https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team

Author Topic: 3683  (Read 4637 times)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: October 26, 2021, 09:45:16 PM »

Biggest crowd since Guiseley play off . Biggest league crowd since ? Biggest midweek crowd since ?Obviouly the £5.00 entrance has helped

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: 3683
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 10:41:59 PM »

Great gate, fantastic idea to make it such a great deal.

A message to the cock-womble that came on the pitch towards the end. You're a pathetic cock-womble.

Randy Konk

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 10:46:44 PM »

A message to the cock-womble that came on the pitch towards the end. You're a pathetic cock-womble.

Brilliant attendance. Strangely lacking in atmosphere tonight despite the large crowd..

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 10:50:07 PM »

Brilliant attendance. Strangely lacking in atmosphere tonight despite the large crowd..

Helps if we all sing. I thought it was pretty decent.
It's all my fault.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 03:07:46 AM »

Biggest crowd since that Barnet match? Went down as 3,000, but I think it's fairly well established that the real crowd was 4,501. As for midweek league matches - goodness knows. I'm guessing biggest since the 60's?

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 08:25:04 AM »

Fantastic to see this promotion  and a testament to the people behind the scenes that made it happen these events should be done 3 times a season and well promoted , a great way of getting locals in for a look and capture a few more regulars. 👏

andrewflynn

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 08:27:04 AM »

That was a phenomenal attendance last night and for a crowd that was naturally inflated by floating fans I still felt quite at home on the Golf Road End, which was nice.

Hats off to all involved for the awareness around last night and I’m glad you got your rewards with a big crowd. I actually thought as a club we managed the attendance as well as could be expected.

It would be great if we could stop cars from parking directly outside of the Golf Road turnstile. It blocks two potential routes to the inner two gates. I’m not ashamed to say I walked straight past the queues to try my luck on this I and found two completely unused turnstiles that no one was being directed to; one was cash only but the other was tickets. Small improvement that would no doubt get people in a bit quicker. Herd mentality means everyone will join the queue they see, especially if they don’t have the knowledge that comes with going every week.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 08:41:29 AM »

Imagine when we did this offer the club thought we might push 2000ish so hats off for the Board for coming up with this initiative and getting a big reward.

In terms of logistics I got in about 710 and was scanned in within 2 minutes so big queues yes but with e-ticketing they do go down very quickly. Also managed to get a pint in the CSH before KO but queues in their were huge. We really do need to get the fan zone sorted out ASAP as one bar is no longer enough for our attendances. Stewards trying to clear people stood against the pitch side barriers on the Pop Side was an odd one as just made the walkways more crowded, in the end I think they rightly gave up. In the second half I was stood near the lad who invaded the pitch, goaded on by his mates. With bigger crowds you are going to risk stuff like this, I think the stewards did right in not chasing him round the pitch which would have been what he wanted and prolonged it.

One random thought I did have when the ground is that crowded and we have 123 away fans stood on a terrace that holds 1000, could it be worth exploring could we divide the Chequers in half and for any away team with a smaller following we get half of the Chequers nearest the Pop Side corner. Probably a whole host of reasons not but worth floating maybe.

andrewflynn

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 09:49:54 AM »

Friend of mine just made a good suggestion re. bar queues. Potentially cap it at a max of 4 pints per order. Stops people tagging on to their mates' order when they're further up the queue and they end up buying 10+.

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 01:20:45 PM »

Before we all get carried away with the huge attendance at last night's game, there are a few points of concern that need addressing.

While the total attendance was massive for a fixture of this kind, the amount of cash generated through gate receipts will be far more modest given the incentives to encourage attendance.  Granted the bar takings will have been good, but the bar always seems to get busy, and you can only generate sales at the speed you can pull pints.

From my POV, I thought the atmosphere was poor and, if I'm honest, I didn't enjoy the evening very much at all.

If the Club decides to run with this idea again, I'd suggest they consider alternatives such as:
one match where season ticket holders are given a freebie to pass on,
one match where <12s come free and parent only pays a fiver
etc.

Realise I may be a lone voice, but I don't think that one-off large attendances are the be-all-and-end-all, if the experience is not as good as it could be.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 03:38:00 PM »

Before we all get carried away with the huge attendance at last night's game, there are a few points of concern that need addressing.

While the total attendance was massive for a fixture of this kind, the amount of cash generated through gate receipts will be far more modest given the incentives to encourage attendance.  Granted the bar takings will have been good, but the bar always seems to get busy, and you can only generate sales at the speed you can pull pints.

From my POV, I thought the atmosphere was poor and, if I'm honest, I didn't enjoy the evening very much at all.

If the Club decides to run with this idea again, I'd suggest they consider alternatives such as:
etc.

Realise I may be a lone voice, but I don't think that one-off large attendances are the be-all-and-end-all, if the experience is not as good as it could be.

As a self-confessed curmudgeon, I'll endorse your observations.

I also sensed that the atmosphere last night was somewhat subdued.

As a friend has just texted me: "The whole experience last night wasn't about football, as we were all part of an advertisement which didn't really pan out as we had hoped.

I didn't enjoy the spectacle from a football and crowd perspective. It was like having a crowd of people talking in a room whilst you were trying to watch a good Nordic noir drama."
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 03:48:30 PM »

etc.

At the end of the day, nobody would be expecting us to make loads of money when it was either a fiver or free to get in.  There were certainly logistical issues to be addressed and the lack of stewarding presence when that idiot invaded the pitch was concerning.

For me it was brilliant exposure, made more and more people aware of the club and for me and I daresay lots of other fans it fantastic to see an attendance if that size.. If anyone had said to me a few years ago we'd get 3,600 at home on a Tuesday night against Solihull I'd not have predicted it for a second.

Not a perfect night but the good easily outweighed the bad.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 04:20:42 PM »

etc.

I'd agree with this too. Although, counting out the regular 1100-1200 we might ordinarily get that's almost an extra 2500. If even 100 of those became semi regular supporters it's been a success in my opinion. Wouldn't want it quite like that every week, though.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 04:51:12 PM »

etc.

As a self-confessed curmudgeon, I'll endorse your observations.

I also sensed that the atmosphere last night was somewhat subdued.

As a friend has just texted me: "The whole experience last night wasn't about football, as we were all part of an advertisement which didn't really pan out as we had hoped.

I didn't enjoy the spectacle from a football and crowd perspective. It was like having a crowd of people talking in a room whilst you were trying to watch a good Nordic noir drama."

For me whilst the positives on last night in terms of growing our Fanbase outweigh the negatives I do have some sympathy for this. Last night very much reminded me of a Saturday home game for Dulwich Hamlet, who often get way north of 2000 in a ground that is much smaller than ours. It’s been described as ‘South London’s largest beer garden’ and most of the crowd appear to be there to drink the craft ale, eat the street food and would be hard pressed to name a single Dulwich player. I’m not saying we are anywhere near that bad but as the club grows we want to try and turn people into the kind who will attend away games, buy merchandise and become committed fans, as well as get to know and even join in with the songs and chants.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 05:04:27 PM »

The game of football must be the prime reason for good attendance. Yes more people through the turnstiles does equate to a bigger revenue when everybody pays the going rate.

The sad part of last night was due to COVID and injury’s the club weren’t able to show the non regular fans what this team can undoubtedly achieve.

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team