News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 1978 team v 1991 team

Author Topic: 1978 team v 1991 team  (Read 2702 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
1978 team v 1991 team
« on: July 17, 2007, 04:28:02 PM »

Ballers,

On another thread, you asked me for my reflections on this comparison of two fine Alty sides, so, here goes...

My judgment is based on the following line-ups:

Eales, Allan, Crossley, Bailey, Owens, King, Morris, Heathcote, Johnson, Rogers, Davison. Sub: Flaherty.

Wealands, Reid, Wiggins, Rowlands, Miller, Anderson, Shaw, Daws, Brady, McKenna, Showler. Sub: Hughes.

Any Robins supporter who was fortunate enough to witness the 1990/91 season will have some marvellous memories of a team that played some of the best football I have ever seen from an Alty side.   
Alas, one season together was all we got.....and, unlike their 1978 counterparts, they did not win anything.

That 1978 team formed the nucleus of the great Alty side that went on to give us five seasons of tremendous memories, FA Cup runs and a few trophies along the way.

If pressed to pick a team from both those squads, I would do a bit of tactical reshuffling (i.e. move Davison back to left full back from midfield and relocate Jeff Johnson in midfield) and nominate the following line-up:

Wealands, Allan, Davison, Bailey, Owens, King, Heathcote, Johnson, McKenna, Rogers, Showler. Sub: Anderson.

Any thoughts?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: 1978 team v 1991 team
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 06:21:11 PM »

Thoughts....Christ that's some team!

I'm hamstrung by only having seen the 91 side. i find it hard to believe there have been more committed determined leaders than Paul Rowlands that year. I should imagine Mal Bailey was of similar ilk. If you judge him to be better I'll take your word for it. Otherwise the Rowlo and cultured Owens partnership would sound good.

It seems strange that none of the midfield from 91 would get a gig. For me Nicky Daws has to be involved. I would be inclined to do a slight reshuffle. Dawsy right midfield, Jeff Johnson pushed up in place of John Rodgers. I remember Johnson as a striker anyway but never saw Rodgers.

Having said that I find it hard to doubt Bailey and Rodgers place in the team. And as ATS said elsewhere, I'll let you break the news to them  ;)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 07:17:45 PM »

I have to agree with Ballers that for my money Nick Daws playing as he was in that season would be worth a place in any Alty side whatever the era.

Therefore probably go with a 4-3-3

Wealands (GK)

Allan (RB)
Davison(LB)
Bailey (CB)
Owens (CB)

Daws(MF)
King(MF)
Heathcote(MF)

Showler(Left Attacker)
McKenna(Central Attacker)
Johnson (Right Attacker)

Change of sub for me though and after some thought I'd plump for Nigel Shaw's versatility over that of the late, great Ivan Crossley

All a matter of opinions I know

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 08:07:31 PM »

ATS,

Nigel Shaw's versatility would certainly be invaluable in the event of Jeff Wealands getting injured!

Anyone else remember him playing one game at Moss Lane in goal during the ill-fated managerial reign of Stan Allan?

I opted for Gary Anderson as sub because of his ability to contribute a double figures goals tally each season from midfield (just the sort of midfielder we could do with now, in fact!).

Oh, and just imagine how John Rogers would have thrived on a supply of crosses from Showler....

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 08:11:34 PM »

Thoughts....Christ that's some team!

I'm hamstrung by only having seen the 91 side. i find it hard to believe there have been more committed determined leaders than Paul Rowlands that year. I should imagine Mal Bailey was of similar ilk. If you judge him to be better I'll take your word for it. Otherwise the Rowlo and cultured Owens partnership would sound good.

It seems strange that none of the midfield from 91 would get a gig. For me Nicky Daws has to be involved. I would be inclined to do a slight reshuffle. Dawsy right midfield, Jeff Johnson pushed up in place of John Rodgers. I remember Johnson as a striker anyway but never saw Rodgers.

Having said that I find it hard to doubt Bailey and Rodgers place in the team. And as ATS said elsewhere, I'll let you break the news to them  ;)

Ballers,

As I once was a central defender in my youth, Mal Bailey was always one of my Moss Lane idols....particularly after his headed goal at Runcorn in the 1978 FA Trophy semi-final second leg!

I even forgave him when he adopted that horrendous perm.....

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 10:23:22 PM »

I opted for Gary Anderson as sub because of his ability to contribute a double figures goals tally each season from midfield (just the sort of midfielder we could do with now, in fact!).

Well, that 91 season was remarkble for the amount of players who did get into double figures. McKenna, Brady, Hughes, Showler, Daws, Shaw and Rowlands if I remember correctly. Ironically, I think Anderson contributed 8 although he did only return to the foldin a 3-0 win at home to Cheltenham (in which he may have scored) in October/November at which point we really clicked.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 10:31:32 PM »

If pressed to pick a team from both those squads, I would do a bit of tactical reshuffling (i.e. move Davison back to left full back from midfield and relocate Jeff Johnson in midfield) and nominate the following line-up:

Wealands, Allan, Davison, Bailey, Owens, King, Heathcote, Johnson, McKenna, Rogers, Showler. Sub: Anderson.

Any thoughts?

Daws has to be in
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 1978 team v 1991 team