PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ground safety work
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: ground safety work  (Read 42695 times)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: ground safety work
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2021, 11:54:21 PM »

I’ve emailed Trafford BC tonight, on their website (if it’s up to date), a Councillor Amy Whyte of Broadheath is listed as the Chair of the Safety at Sports grounds Sub-Committee so assume it’s her committee who are currently making the decisions about Moss Lane.

https://democratic.trafford.gov.uk/mgCommitteeDetails.aspx?ID=129

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2021, 12:19:42 AM »

I’ve emailed Trafford BC tonight, on their website (if it’s up to date), a Councillor Amy Whyte of Broadheath is listed as the Chair of the Safety at Sports grounds Sub-Committee so assume it’s her committee who are currently making the decisions about Moss Lane.

I did send an email to council leader Andrew Western late on Monday which got a very prompt reply on Tuesday morning (he is also a councillor in my ward, as I mentioned earlier in this thread).

His first response was that there was nothing vindictive about this, as safety was paramount, which is fair enough, but that he would consult the  council officers for more information, as he wasn't on the relevant committee.

Soon, he came back with the response from the officers. Firstly he said that the inspection was the result of a routine visit when it was noticed that there were structural deficiencies and trip hazards. This obviously conflicts with the theory that there was an inside jealous snitch or whistleblower. I can't make any informed comment on this, but the two can't both be true.

The officers also made the point that they had not reduced the capacity at that point (to 2300 or so on Tuesday morning) but they were considering doing so - not because the ground had deteriorated over the weekend, but because access to the questionable areas was not properly controlled. I assume or surmise that the club may have voluntarily reduced the ground capacity, perhaps to show willing and to avoid a further reduction, but this proved to be in vain. This may just be speculation on my part, though.

I do appreciate Andrew Western's speedy response.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2021, 04:23:01 AM »

Point still stands though, that there was a horrendous trip hazard in the GRE/pop side corner for many months and nothing done. How "routine" are these visits? Why now? Did they take their eye off the ball for quite a long period of time on that corner? And how can you go from 7,800 odd to 1,390 in a few months?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 04:27:53 AM by Hugh »

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2021, 07:33:04 AM »

Just a thought,we have the fanzone being built,do you think the visit could have been to see if that was going as planned and that was when they picked up on any problems???
Harold

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2021, 07:40:18 AM »

There needs to be a clear and unequivocal statement from Trafford and/or the club confirming the following

What prompted the inspection

The exact problems which caused the capacity to be cut 3 times.

What work is required to bring the capacity back to the 7k or so we were granted last year.

Having the ground in that state of closure last night was humiliating (and I'd have said the same if we won 5-0) and the supporters have a right to answers. There is no reason why none of the above can't be explained.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2021, 07:58:22 AM »

There needs to be a clear and unequivocal statement from Trafford and/or the club confirming the following

What prompted the inspection

The exact problems which caused the capacity to be cut 3 times.

What work is required to bring the capacity back to the 7k or so we were granted last year.

Having the ground in that state of closure last night was humiliating (and I'd have said the same if we won 5-0) and the supporters have a right to answers. There is no reason why none of the above can't be explained.
this and we need it today
ParkINson's red and white army

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2021, 08:12:12 AM »

I’m sure somebody at the club will make a statement to clear things up about who did what, when & where in the not too distant future.

It is a shame though that vital money was lost due to the crowd restrictions, As for the result, I wasn’t able to attend so I won’t comment on the outcome.

Hopefully the lads will get back to winning ways at Weymouth which I’m glad to say I will be able to get to.

Onwards & Upwards.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2021, 08:27:01 AM »

We're all hurting, but I'm not sure I want to get into a witch hunt just yet.

If I was conducting the inspection myself I'd have huge concerns - the alternative (wall collapsing on fans) isn't worth bearing to think about.

