PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ground safety work
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: ground safety work  (Read 42686 times)

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: ground safety work
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2021, 06:26:48 AM »

It feels as if TBC have done the best they can to ruin my life.

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2021, 09:34:55 AM »

Really disappointed with the Stewards, I asked my 86 year old Dad to sit in the stand (he's usually on the pop side) to avoid being man handled, I was embarrassed with myself for getting angry and confrontational when the Steward pushed me in the back (I did react, and he backed off). Everything about the day was disappointing, yet it's my club, in my heart and I will be there for every game.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 28, 2021, 10:11:31 AM »

Really disappointed with the Stewards, I asked my 86 year old Dad to sit in the stand (he's usually on the pop side) to avoid being man handled, I was embarrassed with myself for getting angry and confrontational when the Steward pushed me in the back (I did react, and he backed off). Everything about the day was disappointing, yet it's my club, in my heart and I will be there for every game.
there is a theme here of stewards laying hands on people . Disgusting
ParkINson's red and white army

Alty Nigel

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 28, 2021, 10:21:40 AM »

As the ground safety Officer I am concerned to read reports of ‘heavy handed’ stewarding. Please bring your concerns to me and I will do my best to address them. I’m the gentleman at the ground with safety Officer on the back.
As a club official it is not my place to detail why things have had to change at the ground.
Hopefully the club will officially post more information to explain the new restrictions.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 28, 2021, 10:29:43 AM »

As the ground safety Officer I am concerned to read reports of ‘heavy handed’ stewarding. Please bring your concerns to me and I will do my best to address them. I’m the gentleman at the ground with safety Officer on the back.
As a club official it is not my place to detail why things have had to change at the ground.
Hopefully the club will officially post more information to explain the new restrictions.
thanks Nigel I will come and talk to you happily at the next home game . To be clear for me the new restrictions are not the issue it's the way they are being implemented . I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at the team brief for these stewards as it felt like we were some type of enemy
ParkINson's red and white army

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 28, 2021, 12:10:32 PM »

It feels as if TBC have done the best they can to ruin my life.
It’s just about the only thing they’re best at. 😡

Alty Nigel

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 28, 2021, 12:29:39 PM »

Wayne, please come and seek me out. For a Saturday home game I’m at the ground by 1000 and you’ll find me in the bar after the game. Usually by 1730.
My final words to the stewards at the briefing delivered at 1245: be friendly, fair but firm.
TMBC wants to see a more professional stewarding team. So that’s what I’m trying to deliver.

For those that are able to attend away games, you cannot fail to notice the difference between how the stewards behaved at some grounds and what used to happen at J Davidson stadium.

andrewflynn

« Reply #172 on: November 28, 2021, 01:50:44 PM »

We had been pointing out that our volunteer stewards need help for years and it has been notably better this season so I welcome any further updates to our safety processes and the increase in our stewarding budget. I didn't have any problems with the stewarding yesterday but I have personally experienced heavy handed stewarding at Halifax this season, so I hope that we can work with a company that is a good combination of friendly, fair and firm when required. It would be good to keep our volunteer stewards on as liaisons who can communicate with fans first and foremost, backed up by the muscle.

We're at a bit of a crossroads, here. We're being asked to up our game and professionalise our match day operation but I think an element of how it was is what made us attractive to the floating fan. We're all used to turning up and effectively having free run the ground. Walk where you want, stand where you want, hang around and have a chat on the Golf Road End for 20 minutes after the game. I can see this being phased out in future and it's going to be hard for us to take, and 'un-Alty' to many.

I don't believe it has been made clear what structural work we are actually doing. Please can we have this explained to us in a simple list. Phrases like 'extensive ground repairs' and 'new operating practices' tell a story but don't give us the nuts and bolts and leave this situation up to interpretation, which is a problem at the moment.

What I don't understand is - what on earth are they actually checking for when they come and take a look at the ground for a capacity review? How are these things not picked up in the pre-season? Do they do a yearly safety check for these sorts of things? How have we as a club not gotten on top of this before the fact? Hindsight is wonderful and I do wonder that, if given the opportunity again, the club would have opted to make these improvements ahead of starting the Fan Zone project. It does feel like we attempted to put a jewel in a crown of thorns.

