PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Phil Parkinson
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Phil Parkinson  (Read 7820 times)

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Phil Parkinson
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2021, 11:16:56 AM »

Phil, Neil and the rest of the team are doing well, but he's still unproven at this level, he's learning still, and currently on an upward curve. Hopefully he'll keep learning and get us ultimately where we want to be, promoted and win the FA trophy again.

What will be, will be.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2021, 11:27:52 AM »

As I said tonight as long as Phil doesn't get ideas above his stations going got a glamorous Jon and the board don't get too fixated on Phil the god, we're on to a good thing here and both can grow together.

All I wanted was to be competitive in every game at conference level, right now we are. Long may it continue.

I think this can be loosely translated as “please never leave us, Phil”

I'm not fussed if Phil leaves us, he will eventually. But I hope he doesn't leave us for a short term punt on turning Stockport in to title challengers.

Likewise, the board can't stand still as when we hit out bad form, or allow the sqaud and team to dictate or get sloppy.

As Bill said last night, we're entering a very exciting part of a journey.
It's all my fault.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2021, 12:21:59 AM »

If Stockport were going to go for someone like Phil, I suspect they wouldn't have got the Brighton youth manager (or whoever it was). In the past, non-league managers have found it hard to get a job at a football league club. If he did manage to get us into the FL, that would put him in a stronger position to get a job at a third division club or whatever. I'd like to think he will want to stay for now and try and take this club further while that is a realistic possibility, though I remember one preview of the season mentioning him leaving the club as a potential problem for us. One thing's for sure, success gets you talked about.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2021, 10:10:47 AM »

Always worried that someone like York would come in for him tbh, but they've recovered after a bad start thankfully. Halifax would be another obvious one, but they are doing well. I think we're ok for now.

The biggest dangers are the sleeping giants at this level, given he's getting to know the division well and would smash it with even bigger backing (like when we took him ourselves).

andrewflynn

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2021, 01:16:19 PM »

For the work they have done so far and the plaudits they are receiving, Phil and Neil will undoubtedly and quite rightly be on strategic 'forward planning' shortlists for a lot of clubs at our level, and probably the level above. I don't see how they can't be. This is why they're so well looked after here. The contract lengths took a wee bit of stick but if they were due to expire next May then we would be really open to a poaching scenario. As it is though they are secured here and that will factor into other clubs' thinking, I'm sure.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2021, 01:35:23 PM »

For the work they have done so far and the plaudits they are receiving, Phil and Neil will undoubtedly and quite rightly be on strategic 'forward planning' shortlists for a lot of clubs at our level, and probably the level above. I don't see how they can't be. This is why they're so well looked after here. The contract lengths took a wee bit of stick but if they were due to expire next May then we would be really open to a poaching scenario. As it is though they are secured here and that will factor into other clubs' thinking, I'm sure.

A contract in footy is worth less than in most industries. The key to keeping PP and NS is for the board to match their ambitions for themselves and the club. I am sure they want a crack at a league club, let's make that club Alty.

andrewflynn

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2021, 02:31:22 PM »

A contract in footy is worth less than in most industries. The key to keeping PP and NS is for the board to match their ambitions for themselves and the club. I am sure they want a crack at a league club, let's make that club Alty.

I agree with you on that. What I'm saying is they'll fall some way down those shortlists because they aren't an easy buyout, and that's part of the reason they were extended for such a large period of time I'd imagine.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2021, 02:49:21 PM »

The grass has always been greener on the other side. Settled, both Phil and Neil are both enjoying the rewards from their role. How many managers have gone onto better things by taking higher profile jobs then failing. I honestly feel the red and white of Alty and what we have planned has seeped into Phil's soul, together with the Alty family vibe. Why walk away when settled for such a big risk in football. How many managers have fallen by the wayside and lived to regret it.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2021, 04:18:41 PM »

I think the work that Phil and Neil have done since taking over has been incredible so they deserve all the plaudits they're getting. I'm speculating, as we all are, that they wouldn't take a job in the league below if it were offered and perhaps in our league too even if it were a Stockport or Notts County but it's hard to say. "Unfortunately", they're doing such a good job with us that it's bound to catch the attention of the wider footballing community.

As Andrew says, they're well looked after and should have long contracts with us. They fully deserve them and it does definitely help when the inevitable happens and other clubs come looking.

Phil often mentions he never looks into the past and is always looking forward, so all we can do is make sure that he's provided the resources and support here to be able to do that, and keep us pushing as high as we can possibly go. He's building something very special here with Neil. Long may it continue.

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2021, 04:21:15 PM »

The Toon may be looking soon! SBL ;) ;)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2021, 11:27:39 PM »

Poisoned chalice 👎

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2021, 09:17:12 AM »

Poisoned chalice 👎

The Toons biggest challenge will be attracting the big names to want to play up there.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2021, 01:53:27 PM »

I think I'm probably out of kilter with most on this forum, but their most sensible appointment would be at this level, to a big fish that has the infrastructure in place to be a League One club. That's exactly what we were, two levels down, when we poached them from Nantwich. We're now the 'Nantwich', sadly.

I think they're sensible enough to know time is on their side, and a jump to a League Two (or even League One) club wouldn't be wise with no prior knowledge of the level.

So at this level, it would be Wrexham / Stockport / Notts / Grimsby / Chesterfield - or a team coming down from league Two at the end of the season.

What's encouraging is that we're 9th in the average attendance list and certainly growing in stature as a club. Credit not just to the management team, but everyone behind the scenes that has embarked on this journey with us and now helping us reap the rewards.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Phil Parkinson