburn match delayed by fan collapse now.

Author Topic: Blackburn match delayed by fan collapse now.  (Read 4206 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: January 25, 2022, 09:08:18 PM »

But only for 9 minutes last night. See here.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/19871853.blackburn-fan-taken-ill-game-stable-condition/

So among others that is Blackburn, Sheffield, and Wigan just fairly locally affected by these sudden collapses recently, plus relating to this club the heart attack at the County game, and a match officiated by Altrincham referee Anthony Taylor last year.

We know now that collapses and deaths among players worldwide increased in 2021, and are starting to get an idea of why this might have happened, but I have still not heard figures for games affected by fan collapses. My general impression is that there have been more of these incidents than in previous years, including of course two Premier League games in one day last year, and certainly, I don't remember there being so many of these cases in the past, and as I say, I don't remember there being any previous heart attacks when I have been watching Alty. However, I could be wrong, and it would be interesting to get confirmation of the actual numbers and whether  there is a significant increase.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Blackburn match delayed by fan collapse now.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 10:08:42 PM »

Anecdotally, I can  immediately think of a Worcester City steward who sadly died after a collapse during our final visit to St George's Lane, when he was taken  to hospital in an ambulance originally ordered for Stephen Rose.
Although I wasn't present, I can also remember a Chorlton Town reserve player dying following a game against our reserve team in 1988 or so.

Supporters and even players have collapsed at football matches and other sports for years. I have not seen figures either, but, I suspect that games are more likely to be stopped if a supporter has a tragic incident nowadays - that won't apply to players, but there have been occasional incidents like this for years.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Non Altrincham FC Talk