Phil mentioned the words 'taking our medicine' with regard to events on the pitch last night - seems like it might apply off it too unfortunately.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2021, 09:39:07 AM »

If the club need to fundraise for the work i am happy to donate,just let us know and set it all up like you did with the pitch fundraising
Harold

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2021, 09:44:41 AM »

Crowdfunding has worked well for us previously, but what's needed, with extreme urgency, is details about the exact works required and the timescales involved. This is a dire situation, it really is.
Come on Alty!

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2021, 10:06:05 AM »

I did send an email to council leader Andrew Western late on Monday which got a very prompt reply on Tuesday morning (he is also a councillor in my ward, as I mentioned earlier in this thread).

His first response was that there was nothing vindictive about this, as safety was paramount, which is fair enough, but that he would consult the  council officers for more information, as he wasn't on the relevant committee.

Soon, he came back with the response from the officers. Firstly he said that the inspection was the result of a routine visit when it was noticed that there were structural deficiencies and trip hazards. This obviously conflicts with the theory that there was an inside jealous snitch or whistleblower. I can't make any informed comment on this, but the two can't both be true.

The officers also made the point that they had not reduced the capacity at that point (to 2300 or so on Tuesday morning) but they were considering doing so - not because the ground had deteriorated over the weekend, but because access to the questionable areas was not properly controlled. I assume or surmise that the club may have voluntarily reduced the ground capacity, perhaps to show willing and to avoid a further reduction, but this proved to be in vain. This may just be speculation on my part, though.

I do appreciate Andrew Western's speedy response.

This bit about a ‘routine visit’ is the thing I don’t really buy. As we all know the spectating facilities at the ground have not fundamentally altered for about 20-25 years. Very much what has changed and why now I would want to know off Trafford. Why has this sudden sense of urgency and panic set in at the council?

RolfGoad

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2021, 10:15:40 AM »

There was an open building site in the corner where the fanzone is ‘being built’, with people expected to walk through it to access the popular side. I reckon that was enough to start the ball rolling. Why that led to the whole golf road end needing shutting, I’ve no idea (unless the inspector noticed that the walls could fall off)

nimeta

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2021, 10:38:52 AM »

I wonder what the Trafford BC SAG (Safety Advisory Group) would make of Moss Lane in 1936?

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/physical-training-1/query/altrincham

In those days, if you tripped over at a football match you got up and continued to watch the game.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2021, 01:35:33 PM »

Why that led to the whole golf road end needing shutting, I’ve no idea

Once inspectors attend a site due to a potential safety issue, they quite naturally start sniffing around and looking for other things. The worrying thing for me is that once an area has been deemed unsafe, it would require a very brave individual indeed to allow it to reopen unless the proper remedial work has taken place and been inspected. My fear, now this can of worms has been opened, is that it could potentially be a very long time and a whole lot of £££ before we are operating at anything like full capacity again. Whoever started this sh*tstorm knew that this would be the case.

Come on Alty!

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2021, 02:44:56 PM »

Firstly, I'm relieved that the 'traitor within our midst' 'name and shame' post that appears on another thread seems to have lost momentum.  Whether someone who lives locally has complained I cannot say, but I very much doubt the self-scuppering theory has much evidence to support it.

Looking at the hard facts of this, it seems reasonable to suppose that the increased attendance figures we've enjoyed recently were sufficient to prompt the return visit of a safety officer.  If they have then identified safety issues that need addressing, then whether we like it or not, they are right to insist such issues are dealt with and to impose restrictions in the meantime (for all we know recommendations made in the past may have been overlooked or 'put to one side').  Having said that, I do think that the discrepancy between the max and min capacity figures does need explaining, as it represents a very significant difference and begs the question: 'what did the second visit identify, that the first visit didn't?'.  In any event, such a difference should have first been discussed within the confines of TBC's Planning/Safety offices, and once justified, with members of our Board, before any action was taken.

I fear given the speed with which these changes have come about, that either has happened.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 02:50:38 PM by Mrs Trellis »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ground safety work