News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tony Webber R.I.P.

Author Topic: Tony Webber R.I.P.  (Read 3922 times)

tmcav

Tony Webber R.I.P.
« on: January 03, 2022, 03:59:51 PM »

Former Alty player Tony Webber passed away just before Christmas.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Tony Webber R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 04:03:52 PM »

https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2021/december/remembering-tony-webber/

A lovely write up about his accomplishments as a Morecambe player.

Condolences to his family and friends.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 07:51:38 PM »

As I recall, he joined Alty from Morecambe in late November/early December 1976 at the same time that we signed Jeff Johnson from Hyde United.

The rumoured respective transfer fees back then were £1,500 for Webber and £500 for Johnson.

If I'm not mistaken, both players scored on their debut in a 4-1 defeat of Gainsborough Trinity in an NPL fixture at Moss Lane on Saturday, 4th December 1976.

I can't really pinpoint quite why such a player of Webber's proven pedigree didn't proceed to have a successful career with the Robins. Was he plagued by injuries? Can anyone out there enlighten me?!

The statistics in my possession record his Alty career (1976/77 & 1977/78 seasons) as comprising a total of 30 (+4 as sub) appearances in all competitions, during which he scored a tally of five goals.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 09:15:33 PM »

Wasn't it Tony Webber who featured prominently on the front cover of the Robins Review during the 1977/78 NPL season?

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 09:53:32 PM »

I think we signed Johnny Rogers in 1977 didn't we and that limited his appearances?
(I could be wrong here, my old brain is getting less reliable!)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 11:19:28 PM »

I think we signed Johnny Rogers in 1977 didn't we and that limited his appearances?
(I could be wrong here, my old brain is getting less reliable!)

I think you're right about JR arriving at that time. I'd kill for a striker with his qualities right now.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 09:39:16 AM »

Whilst not condoning inflicting death I would most definitely deliver a world leading Chinese burn for any striker at present

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 12:15:39 PM »

For me that day in 1976 when Jeff Johnson and Tony Webber joined the club was the start of our long climb to the pinnacle of non-League football.

It showed intent and ambition, it showed us turning our back on the mediocrity of the previous couple of years.

We signed a legend that day, the first of a handful that joined us over the next couple of seasons.  And Tony Webber played his part, even if not the dominant forward we were hoping for. 

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 12:18:39 PM »

Tony Webber was a decent player but also an inconsistent one, in away match programmes he was always described as being good "on his day". He was a fast, bustling sort of player in the style of Andy Green (90s) maybe. He got an injury just as we started out on our run to the 76-77 FA Trophy semi finals and Mickey Moore's return to the side kept him out. Moore was suspended/injured for the 2nd replay and Webber played but didn't have his best game. He was still with us at the start of the following season but the purchase of John Rogers meant he was always going to be a squad player and I think he left pretty soon after Rogers' arrival. The photo on the front of the 77-78 season programme was indeed Webber in a pre-season game against Halifax, may have been his last appearance for the Robins.

Paul

As I recall, he joined Alty from Morecambe in late November/early December 1976 at the same time that we signed Jeff Johnson from Hyde United.

The rumoured respective transfer fees back then were £1,500 for Webber and £500 for Johnson.

If I'm not mistaken, both players scored on their debut in a 4-1 defeat of Gainsborough Trinity in an NPL fixture at Moss Lane on Saturday, 4th December 1976.

I can't really pinpoint quite why such a player of Webber's proven pedigree didn't proceed to have a successful career with the Robins. Was he plagued by injuries? Can anyone out there enlighten me?!

The statistics in my possession record his Alty career (1976/77 & 1977/78 seasons) as comprising a total of 30 (+4 as sub) appearances in all competitions, during which he scored a tally of five goals.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 05:53:01 PM »

Tony Webber was a decent player but also an inconsistent one, in away match programmes he was always described as being good "on his day".

He was a fast, bustling sort of player in the style of Andy Green (90s) maybe. He got an injury just as we started out on our run to the 76-77 FA Trophy semi finals and Mickey Moore's return to the side kept him out. Moore was suspended/injured for the 2nd replay and Webber played but didn't have his best game. He was still with us at the start of the following season but the purchase of John Rogers meant he was always going to be a squad player and I think he left pretty soon after Rogers' arrival. The photo on the front of the 77-78 season programme was indeed Webber in a pre-season game against Halifax, may have been his last appearance for the Robins.

Paul

I recollect a Tuesday evening trip to Stafford Rangers in September 1977 when Tony Webber sticks in my memory as having been outstanding.
Alty won 1-0 by means of a goal from the legendary Joe Flaherty.

I note that his final goal for the Robins occurred in a 1-1 NPL draw with Runcorn at Canal Street on 14th November 1977.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 07:07:28 PM »

That game at Canal Street - I remember it snowed and Runcorn's goal was Barry Howard direct from a corner.

And I was at that game at Stafford too
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tony Webber R.I.P.