Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Torquay Away - who would you pick to start?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Torquay Away - who would you pick to start?  (Read 6659 times)

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« on: August 14, 2021, 02:17:11 PM »

So, the final pre-season game ends with an Alty 3-1 away at Huddersfield B...

We should now be in a position to know our starting line up for the league opener next weekend, but to be honest i'm none the wiser really - i hope Parky knows his starting XI if all fit...

NB Hampson & White (plus assume Dens still) are all injured so guess means Fitzpatrick will start LB...

Not really seen anything of new CB Digie or Brad Jackson... also still not sure if we've found a replacement for Smithy... will Pringle fill the void or Kirby? Not sure where Hancock will fit in in new system & what system will be eg 4,4,2... 4,3,3... 4,2,3,1 etc... also have horrible feeling Colclough (certain starter) may leave before season ko as EFL clubs hovering now has all clear from court case & not played last few games as if something going on (if goes like Hulmey did on eve of season think he's still got 12mth contract so should get fee but then hard to replace)... new players Fitzpatrick, Dinanga, Leitch-Smith, Pringle all seem ok... also two more trialists played today... just need to get an XI together who can hopefully gel & build from there...

At present, i personally think Team will be...

TT
Senior     Mullarkey   Hannigan   Fitzpatrick
            Pringle     Moult    Kirby (or Colclough if still here)
            Kosylo    Dinanga   Mooney

Subs: Sutton, Williams, Hancock, Peers, Leitch-Smith

Alternatively, maybe...

TT
Senior   Mullarkey   Hannigan   Fitzpatrick
                     Moult   Kirby
                         Hancock
           Kosylo   Dinanga   Mooney

Basically, i just don't know who we'll start with around midfield area...

Any thoughts from other Alty fans??? Who would you start with???

COYR!
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Torquay Away - who would you pick to start?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 02:39:55 PM »

I wonder if todays trialists could be offered deals ?

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 04:08:27 PM »

The two trialists apparently were...

Joe Bunney (27) started at CB but switched to LB at H/T when Fitzpatrick was subbed... Bunney was at Hartlepool last season (prev clubs include Lancaster, Kendal, Stockport, Northwich, Rochdale, Bolton,  Matlock, Grimsby...

Dean Furman (33) started on the bench, & is a South African international midfielder, who was previously at Carlisle. He apparently recently turned down the chance to rejoin Oldham Athletic... he came on at H/T...

Maybe Parky will offer one or both deals...

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 04:09:01 PM »

Like the 4-3-3 idea personally but can see it being 4-2-3-1 as last season.
The former would seem to give us a better presence in the middle, more protection for the back four, and three mobile and talented attackers to worry the opposition.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 04:09:50 PM »

Colclough has been unwell and will be back in training this week. What's happened to Brad Jackson?

Assuming Dinanga might start up front and that it'll probably be a 4231, he can only pick two of Hancock, Kosylo and Mooney which will be quite interesting.

Toss up between Kirby and Pringle to start alongside Jake, would be keen to hear how Kirby got on today.

Looks like the back four picks itself at the moment.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 04:12:20 PM »

The two trialists apparently were...

Joe Bunney (27) started at CB but switched to LB at H/T when Fitzpatrick was subbed... Bunney was at Hartlepool last season (prev clubs include Lancaster, Kendal, Stockport, Northwich, Rochdale, Bolton,  Matlock, Grimsby...

Dean Furman (33) started on the bench, & is a South African international midfielder, who was previously at Carlisle. He apparently recently turned down the chance to rejoin Oldham Athletic... he came on at H/T...

Maybe Parky will offer one or both deals...

Joe Bunney's an interesting one; doesn't look like a footballer at all (has the build of Peter Crouch!), started out as a left winger but later converted to left back. Got a decent left foot.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 04:12:32 PM »

I'd be a little wary of making an offer to the guy who played CB/LB, as at 27 years of age he's had 9 clubs. His most recent employers showed him the door after he ended up in hospital following a match - they alleged that he hadn't disclosed "a pre-existing medical problem" when he signed for them.

