PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 John Canning (alias VofD) RIP
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: John Canning (alias VofD) RIP  (Read 6770 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: June 26, 2021, 03:37:38 PM »

Last evening I received the sad news concerning the death of my long-standing friend and loyal Alty supporter John Canning, who had avidly following the fortunes (and misfortunes) of the Robins for the last 35 years.

Born on the outskirts of Glasgow, John was educated in the school of hard knocks as a Hamilton Academical FC ball boy and had followed his beloved Accies all over Scotland during his formative years.

Following a Home Office immigration & border control job transfer from Heathrow to Manchester Airport, he first started watching the Robins during the 1985/86 season and his allegiance was soon cemented by that famous FA Cup night at Birmingham City on 14th January 1986.

It was the following season that I first got to know John, as he migrated upwards to sit with a band of Alty diehards at the back of the main stand that included myself, my chum Richard Webb, Barry Heaton, the club’s current financial guru Mike Adams and that much-missed Moss Lane stalwart Rene Stuart.

Never afraid to express a forthright observation, John’s booming Caledonian tones became a familiar part of the Moss Lane matchday soundtrack, whether admonishing yet another misplaced pass (“We’re in red!”), plaintively bemoaning a torturous defeat (his trademark Private Frazeresque “Rrrrrrubbish!”) or mischievously rejoicing in the Robins outperforming some full-time ex-Football League opponents (“Come on you part-timers!”).

Not to mention a few memorable verbal duels with Graham Heathcote at various grounds over the years! Once he was no longer a presence in the dugout, I think that Graham secretly missed these mid-match public ‘debates’, as he invariably had a laugh with John when he encountered him at games in later years.

Under his pseudonym VofD (‘Voice of Dissent’), John was a regular trenchant, acerbic and idiosyncratic contributor to the Alty fans forum over many years. Whilst you may not always have agreed with his forceful opinions (and, indeed, many didn’t!), there was no denying his fervent passion for Altrincham FC. 

John was abrasive, kind, amusing, endearingly curmudgeonly and very generous. Whether in the sheer elation of an FA Cup triumph over Barnsley or the utter despair of a 5-0 FA Trophy drubbing at Colne Dynamoes, he always remained a humorous and entertaining companion. It will undoubtedly be extremely odd not to have him sitting alongside me in the main stand next season.

A genuine character. RIP, my old friend. 

John Canning won the Altrincham FC online bid for the Remembrance Day captain's armband for the benefit of the Royal British Legion, with a bid of £100.
John is seen, right, making his donation to a Poppy Appeal representative (21st November 2015).

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: John Canning (alias VofD) RIP
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 03:56:25 PM »

Very sad to read of yet another Alty fan leaving us..
I also used to enjoy reading the posts of John (VoD) and like many others I didn’t always agree with his views but, the Forum exists so that people can “Have Their Say”. I will miss him…
One final thing…
Cult.. That was a superb piece you did on a very close friend of yours… your literary skills are second to none and although the theme of the piece you penned on John was very sad, it was an easy read, and summed up his character.

RIP John (VoD) Canning Condolences to your family & friends..
Ray and Jan

ICB Alty

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 04:43:18 PM »

RIP John (VofD), I enjoyed reading his posts, and as Cult said not all were agreed with. Condolences to his family and friends.

Thomas H

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 04:54:49 PM »

RIP John
Whilst the home games were entertaining with John around it will be the away days that I will miss my friend John, whether Burton or Barrow, the trek back was always a lively discussion between the three of us in the car on the way home, usually on what went wrong or on occasion what went right, but first we had to know the Accies result.
John was Alty through and through, and like myself and Barry always wanted the good days to return to Alty.
Every Alty team that went onto the pitch was put up against the the good days when Alty were kings, he never understood why we weren’t up there and never wanted 2nd best.
His boisterous support was unwavering, always wanted the ball moved up the pitch quickly and some of the shouts from the Main stand such as “Route one” when we needed the ball in the opponents area with 10 mins to go, or “don’t panic” when we were unexpectedly winning, the one nil win at Doncaster springs to mind, the shout that I use to like and there were many was when the full timer / football league player fluffed his lines John would laugh out loud and shout “ What do you do all week” which always got a rise from the opposing Manager or usually the Assistant.
It’s a sad day, and I will miss my old friend.
RIP John

that man showler

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 05:03:09 PM »

Such sad news
Condolences to family and friends

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 05:21:35 PM »

RIP.

Deepest condolences.
Full time and proud of it

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 05:40:54 PM »

Very sad to read of yet another Alty fan leaving us..
I also used to enjoy reading the posts of John (VoD) and like many others I didn’t always agree with his views but, the Forum exists so that people can “Have Their Say”. I will miss him…
One final thing…
Cult.. That was a superb piece you did on a very close friend of yours… your literary skills are second to none and although the theme of the piece you penned on John was very sad, it was an easy read, and summed up his character.

RIP John (VoD) Canning Condolences to your family & friends..
Ray and Jan
I would have liked to have said this but distancetraveller has said it so well. Well-written Barry, RIP VofD.

andrewflynn

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 06:54:12 PM »

My condolences to all who were close with him. RIP.

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 08:16:49 PM »

I knew John as a customer when I was at Oxfords barbers , certainly was a character,  every time he came for his haircut , he usually came out with the same answer if you asked him what he thought of Altys last game , and that was that they where sh*te no matter whether we won lost or drew .
R.I.P John

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 08:39:49 PM »

Sorry to hear this news... great article, well written by Cult

Sad news... condolences to all who knew this character...

He will be missed by family & friends, plus the Alty family

We all have our memories to cherish... RIP John (VofD)
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 08:43:53 PM »

Very sad news. I didn't know him apart from his posts on here, and the occasional shout I may have somehow overheard at matches, but he was certainly one of the characters at the club and will be missed.
My thoughts are with his family and his friends. RIP John.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 08:52:07 PM »

Another one of the family...

My deepest condolences to his family and many friends at Alty, not least you, Cult; a truly touching tribute.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 09:06:18 PM »

Yes. Well said Cult.
I too only knew VofD from his posts but he seemed to be a real Alty character.
Good vibes to all who knew him!
There's too many of us passing lately. 😒
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 09:29:22 PM »

I'm another who knew John only from his forum posts - but they were such that I felt as if I knew him. He would never shy away from putting into print what others would hesitate to say for fear of being criticised. I'm a bit that way myself, and even when I didn't share his view I totally respected his right to express it.

I once had the following comment on one of my school reports :

"He is never afraid to stand up and be counted, even if the total is often one."

I think John would have been proud to have that comment addressed to him. RIP.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2021, 09:40:35 PM »

I worked alongside John at Terminal One, Manchester Airport for a number of years before we both retired.  He was absolutely obsessed with Alty and really loved the Club.  Come to think about it I don't think we ever spoke about anything else!

Farewell my old friend and RIP.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team