PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ground safety work
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: ground safety work  (Read 44094 times)

salealty

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
Re: ground safety work
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2021, 03:22:32 PM »

Unfortunately whether we like it or not we're in a position of a massively reduced capacity for the foreseeable future.  The question is how do we move forward?

The way I see it we have two options

1. Patch up what we've got
2. Start on the proposed ground redevelopment based on the design that was circulated previously

Obviously either approach needs financing it's more of a question of how much.

I'd rather have us play with a reduced capacity than hitting the national headlines for an incident where supporters have been injured.

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2021, 04:09:36 PM »

Unfortunately whether we like it or not we're in a position of a massively reduced capacity for the foreseeable future.  The question is how do we move forward?

2. Start on the proposed ground redevelopment based on the design that was circulated previously

I'd rather have us play with a reduced capacity than hitting the national headlines for an incident where supporters have been injured.

If the fanzone is anything to go by, the proposed ground redevelopment will be a shambles

Strong summer needed

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2021, 04:35:22 PM »

#rowleyout

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2021, 05:01:08 PM »

To go ahead with any new build planning permission will be required (think months)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2021, 06:24:34 PM »

If the fanzone is anything to go by, the proposed ground redevelopment will be a shambles

I don't know what I was expecting (probably something resembling the artist's impressions we were given), but I remember seeing it for the first time and thinking 'WTF?' - I don't have a particularly creative mind, so hopefully once it all hangs together it'll look OK. Not the sort of thing that looks great if done on the cheap.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2021, 06:53:13 PM »

I don't know what I was expecting (probably something resembling the artist's impressions we were given), but I remember seeing it for the first time and thinking 'WTF?' - I don't have a particularly creative mind, so hopefully once it all hangs together it'll look OK. Not the sort of thing that looks great if done on the cheap.

Nice video, shame about the eyesore:

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/news/altrincham-fc-define-architects-and-libero-launch-the-fan-zone

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2021, 07:34:13 PM »

I think that Trafford have looked out our big increases in gates, and decided to do a safety check accordingly. They may have reduced capacity prior to the check, then reduced it again on further investigation.

All the increased support has led to this, but the club are playing good football since Phil, Neil and their squad arrived, and the council are probrably just doing their job. Lessons were learnt at Hillsborough and other grounds, and responsibility falls within the borough council and the club. If someone was injured, or worse still killed, both of these would be liable.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2021, 11:15:37 PM »

Steve's comment above is probably somewhere near the mark. As a Building Control Surveyor of 35 years I know how these things work. The Local Authority are responsible for the designated stadia in their area, and would normally inspect a number of times a year, including during performance inspections (when a match is on). Now it is quite possible that we were left relatively alone while our gates hovered around a 1200 average, with a smaller median as the average is bumped up by the bigger games. Our bigger gates will not have gone unnoticed and I would expect, have generated the need for a fuller inspection. It is not just the facilities, it is how we manage the event, stewarding, announcements, crowd control etc. were they at the Solihull game when that pillock ran on? They will certainly know about it.
As it is usually Building Control who do SASG (not always, they could use consultants), but BC will be inspecting the Fans Zone; did the visiting Surveyor notice things and pass it on? He would have a duty to if concerned.
If there are trip hazards on the terracing then it is dangerous, a different matter to street potholes. Persons falling suddenly amongst a crowd say celebrating a goal will cause others to fall over them too, it could lead to a serious incident. As for structural concerns obviously they would need to be assessed very closely, that might be from a follow up visit with a qualified Structural Engineer, hence the second reduction. That's usually how it would work. All speculation obviously but it would follow logically.
The ground is very tired and the only real surprise to me is that we got away with this condition for as long as we did.
I do however not understand how we were awarded the larger capacity last year, it doesn't stack up at all.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2021, 11:28:44 PM »

What I surmise may be the trip hazard at the Golf Road / Pop Side Junction has existed since I was Safety Officer.

The parlous state of Golf Road Terracing, in places, and the external wall, I would imagine may be related to the trees growing between the two and regularly cut back, possibly at the behest of the Highways Inspectors

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2021, 11:54:25 PM »

As a professional in the area, SW will know more about this in general than me, but the reply I had from Trafford does say that the revisit on Saturday highlighted problems with the "stewarding and management of the ground" while there was a reduced capacity rather than further structural problems. It was written before the reduction to 1390 capacity was announced,

It also said that Trafford were "keen to support the club to get the necessary measures completed in time for some big games over the Christmas holiday period." Let's hope they are.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2021, 12:16:54 AM »

Point taken on 'trip hazards' and potential for a serious incident as a result. However someone could trip if their shoelaces are untied for example causing the same incident with same severity. Ditto someone who has had a few pints
Of course eliminating trip hazards reduces risk, but by no means prevents it. Hence my scepticism with all the H&S overkill in terms of what constitutes a serious hazard. Unless we ban shoelaces and beer from the ground, then the risk of 'serious incidents' remains, albeit slightly less risk than that created by uneven flags... ::)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 12:20:00 AM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

RolfGoad

« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2021, 12:29:11 AM »

The club doesn’t have control over shoelaces, they do face control over the ground.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2021, 01:39:39 AM »

The club doesn’t have control over shoelaces, they do face control over the ground.
Exactly......a lot of it is about indemnity from blame and not necessarily about prevention.....you can fall and hurt yourself as long as the fall is your own fault

Let's hope it gets sorted soon and TMBC are only concerned with the significant issues where risk is real and we are not being unduly held to ransom
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 01:49:18 AM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2021, 06:40:18 PM »

Just as a point of interest as I wasn’t able to be at Moss Lane last Tuesday, were the radio Robins and Alty TV crew allowed in the popular side gantry to cover the match.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2021, 06:51:41 PM »

Just as a point of interest as I wasn’t able to be at Moss Lane last Tuesday, were the radio Robins and Alty TV crew allowed in the popular side gantry to cover the match.

Yes but they were using a ladder up rather than the stairs which looked even more dangerous
It's all my fault.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ground safety work