Make no mistake though, the degradation of the ground starts well before our current leadership got into their stride. Sports Hall development aside, Moss Lane has been a tired old football ground for as long as I can vividly remember, which would be around 2003 or so.

Zooming out of these past few weeks and looking at our long term progression has helped me to feel a lot better about the situation. If any business experiences rapid growth then it will magnify the weaknesses that need work, we aren't a superclub and our growth isn't going to be without challenges. I do believe we are working hard on it and I know that we will learn a lot from this, in a number of ways.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 01:52:23 PM by Andrew Flynn »

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 28, 2021, 01:55:43 PM »

Excellent post.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 28, 2021, 02:29:46 PM »

Seconded.

The way things stand at the moment I did wonder if the match would be called off yesterday due to storm damage.

I know there's a plan but there's a lot to be done to get the ground to a state where i's worthy of holding football league games.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 28, 2021, 03:05:27 PM »

Brilliant post, summarised up our current situation so well.

Give me the current situation over any of the successive relegation seasons or ‘You’re going down like a lead balloon’ from the Stafford Fans on the opening day a few years back. We are 12th in the Conference and will still be a Conference club next season, if we can sort ourselves out off the field too the momentum the club will have can really take us places.

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 28, 2021, 03:18:13 PM »

Thanks for your frank and open post, Nigel.  I'm fully behind what the current Board has set out to do and I acknowledge that not everything will run smoothly on the road to achieving their/our aims.  However, its also worth mentioning that I have felt the last 3 home matches to be among the least enjoyable in 30-plus years of attending ML.

As has been mentioned in an earlier post, we have to be careful not to lose some of what is at the heart of the Club.  I think for a great many of our fans, the freedom and trust that we enjoy are a major factor in choosing to support football at this level.  Yes, we should be ambitious, but we must be mindful of the consequences of becoming something other than what we would like to be.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 03:20:32 PM by Mrs Trellis »

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 28, 2021, 04:46:00 PM »

Some excellent posts on this thread today...

I think it's possible to have the modern, professional approach to our facilities and crowd management yet still have a friendly, welcoming ground. I'm not expert on stewarding but I'd hazard a guess that with a more modern, better laid out stadium some of the stewarding issues would be reduced somewhat.

In a way, we are victims of our own success but as others have alluded to, the ground is archaic in a lot of places and time has finally run out. I think the communication could have been a lot better at times on this whole matter but equally this current board has made so many changes for the better and I back them to get this right too.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 28, 2021, 04:55:58 PM »

I don't believe it has been made clear what structural work we are actually doing. Please can we have this explained to us in a simple list. Phrases like 'extensive ground repairs' and 'new operating practices' tell a story but don't give us the nuts and bolts and leave this situation up to interpretation, which is a problem at the moment.

Spot on.

Some transparency and details wouldn't exactly go amiss.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 28, 2021, 07:00:29 PM »

Having worked in several stadiums over the years since leaving as Safety Officer in 2011 the J Davidson Stadium is one of the hardest to steward, No CCTV , no separate entry into different stands from outside etc,
I said when we got promoted after they started the two down from the league the stewarding should have gone more professional then due to some big clubs coming down, York, Grimsby and Wrexham but we just mainly used Volunteer stewards and depending on police information if we needed to get extra or even a police presence .
Its always been a hard role for someone to do as a Volunteer safety officer i regular used clock up 30/40 hours with matches including hosted MUFC reserves games most weeks and had first Anti Glazier protest at one of them. Risk assessments to TBC and GMP plus liaising with other clubs.
We had stewards trained to NVQ 2 and 3 in spectator safety (probably more watch the games than steward them that hold this qualification)
Myself i even completed the NVQ level 4 Spectator safety management the highest you can get,
I will gladly help the club any way i can and have been in regular contact with Bill.
@AltyDaz
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ground safety work