News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Non Altrincham FC Talk
 Sounds a right mess in Wales.

Author Topic: Sounds a right mess in Wales.  (Read 2184 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: December 27, 2021, 06:38:47 PM »

With crowd limits of 50, Welsh rugby wants to know what they are supposed to do about lower league matches on council land where anyone can turn up, should they end up with rather more than 50 people there, like once happened with Packet House.
I suppose it'll be like in that 1942 film "One of Our Aircraft Is Missing" when they were only allowed 200 people at the match in occupied Holland and the German police demanded that 50 leave! Never mind, three weeks to flatten the curve...

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Sounds a right mess in Wales.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 10:41:51 PM »

With crowd limits of 50, Welsh rugby wants to know what they are supposed to do about lower league matches on council land where anyone can turn up, should they end up with rather more than 50 people there, like once happened with Packet House.
I suppose it'll be like in that 1942 film "One of Our Aircraft Is Missing" when they were only allowed 200 people at the match in occupied Holland and the German police demanded that 50 leave! Never mind, three weeks to flatten the curve...
It's very similar to the rules in England during part of last spring when spectators were not allowed at all at football, and other sporting events, at private grounds, but were allowed on public land  as there is nothing to stop them. I remember going to a game at Old Alts, as they play on a public recreation ground at Crossford Bridge, and elsewhere to other games.

I also went to a Welsh Cup game in the summer at Ruabon Rovers on a public ground when 220 were there, but only 100 were  then permitted, but it was on open public land.  No problem, nothing happened. Although you and I might disagree with Boris Johnson and Mark Drakeford, they are not actually Nazis!

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 12:25:36 AM »

Still, it begs the question - how credible are some of these rules  if they can't realistically be enforced? And how much will people's respect for rules be damaged? I remember a story that people were more likely to keep speed limits when they could see that there were good reasons for them. Now we have been living through a time where it is virtually impossible to keep every rule (as politicians have repeatedly demonstrated) and that baffle many. I fear a lasting effect.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 09:31:07 PM »

That's very fair comment.
Rules which cannot realistically be enforced or which are routinely broken by members of the government or their scientific advisers lose their credibility.

As an example, I did read something about a rugby union game in Wales which had 50 watching from the touchline, although I am not sure how that would be enforced at a lower level, but there were 140 or so present in the clubhouse. In contrast, the FAW have suspended all domestic football (some smaller clubs did want to continue), in the hope football will resume shortly; Welsh football deliberately began early to cater for any suspension for covid, so this may not ruin the season.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 05:50:43 AM »

Well, if what is happening in South Africa (and London, where cases are apparently already falling), hopefully it won't be too long til crowds return in full. I can only hope the Welsh government sees it that way. And that the "English government" don't start imposing more restrictions. I was hopeful of things being fairly back to normal after when the County match was supposed to happen.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Non Altrincham FC Talk