Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 In the top five of the 'coldest you have ever been at an Alty game' category...
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: In the top five of the 'coldest you have ever been at an Alty game' category...  (Read 8455 times)

andrewflynn

I remember Newcastle Blue Star in the FA Cup as bitterly cold, too.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I remember Newcastle Blue Star in the FA Cup as bitterly cold, too.

That was mega chedder bobs
Full time and proud of it

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

One afternoon at Gravesend and Northfleet comes to mind 10/15 years ago.

I also found Southend the other week freezing. Maybe sitting down didn't help.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

i remember a home game in 1978 where the rain was horizontal ,I had a fur hat on and a large coat,got a good soaking as i was the only one stood behind the goal in the chequers end.As for coldest it must have been either the Fa cup game at home to Wrexham in about 1964 or the away FA cup game at Grantham,both games lots of snow about.Wolves did not seem as bad,i remember both sets of supporters throwing snowballs at each other.
Harold

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Wrexham just before my time but I think I mentioned the foot and mouth diversions on the coach to Grantham before and, of course, the knee caps jittering once eventually there (missing kick off) above.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Randy Konk

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile

Whitby Town away circa 1999. Didn't warm up properly until Monday...

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Blyth in the FA Cup on a bitterly cold January day a few years back. We travelled up to ML from Shrewsbury and got on the fans coach. Bloody freezing afternoon.

Closely followed by Southend  a couple of weeks ago. I was still shivering and  I was in Bowdon before I started to warm up

Yep, Blyth and also Chorley maybe three years back were both grim days for more reasons than simply the identical 1-4 reverses.

Didn't get there early enough to get in that small grandstand at Chorley, so I stood on the sideline getting battered sideways by stinging cold rain - was already on my way back down the ground towards the exit when the 4th went in.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile

South Liverpool, 28/12/68 at Holly Park in the NPL. It was the only game of any status taking place within 40 miles, and was packed out - which was good because the warmth of the crowd compensated for it being sub-freezing temperature. The pitch was absolutely shocking, and the 0-0 draw was totally predictable !

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I'm surprised that no one else has already mentioned this one, but I thought that the FA Trophy game at Farsley a few years ago was the coldest I could remember for some time.  I sat down in their tiny stand and my knees were knocking and my teeth were chattering until a kind lady arrived and sat in the seat next to me.  She had two heavy wool blankets and a large flask of Yorkshire tea and shared the same with me.  It was also the location of one of the most bizarre refereeing performances I have ever seen.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile

I'm surprised that no one else has already mentioned this one, but I thought that the FA Trophy game at Farsley a few years ago was the coldest I could remember for some time.  I sat down in their tiny stand and my knees were knocking and my teeth were chattering until a kind lady arrived and sat in the seat next to me.  She had two heavy wool blankets and a large flask of Yorkshire tea and shared the same with me.  It was also the location of one of the most bizarre refereeing performances I have ever seen.

I'd forgotten that one ! The conditions were almost as appalling as the referee.....

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

General Chemicals was by far the coldest ive ever been pitch was frozen solid wide open to the elements, slap bang in the middle of that massive chemical complex near Chester absolutely brass monkeys that night. 
FFS

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Whitby Town away circa 1999. Didn't warm up properly until Monday...

Was that the game where someone was despatched to get Leroy Chambers a pair of tights?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 In the top five of the 'coldest you have ever been at an Alty game' category...