Fire
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fire  (Read 6397 times)

that man showler

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Fire
« on: June 08, 2021, 10:29:50 AM »

A fire has broken out at roots Hall home of Southend United  fc hopefully everyone is safe.

saffendalty

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
Re: Fire
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 06:25:02 PM »

Alas, still standing. 10 mins down the road from me. Been talk of developing it for housing for years. Sits on Southend's main Victorian tip, full of valuable bottles. Desperate to get a job on it if it is ever developed. Feel sorry for Southend supporters, some dodgy characters involved, but it is Essex!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 07:43:53 PM »

I know I'm an old cynic, but the first thing that crossed my mind was insurance job because of the goings on with the new ground situation. The second was it might be disgruntled fan base.
I've really got to start thinking better about people! 😂😂
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 09:05:25 PM »

I know I'm an old cynic, but the first thing that crossed my mind was insurance job because of the goings on with the new ground situation. The second was it might be disgruntled fan base.

I think many of us probably thought the same!

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 09:34:32 PM »

Stan Flashman and Underhill came to mind.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 09:48:11 PM »

I think more of Ken Richardson at Belle Vue, Doncaster.

After he was convicted of conspiracy to commit arson, I did hear the pa announcer at Kettering played "Firestarter" by The Prodigy in his "honour" when they entertained Doncaster.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 09:58:43 PM »

Many years ago there was a fire at White Hart lane, home of Spurs.

The police said it was arson...

...but Ian Wright said it couldn't have been him as he was taking training at the time!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 10:24:16 PM »

Stan Flashman and Paul Showler came to mind after that!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 08:16:13 AM »

Bradford City is the worst example unfortunately. There was a strong aroma of rodent surrounding their chairman, but nothing was ever proved.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 10:19:47 AM »

Bradford City is the worst example unfortunately. There was a strong aroma of rodent surrounding their chairman, but nothing was ever proved.

I hadn't heard that rumour before.

Would even a fraudster do it whilst the ground was full of people?
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 10:56:40 AM »

I thought it was found that the fire started in a wooden stand by discarded cigarettes?

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 11:31:10 AM »

Me too! Bernard Mannings new roof sprang to mind. Spent too many years dealing with wronguns. ☺

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 11:48:47 AM »

Me too! Bernard Mannings new roof sprang to mind. Spent too many years dealing with wronguns. ☺

Yes, I remember that. (was born about 200yds from the Embassy club in good old Harpurhey!)

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 12:18:38 PM »

From Wikipedia:

Stafford Heginbotham (12 September 1933 – 21 April 1995) was a British businessman and chairman of Bradford City football club at the time of 56 deaths in the Bradford City stadium fire, which occurred immediately after the club won league promotion that mandated a costly upgrading of spectator facilities. A 2015 book revealed the extent of Heginbotham's fire insurance claims before the disaster, which had led to him being the subject of local innuendo about arson. In the light of the book's revelations the head of a 1985 public inquiry into the disaster maintained there was still no reason to think there had been anything sinister about the stadium fire, although he acknowledged it was cause for suspicion that Heginbotham had been a serial insurance claimant

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 01:41:32 PM »

From Wikipedia:

Stafford Heginbotham (12 September 1933 – 21 April 1995) was a British businessman and chairman of Bradford City football club at the time of 56 deaths in the Bradford City stadium fire, which occurred immediately after the club won league promotion that mandated a costly upgrading of spectator facilities. A 2015 book revealed the extent of Heginbotham's fire insurance claims before the disaster, which had led to him being the subject of local innuendo about arson. In the light of the book's revelations the head of a 1985 public inquiry into the disaster maintained there was still no reason to think there had been anything sinister about the stadium fire, although he acknowledged it was cause for suspicion that Heginbotham had been a serial insurance claimant

Stark difference between torching an empty stand and doing so when it's full. I remember that day well. Very sad indeed.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fire