Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 In the top five of the 'coldest you have ever been at an Alty game' category...
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: In the top five of the 'coldest you have ever been at an Alty game' category...  (Read 9063 times)

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Those of us who also made the trek to Ryhope CA also felt the strength of the wind off the North Sea blowing up the rows of terraced streets.
That was chilly too, even if not at the level of Tow Law

I went to Ryhope and yeah that was bitter bitterly cold.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I didn't make it to Tow Law Town, but I certainly recall the York game.  I only had a t-shirt on (above the waist that day) and was subjected to a lengthy conversation with Yorkshire constabulary about whether i was under the influence of drugs (I wasn't) or alcohol (possibly).

I didn't find Ryhope that cold, but I am surprised no-one has mentioned our first visit to Cammell Laird which was a bit chilly

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile

I didn't make it to Tow Law Town, but I certainly recall the York game.  I only had a t-shirt on (above the waist that day) and was subjected to a lengthy conversation with Yorkshire constabulary about whether i was under the influence of drugs (I wasn't) or alcohol (possibly).

I didn't find Ryhope that cold, but I am surprised no-one has mentioned our first visit to Cammell Laird which was a bit chilly

Always suspected you were raised by polar bears Bill  ;D

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Blyth in the FA Cup on a bitterly cold January day a few years back. We travelled up to ML from Shrewsbury and got on the fans coach. Bloody freezing afternoon.

Closely followed by Southend  a couple of weeks ago. I was still shivering and  I was in Bowdon before I started to warm up

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV

Remember a game at Morecambe's old ground some years ago (may have been a cup game?) with a bitterly cold wind blowing in sleet in from the north. Honestly thought I was almost hypothermic and have never been more relieved to hear the full-time whistle even though (from my abysmal memory) I think we lost.

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Witton away CSC in the 90's as it went close to extra time and we didn't care who scored, just desperate to get in the car for heat.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Leek away in the cup I think. It was about 25-30 years ago and I think we won but it was so cold I can't really remember.

My dad's car froze and we had to wait for ages to get away.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Blyth in the FA Cup on a bitterly cold January day a few years back. We travelled up to ML from Shrewsbury and got on the fans coach. Bloody freezing afternoon.

Closely followed by Southend  a couple of weeks ago. I was still shivering and  I was in Bowdon before I started to warm up

I might have to rethink this, I went to a game at Blyth, the year escapes me, there was about 5" of snow in Newcastle but nothing on the coast but was it cold! In fact I remember the Alty fans behind the goal singing "It's Very Cold....Very Very Very Cold......"
I didn't think Ryhope was all that bad but the girl I took along seemed to think it was, she whinged non-stop for two hours. Never pleased are they?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I might have to rethink this, I went to a game at Blyth, the year escapes me, there was about 5" of snow in Newcastle but nothing on the coast but was it cold! In fact I remember the Alty fans behind the goal singing "It's Very Cold....Very Very Very Cold......"
I didn't think Ryhope was all that bad but the girl I took along seemed to think it was, she whinged non-stop for two hours. Never pleased are they?

Oh, yes, I remember an Easter Monday game at Blyth when the conditions were so bad travelling back that I thought it was worth calling my mother to say I had got back  okay, This may well have been 1998 when we drew 3-3?

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Not at the match but on the special train back from White Hart Lane in January 1979. There was no heating and it was such a slow journey back.

Brrrrr.....

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile

Not at the match but on the special train back from White Hart Lane in January 1979. There was no heating and it was such a slow journey back.

Brrrrr.....

Ah yes, but did we care ? I got home from the station in about 25 minutes, and it felt as if I were floating above the snow. Happy days !

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Hottest?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Leek away in the cup I think. It was about 25-30 years ago and I think we won but it was so cold I can't really remember.

My dad's car froze and we had to wait for ages to get away.

I suspect that you are referring to our FA Trophy First Round tie at Leek Town on Saturday, 12th January 1991.

Alty won 4-0 with one of the goals being scored by Harry Wiggins, whereupon he promptly lost one of his contact lenses in the celebrations and then had to leave the pitch temporarily in order to locate a replacement.

Indeed, a chilly afternoon and a game at which I recall there being a bizarrely disproportionate police presence.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

andrewflynn

Mossley in the Integro Cup 2017/18. Chilled to the bone. There were audible sighs when it went to extra time. And penalties.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Re the 1991 Leek fixture there were reports that certain (Un named) players stole the clothes of the late Les Atwood whilst he was in the shower and stowed them on the Coach.
Had it not been for the consideration on Martin "Bambi" Baker, returning them he would have been forced to streak across the Car Park to regain his modesty
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 In the top five of the 'coldest you have ever been at an Alty game' category...