Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 In the top five of the 'coldest you have ever been at an Alty game' category...
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: In the top five of the 'coldest you have ever been at an Alty game' category...  (Read 9065 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

On this day 40 years ago.

Does anyone recollect anything about this nondescript 0-0 draw other than the freezing conditions?

I'm still astounded that this match ever took place:

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

My coldest would have to have been Buxton away when we were at the (then) open end throwing snowballs at the legendary Ted Burgin who turned round to say "I don't mind a bit of fun but mind mi knees lads!"
Think it was late 60s or very early 70s.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 07:07:58 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

altycliff

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile

Coldest for me was the cup game at Wolves in January 1966,the pitch was an ice rink.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

To be honest, I was absolutely frozen the other week V Southend. Even though I wrapped up warm, the cold weather that day still got through and buggered up my immune system. I  finished up with a very heavy cold afterwards, which after 9 days has only recently left me. Definitely brass monkey weather!

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Tow Law. I froze my pods off that day. 05/02/1983.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

There have been many down through the years but Tow Law in the FA Trophy is definitely the one that sticks in the memory.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile

A Cheshire Senior Cup tie in (I think) 1991/92 away at General Chemicals. Only Alty game I've left early because of weather conditions, my feet were so cold and painful I just couldn't stand any longer. Regarding the York game, I remember the heating on the coach going there didn't work and the driver got lost!

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Portsmouth a couple of years ago was absolutely taters.
Come on Alty!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Grantham away in the FA Cup was another. I remember having to stand at a slight crouch to stop my knee caps going up and down!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Tow Law by several degrees of chilliness

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

My coldest would have to have been Buxton away when we were at the (then) open end throwing snowballs at the legendary Ted Burgin who turned round to say "I don't mind a bit of fun but mind mi knees lads!"
Think it was late 60s or very early 70s.

Buxton was the town where Clive Lloyd went with his Lancs CCC team to play Derbyshire to find the ground covered in snow and said Mr Lloyd wondering why he left the Caribbean!

Every time I have been to Buxton it has rained....except the times it snowed!

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I went to the York 2nd Round game but I have to agree, Tow Law in 1983 with the snow piled around the pitch probably clinches it.
I did go to Wakefield (Emley) some years ago. rather naively, as it was quite balmy in London, I went in a T-shirt and thin zip up jacket. It was about 10C colder on arrival and I had to buy a cheap jumper off the market.
That Wakefield game was also the occasion where I had by a distance, the worst pie/food of any sort ever at a game.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

It would be the York game for me, (I think only four FA Cup matches beat the weather that day) although I didn't go to that Tow Law match in the early eighties. I did attend our game there a few years later when it was merely  staged in  a gale and pouring with rain but not freezing.

The coldest I have ever been at a game was probably at Buxton  against Colwyn Bay when our game at Macclesfield was a late call off in the mid nineties. More or less for a joke, I phoned Buxton from a phonebox - "I assume the game is off," "No, it's still on." - so we set off over the Cat and Fiddle to  Silverlands for a game which, even if it should have started, should not have finished. Mark Dempsey, I think before he joined us, played in this match, but was substituted suffering from mild hypothermia.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

To be honest, I was absolutely frozen the other week V Southend. Even though I wrapped up warm, the cold weather that day still got through and buggered up my immune system. I  finished up with a very heavy cold afterwards, which after 9 days has only recently left me. Definitely brass monkey weather!
Likewise re. Southend, although I was coming down with Covid at the time just to compound the misery.

Previous coldest I recall was an away game at Macc in the early 90s. Bob Lord / Drinkwise Trophy or similar, sure we equalised very late on to bring about a very unwelcome period of extra time.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Those of us who also made the trek to Ryhope CA also felt the strength of the wind off the North Sea blowing up the rows of terraced streets.
That was chilly too, even if not at the level of Tow Law
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 In the top five of the 'coldest you have ever been at an Alty game' category...