PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The elephant in the room
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The elephant in the room  (Read 13157 times)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
The elephant in the room
« on: December 28, 2021, 05:25:20 PM »

We're all convinced that relegation isn't a threat. However, while Dover and Kings Lynn look a good bet to go, that third drop slot is occupied by Weymouth, who are only 10 points behind us with 2 games in hand. Of the six teams between us and them, five have 2 games hand. We've only picked up 7 points from our last 11 league games, 3 of them from one match.

I still think we're "too good to go down" but it wouldn't be the first time we've imploded after a decent start to the season.

I honestly believe we could be back in National North unless this culture of losing is stopped very quickly. There are two important areas to address :

1. We need somebody to put away the chances we create.

2. We must address the regular concession of goals from set pieces.

Come on lads - for God's sake prove me wrong.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: The elephant in the room
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 05:33:05 PM »

I know we make loads of chances but we need a number nine don't we?

PS. Not sure if this has been mentioned.

PPS. I'm absolutely positive Parky knows this and will rectify the deficiency ASAP.

PPPS. we all just need to keep the faith for the time being. As I've said on a number of occasions, I'm definitely a glass half empty kind of bloke but I truly believe we'll turn this around.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 05:41:59 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 05:39:37 PM »

We are slipping down the table and we need to start picking up points. Whilst we need a striker as all know, were also now not scoring from other positions. This needs to change and quickly.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 06:02:16 PM »

As it stands, we will go down.

The side that had rankine and Reeves was "too good to go down"
It's all my fault.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 06:17:11 PM »

The side that had Rankine and Reeves in it had too many players that had completely lost their confidence. We are nowhere near that.

It was a much better performance today. We were the better team for much of the second half. Everyone was up for it from the off. Players who were criticised after Stockport stepped up a gear today.

We need to get through the Stockport game and then regroup.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 06:27:24 PM »

The side that had Rankine and Reeves in it had too many players that had completely lost their confidence. We are nowhere near that..

90% of players in this sqaud are confidence based...
It's all my fault.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 06:55:18 PM »

The side that had Rankine and Reeves in it had too many players that had completely lost their confidence. We are nowhere near that..

I think that is true of the vast majority of players in all sports. We aren't there though. We're going through a difficult set of fixtures. If we don't get anything from the Kings Lynn game I'll change my mind.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 07:01:56 PM »

I think that is true of the vast majority of players in all sports. We aren't there though. We're going through a difficult set of fixtures. If we don't get anything from the Kings Lynn game I'll change my mind.

15 games is a quater of the season. In that we've played 3 sides in the league below, 3 sides in the bottom 4, and 4 in the bottom half (when we played them).

1 win.
It's all my fault.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2021, 07:15:59 PM »

We're nowhere near clubs like Stockport or Wrexham. I agree, a loss to Kings Lynn would be cause for concern. Losing to Stockport and Wrexham is par for the course for us. Phil after Stockport was talking about us sticking with them and we should. We'll be fine by the end of the season I'm confident of that but we shouldn't turn on the players and management after one set of poor results.

I'll be interested to see how we do against sides around us as we've had a long run of seemingly playing sides top of the league, in great form or around the play offs. The last time we did so was against Weymouth who we ended up dismantling away from home. Maybe that's our place at the moment and if it is the case then we're doing extremely well. I'd have taken an improvement on last season's position at the start of the year and we're still on for that as we speak despite this poor run.

Poor results against Kings Lynn, Torquay and Woking at home and I will be concerned but for now we're doing well enough that this bad run isn't the difference in survival or relegation for us like it might have been in previous years.

I'd forgotten about Southend. That's a game we definitely should've won something from.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 07:19:36 PM by GolfRoader »

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2021, 07:48:27 PM »

In height we are a very small team which is one of the main reasons why we are conceding so many from set pieces. Only Toby and Digie had height today. This is also the problem attacking our own set pieces.

We are well off a National League standard CM. I did like the look of Marriott but we are still two short of the quality needed.

Moult is now looking slow.Porter was just OK today, never influences games or bosses the game in CM.
Furman is OK but again small, poor finisher and getting on.

We need two 6ft plus quailty CM's.

We need a striker ASAP. We put decent balls in but no one is bright enough in our current team to read these balls. The lack of players in the 6 yard box at times is a worry.

Us at our most dangerous under Parky was Hanks 10 to Hulme 9.
They both played close together and their movement was really good. Hanks at the moment looks completely lost.

We also miss Mooney's direct running. Colcough is always a starter but I do feel Kossy on the wing runs into dead ends. Kossy is better as a No.10.

For me we are still missing  at LB, CB, CM and ST to seriously compete.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 10:04:14 PM by oneedham »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 08:14:16 PM »

Agree with all of the above.
We are not going to be relegated but it will be closer than we would like.
I'm pinning my hopes on us surviving and then addressing the problems by being (at least) hybrid next season.
But, as you say, we've got to start picking up the required points after the christmas holidays nightmare is over.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2021, 09:43:24 PM »

Maybe we can't afford new players due to the fact the club are now having to pay for stewards SIA from an outside agency since #Grassgate

Odd statement considering we have just paid an "undisclosed fee" for a new player.

I am a little bit worried we could gradually, gently slip down the table, getting the odd brave draw here and there, and suddenly find ourselves 21st in the final week of the season. There is plenty of time yet, but we surely have to start with a striker, from somewhere, sooner or later.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2021, 09:56:03 PM »

Maybe we can't afford new players due to the fact the club are now having to pay for stewards SIA from an outside agency since #Grassgate

Odd statement considering we have just paid an "undisclosed fee" for a new player.

I am a little bit worried we could gradually, gently slip down the table, getting the odd brave draw here and there, and suddenly find ourselves 21st in the final week of the season. There is plenty of time yet, but we surely have to start with a striker, from somewhere, sooner or later.

Thats how we went last down.
It's all my fault.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2021, 10:03:49 PM »

Thats how we went last down.

Yes, that's what worries me. In both 2000 and 2016 we had a dreadful end to the season following a decent start.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2021, 11:23:57 PM »

We won't go down unless we have a serious injury crisis like 1997. Almost certainly (unfortunately).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The elephant in the room