PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cheer yourself up - Watch this
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cheer yourself up - Watch this  (Read 6500 times)

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Cheer yourself up - Watch this
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 03:11:04 PM »

Can't beat a bit of schadenfreude,  and Chester's defence is pretty woeful, but it should be noted that Marske's record in the league two grades below Chester is 7 wins and a lone defeat, scoring 22 goals (2.5 per game !) and conceding only 2. They're obviously useful.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 07:55:21 PM »

Salty alty
ParkINson's red and white army

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 07:58:12 PM »

That will have hurt.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 11:48:58 PM »

On a side note, I'm glad to see that they've finally sorted step 4 out for this season, allowing teams to progress from the Northern League on a regular basis. The ones which have come up such as Marske mostly seem to be doing quite well and getting fairly decent crowds  - and on Saturday, Ashington (who I was slightly surprised to read used to be in the same league as us) got a bigger crowd than any team in the league above, and you've got Spennymoor Town now getting more than Darlington!. Hopefully this will strengthen the non-league game in the North of England going forward and allow more Northern League clubs to progress through to the National League in the future. Worth remembering Morpeth, who we played a few years ago, got the 4th biggest crowds in the NPL in 2019-20.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 09:45:34 AM »

On a side note, I'm glad to see that they've finally sorted step 4 out for this season, allowing teams to progress from the Northern League on a regular basis. The ones which have come up such as Marske mostly seem to be doing quite well and getting fairly decent crowds  - and on Saturday, Ashington (who I was slightly surprised to read used to be in the same league as us) got a bigger crowd than any team in the league above, and you've got Spennymoor Town now getting more than Darlington!. Hopefully this will strengthen the non-league game in the North of England going forward and allow more Northern League clubs to progress through to the National League in the future. Worth remembering Morpeth, who we played a few years ago, got the 4th biggest crowds in the NPL in 2019-20.

First year of the NPL! I was on that coach trip to Ashington. Happy days!
Took a while for the coach to find the ground. The overall impression of the place was that it was an absolute dump but still glorying in being the birthplace of the Charlton brothers.
It must have improved a heck of a lot since then, surely.
PS. It was over 50 years ago (1968, I think?) so they've had plenty of time to improve. 😉🤣🤣
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 10:18:56 AM »

Took a while for the coach to find the ground. The overall impression of the place was that it was an absolute dump but still glorying in being the birthplace of the Charlton brothers.
PS. It was over 50 years ago (1968, I think?) so they've had plenty of time to improve. 😉🤣🤣

Our most Northerly competitive fixture ever, I think I'm right in saying.

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 07:32:49 PM »

I have some outlaws that live in Ashington and let me assure you the place is still a complete sh*t tip, still revelling in their mining past and the mining museum is the biggest draw in the area.
FFS

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 08:20:17 PM »

I remember the coach driver asking a local where the ground was. We were directed to turn right at the cross road and head towards the river down a dead end road. We passed a massive scrap yard on our left and it was only when we reached the end of the road and had to do a three point turn that we realised it was the ground!
The main stand was a cross between a small cricket pavilion and granny clampetts bungalow with a veranda on the front serving as a sort of directors area. I think it was furnished with picnic chairs. The far end of the ground was a sort of car park in that people drove in and parked on the slope facing the pitch watching the match from their vehicles.
A shocking ground.

PS. Just checked on Wikipedia and they've moved out of that ground, portland park, in 2008. Can't say I'm surprised 🤨
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 08:26:20 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 09:21:24 PM »

Didn't Steve Harmison (ex-England cricketer) have a spell as manager at Ashington?
Full time and proud of it

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 09:52:51 PM »

Yes. 2015 - 2017 I believe.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 11:40:57 PM »

Our most Northerly competitive fixture ever, I think I'm right in saying.

I am sure you are right, and at a former Football League ground, too, not that you might think so from the descriptions on here.

I am less positive, but I can't remember us even playing a friendly north of Ashington either.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2021, 02:03:47 AM »

Surely it must be our most Northerly competitive fixture ever, unless we played at Alnwick or possibly Morpeth  - probably unlikely with the way the Cup and Trophy are set up in the early stages.

It sounds like Ashington getting into the League was approximately equivalent to Mossley getting into the league - which of course presumably would have happened in 1979 if they had had the same ground grading rules as when Ashington got in (and automatic promotion).

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2021, 09:09:23 AM »

My internet tells me that Ashington is 55.18316° N, Workington is 54.636936° N and Tow Law is 54.748795° N.

Ashington will take some beating.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 12:57:10 PM »

My second Alty game was when we beat them 6-0 in 1969. I believe it was Good Friday, almost certain that it was Easter weekend. I stood on the grass bank where the CSH is now.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cheer yourself up - Watch this