The 33 year old guy who played the second half in midfield has a very interesting history, but has apparently already rejected an offer from a League 2 club. I suspect our budget won't stretch to signing him - a pity because he seemed to be very impressive according to RR.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 04:16:47 PM »

I'd be a little wary of making an offer to the guy who played CB/LB, as at 27 years of age he's had 9 clubs. His most recent employers showed him the door after he ended up in hospital following a match - they alleged that he hadn't disclosed "a pre-existing medical problem" when he signed for them.

The 33 year old guy who played the second half in midfield has a very interesting history, but has apparently already rejected an offer from a League 2 club. I suspect our budget won't stretch to signing him - a pity because he seemed to be very impressive according to RR.

His situation seems a bit bizarre - turned down a deal at Oldham because he thought he could get better - now finds himself on trial with us? Poorly advised by his agent perhaps?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 05:14:01 PM »

His situation seems a bit bizarre - turned down a deal at Oldham because he thought he could get better - now finds himself on trial with us? Poorly advised by his agent perhaps?

We ARE better than Oldham! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 05:37:38 PM »

I'd love to play 4-3-3 as it lets us get better footballers on the pitch.

it will be a 4-2-3-1
Full time and proud of it

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 08:27:52 PM »

A bit more investigation re Joe Bunney suggests it was a knee injury at Grimsby that eventually did for him there, don’t know what the dramatic hospital references by his then manager are about. If we are seriously interested in him I’d have assumed it’ll be pay as you play, he made over 100 appearances for Rochdale in the FL so must have something about him. As for Furman, Oldham are a bit of a basket case at the moment so I see why he’d have turned them down. He’s got a cracking pedigree & quite a few international caps for South Africa’s but is 33 now & Wiki tells me he married a Manchester girl so maybe he’s beginning to think of his post playing career. I’d definitely take him

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2021, 09:17:49 PM »

I would like to see Brad Jackson get a start next Saturday.. I believe he didn’t play at Trafford as he had a slight knock. From what I have seen I reckon he could be a useful addition to the team. I would have Tommo in goal, a back 4 of Senior, Mullarkey, Hannigan and Fitzpatrick.  Jackson and Mooney out wide. Dinanga/AJ Leitch-Smith up top, midfield of Moult, Colclough, Kirby/Pringle

Subs
Kosylo
Williams.
Hancock
Sutton
Dens
Peers

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2021, 09:59:11 PM »

A bit more investigation re Joe Bunney suggests it was a knee injury at Grimsby that eventually did for him there, don’t know what the dramatic hospital references by his then manager are about. If we are seriously interested in him I’d have assumed it’ll be pay as you play, he made over 100 appearances for Rochdale in the FL so must have something about him. As for Furman, Oldham are a bit of a basket case at the moment so I see why he’d have turned them down. He’s got a cracking pedigree & quite a few international caps for South Africa’s but is 33 now & Wiki tells me he married a Manchester girl so maybe he’s beginning to think of his post playing career. I’d definitely take him

If  Furman  does come it would  probably mean a midfielder having to go out on loan ? by the sound of things he could look very good at National League Level

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2021, 10:10:25 PM »

After the great news tonight about Colclough (after fearing he may leave like Smithy) i change my Torquay team to the following...

TT
Senior   Mullarkey   Hannigan   Fitzpatrick
                     Moult   Colclough
          Kosylo   Hancock   Mooney
                          Dinanga

Subs: Gould, Sutton, Williams, Pringle, Kirby, Peers, Leitch-Smith

NB assume White, Hampson, Dens, Digie, Jackson all injured... Miller on loan... Adarbioyo? (played during pre-season but pic not on Team website), plus not sure if Parky will sign two trialists from today...

COYR!

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2021, 11:34:34 PM »

Pringle will definitely start. Despite his decent preseason, I'd imagine that it'll be Mooney who misses out on the 11.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team