PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fuel nonsense
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fuel nonsense  (Read 6565 times)

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel nonsense
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 06:48:34 PM »

Think he's referring to people of our age group either having no mortgage or having bought their home for £5k.
Could be wrong though?

He is.

One thing the media (and the Government) love to do is create division between social classes and age groups (the 'culture wars') to distract from their own ineptitude.

Young people take an absolute battering but find themselves in lots of debt and unable to get on the housing market, it's really tough for them.

With regard to the fuel crisis - well, the sooner the media give in and actually mention the 'B' word, the better.  It's been an utter disaster.

Well said Marple Alty!

Yup.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 07:10:36 PM »

The original leak about fuel shortages (due to driver shortages) was from the haulier's association who want the return of cheap foreign drivers to keep the wages down.
Kind of true, kind of not. Drivers have been short for a great number of years, people like Gregory distribution started apprenticeship schemes due to the fears over the ageing workforce. It's been quite well paid for a number of years because of this. So yeah the foreign labour is cheaper, but they also charge a big premium to drive for companies over in the UK.

It's also not the greatest job, you do a lot of living and working in a small cab and away from home, long gone are the days where you could do a couple of extra hours to get home, if you run out of hours you are done working for at least 8 I think. Digital tachometers put paid to that.

The RHA have been looking for ways to highlight this issue for nearly 10 years, it just turns out that other external influences have allowed for it to become an issue now.

Anyway, thanks for coming to my ted talk

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 07:39:21 PM »

The original leak about fuel shortages (due to driver shortages) was from the haulier's association who want the return of cheap foreign drivers to keep the wages down.
Kind of true, kind of not. Drivers have been short for a great number of years, people like Gregory distribution started apprenticeship schemes due to the fears over the ageing workforce. It's been quite well paid for a number of years because of this. So yeah the foreign labour is cheaper, but they also charge a big premium to drive for companies over in the UK.

It's also not the greatest job, you do a lot of living and working in a small cab and away from home, long gone are the days where you could do a couple of extra hours to get home, if you run out of hours you are done working for at least 8 I think. Digital tachometers put paid to that.

The RHA have been looking for ways to highlight this issue for nearly 10 years, it just turns out that other external influences have allowed for it to become an issue now.

Anyway, thanks for coming to my ted talk

Aye, if they looked after the drivers better they might keep them and tempt some more.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2021, 08:29:33 PM »

Bognor v leatherhead and Ashfield v Hastings both OFF due to fuel shortages. What a load of rubbish

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58712719

All because of nonsense.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2021, 09:36:22 PM »

Can we have a separate panic buying page along with the covid one please ?? 😂😂
ParkINson's red and white army

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2021, 09:36:50 PM »

Think he's referring to people of our age group either having no mortgage or having bought their home for £5k.
Could be wrong though?

He is.

One thing the media (and the Government) love to do is create division between social classes and age groups (the 'culture wars') to distract from their own ineptitude.

Young people take an absolute battering but find themselves in lots of debt and unable to get on the housing market, it's really tough for them.

With regard to the fuel crisis - well, the sooner the media give in and actually mention the 'B' word, the better.  It's been an utter disaster.
Brighton and Hove Albion ?
ParkINson's red and white army

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2021, 02:27:14 AM »

I think I know which word he means... and it's not Belarus!

We haven't had the best of luck with KL have we? Even if it goes ahead,  this,  or the weather, could hit the crowd - and we're up against the CL again. I'll be very surprised if we get over 1,000 - I'll be happy with 800, to be honest.

As for houses - I remember once at a pub in Nailsworth (we were refusing to use Green Grass's social at the time), a local yokel was "playing" on the fruit machine, just tapping the buttons without putting any money in. Ecky (God  rest him) joked that if he played the fruit machine like that, he could afford a house in Hale!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 05:52:40 AM by Hugh »

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2021, 05:59:41 AM »

Can we have a separate panic buying page along with the covid one please ?? 😂😂

Good old politics - it always finds its way back onto here sooner or later doesn't it, despite my best efforts! Chester "City" seem to have a properly functioning OT section on their forum, but nobody bothers here, at least not since June.

Now then,  tell me the story about Jim and Don watching on a roof at the Drill Field. I'll be impressed if you can tell me the score that day...
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fuel nonsense