PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Torquay Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Torquay Match Thread  (Read 21327 times)

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Torquay Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2022, 06:29:12 PM »

We weren't awarded a penalty today.

Leon.  My mistake, off text it looked like the Colclough free kick off the post was a pen!!! I didn’t read closely enough 😕🤷🏼‍♂️

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2022, 06:42:17 PM »

We weren't but arguably should have been as, from my vantage point near the Corner Flag the injury time foul looked clearly inside the area

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2022, 09:49:03 PM »

Was it me or did anyone else think Ryan Colclough gave a good impression of a person wishing he was somewhere else today. Yes his free kick  was very good, but he gave me the impression of being very sulky today…

As for the game.   Another error strewn day at the back gifted Torquay the game, it’s beyond a joke now how we piss about with passing the ball back all the time then Tommo giving stupid balls out to defenders who become under pressure straight away.

I think it’s time Sutton came back.  I’m not a fan of Digie he is always one pass away from an errant ball to the opposition ie Torquay’s winner.

a bloke asked me if I wanted a golden goal ticket today I said only if it has a time of under ten mins, (goal conceded after just 5 1/2 mins.

Worrying times at Moss Lane, teams have sussed us and stop us building from the back

One last moan .. What the hell is wrong with the floodlights, another blackout just as the second half was about to start

A great goal by Toby and I thought the two fullbacks gave a good account of themselves as did Osbourne.

I think Mooney would be better on the Left wing as when he plays on the right he keeps checking back inside as he is very left foot dominant.

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2022, 11:14:42 PM »

No denying it’s been a torrid 3 months results wise.  I didn’t think we’d beat Torquay before the game, but we gifted them both goals and that’s incredibly frustrating.  I’ve never liked, nor understood, our insistence on playing the ball laterally across the back; it invites the oppo to press forward and we simply can’t cope.  We are far, far better when we play positive.
Worth pointing out, I feel is that the table shows clearly the split between traditional NL clubs and the clubs that’ve been relegated.  Gulf between the two still exists and we should be mindful
If this when we are quick to criticise.

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2022, 09:00:32 AM »

Was it me or did anyone else think Ryan Colclough gave a good impression of a person wishing he was somewhere else today. Yes his free kick  was very good, but he gave me the impression of being very sulky today…

As for the game.   Another error strewn day at the back gifted Torquay the game, it’s beyond a joke now how we piss about with passing the ball back all the time then Tommo giving stupid balls out to defenders who become under pressure straight away.

I think it’s time Sutton came back.  I’m not a fan of Digie he is always one pass away from an errant ball to the opposition ie Torquay’s winner.

a bloke asked me if I wanted a golden goal ticket today I said only if it has a time of under ten mins, (goal conceded after just 5 1/2 mins.

Worrying times at Moss Lane, teams have sussed us and stop us building from the back

One last moan .. What the hell is wrong with the floodlights, another blackout just as the second half was about to start

A great goal by Toby and I thought the two fullbacks gave a good account of themselves as did Osbourne.

I think Mooney would be better on the Left wing as when he plays on the right he keeps checking back inside as he is very left foot dominant.
I thought colclough was pretty much our best player on the pitch showed flair and creates space for others on the pitch time and time again. On the point of him wanting to be somewhere else with his skill I'm sure your right
Come on you red and white........

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2022, 09:05:27 AM »

I see Jordan Is yet to score for us still..... I do have some sympathy as for large parts he is cutting a lone figure up front . I wonder if he can score consistently at this level as we urgently need more goals
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 09:12:23 AM by alty.fc »
Come on you red and white........

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2022, 09:46:23 AM »

I see Jordan Is yet to score for us still..... I do have some sympathy as for large parts he is cutting a lone figure up front . I wonder if he can score consistently at this level as we urgently need more goals

It isn't strictly about him scoring - it's more his ability to hold the ball up and create opportunities for others. He isn't being helped by those around him, and particularly Hancock who is well below the form we know he can produce.

The whole team seems to be drained of confidence. We're guaranteed to drop to 17th on Tuesday night, since Aldershot play Southend, and whatever the result one of them will go above us. Defeat at Solihull next Saturday will leave us sitting ducks for the chasing pack. Weymouth got a great point yesterday, and I don't rule out the possibility of them actually winning their two upcoming home games against Dagenham and Aldershot. I really can't rule out the possibility of us being relegated unless we start picking up points, and February is vital for that purpose, as we have three home games (Woking, Weymouth, Dagenham) and a visit to Kings Lynn. We also have a blank Saturday when others could gain ground on us.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2022, 10:23:27 AM »

For me we have to beat Weymouth kings Lynne and Dover and we will stay up . If we don't it could be heartbreak for us
ParkINson's red and white army

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2022, 12:49:48 PM »

If a team is going to play out from the back the way we are clearly trying to do then they have to be at least similar level footballers and preferably better.

In NLN we were better and could our football teams.

At this level we're simply not.

Therefore I think an alternative may be required

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2022, 01:08:26 PM »

It isn't strictly about him scoring - it's more his ability to hold the ball up and create opportunities for others. He isn't being helped by those around him, and particularly Hancock who is well below the form we know he can produce.

The whole team seems to be drained of confidence. We're guaranteed to drop to 17th on Tuesday night, since Aldershot play Southend, and whatever the result one of them will go above us. Defeat at Solihull next Saturday will leave us sitting ducks for the chasing pack. Weymouth got a great point yesterday, and I don't rule out the possibility of them actually winning their two upcoming home games against Dagenham and Aldershot. I really can't rule out the possibility of us being relegated unless we start picking up points, and February is vital for that purpose, as we have three home games (Woking, Weymouth, Dagenham) and a visit to Kings Lynn. We also have a blank Saturday when others could gain ground on us.

The rearrangement of the King's Lynn game means that we do not have a blank Saturday in February, Phil.
https://www.altrinchamfc.com/news/kings-lynn-town-v-altrincham-rearranged

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2022, 01:41:25 PM »

The rearrangement of the King's Lynn game means that we do not have a blank Saturday in February, Phil.

Mea culpa - failed to update my fixture list !

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2022, 01:42:13 PM »

Brian. Are we getting a post match interview later this week?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2022, 03:29:29 PM »

For me we have to beat Weymouth kings Lynne and Dover and we will stay up . If we don't it could be heartbreak for us

The problem is that in the early stages of the season when we were getting results and were seen as dangerous perhaps teams stood off us more than now. At the moment we're seen, especially by those around us who also need to pick up points, as an opportunity to do that. Teams have worked us out and are emboldened to attack us.
We need to work on our defence and focus on effective counterattacking because that's the way forward imvho.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2022, 06:23:28 PM »

I can't help but feel that a decent opportunity to achieve a long-awaited victory was squandered yesterday, as Torquay United were missing their best two defenders, Joe Lewis and Dean Moxey, owing to self-isolation.

Nonetheless, we ultimately didn't deserve to get anything out of the game. That flurry in the closing ten minutes merely flattered to deceive, as Torquay should have put the game to bed in the 64th minute when Lemonheigh-Evans inexplicably contrived to shoot over the crossbar from close range.

It's difficult to see where our next win is going to come from at present, particularly as we seem incapable of keeping a clean sheet.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2022, 07:25:33 PM »

In truth the lack of goals by the strike force has been the forefront of posts on here over recent times.

A pity the same cannot be said of the number conceded..

Food for thought.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Torquay Match Thread