PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fantastic gesture for our younger fans
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fantastic gesture for our younger fans  (Read 8746 times)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
@AltyDaz

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Fantastic gesture for our younger fans
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 10:00:15 PM »

Well done to the Club... great idea... 👏👏👏
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 12:30:17 AM »

This will prove to be a hugely popular move, and one that is, I would argue, right and proper given the relatively small number of 16-18 yr olds who are in full-time employment compared to the generation that preceded it.  Yet another example of sensible and progressive thinking from the Board. Well done.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 11:04:16 AM »

As I mentioned before, my first season ticket was 2 guineas and as I didn't turn 17 until 21 August 1967 I paid the same for my second one as I bought it in June. I had to pay the full whack the year after (4 guineas) which was such a stretch that I couldn't afford it the year after that.
It's a great gesture from the club and one which should be applauded.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 11:53:02 AM »

This is a brilliant decision by the club. I am a fan of 46 years. I made by spectators debut the day after my 17th birthday, 06th October 1974. I am a classic example of someone who would have benefitted from that. I had to cadge the money from my dad by washing his car.

I was in that age bracket myself and was at South Trafford College for the year until June 1975, when I started work. I did not become a real regular until I started work and could afford to go. But so began a love that lasted a life time, for the club. This is the support we need to attract, before they can go to United or City. A great decision by the board.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 08:13:25 PM »

Using the same logic they should raise the consesion age to 66

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 08:16:00 PM »

Fine by me. I'm almost 71. 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 09:09:52 PM »

Why?
I’m actually 67 so it doesn’t affect me but there are a lot of people  who have to work longer due to pension ages changing. Why punish them more..

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 10:14:32 PM »

The days of old age concessions are surely numbered. Partly cos someone will realise it’s age discrimination and ban it and partly because those retiring at the moment are the first generation who will retire richer then their children will be when they retire. They’ve gained the most from the house price rise of the last 40 years and many more of them have DB pensions. The ‘poor old pensioners can’t afford it’ logic simply isn’t true anymore as a sweeping justification for age related discounts. It makes more sense to give millennials a discount because those trying to get on the housing ladder have bigger financial issues. This is a generalisation obviously hiding massive differences within each age group but we don’t mean test the ticket price, it’s based on a generational average.

I’m 48 so doesn’t affect me either way for some time.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 10:26:32 PM »

I don't have a vessel in which to urinate at 73. Yes, I am a "poor old pensioner".

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 10:31:24 PM »

I'm glad you admitted that you have made generalisations.
I'm certainly not loaded and the vast majority of working class retirees aren't either. Well not the ones I know anyway.
I certainly couldn't afford to go to ML without the concessions and I suspect I'm not alone.
I agree that many of us are property - rich and cash poor but even I draw the line at moving house to free up some cash.
My assets will be going to my grandkids so they get a start in life (but, hopefully, not for a good few years yet) 😉

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2021, 10:58:46 PM »

The days of old age concessions are surely numbered. Partly cos someone will realise it’s age discrimination and ban it and partly because those retiring at the moment are the first generation who will retire richer then their children will be when they retire. They’ve gained the most from the house price rise of the last 40 years and many more of them have DB pensions. The ‘poor old pensioners can’t afford it’ logic simply isn’t true anymore as a sweeping justification for age related discounts. It makes more sense to give millennials a discount because those trying to get on the housing ladder have bigger financial issues. This is a generalisation obviously hiding massive differences within each age group but we don’t mean test the ticket price, it’s based on a generational average.

I’m 48 so doesn’t affect me either way for some time.

If you do away with  old age concessions then you do away with all concessions, a lot of so called millennials today benefit from an inheritance anyway from either their grandparents and or parents.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 02:32:06 PM »

My point was that the retirement age has been put up from 65 to 66 and soon to be 67. Therefore most 65 year olds will either still be in work or retired through their own choice. Either way, they're not in the same situation as seventeen and eighteen year olds.

I'm 63. Pre Covid I got in a few grounds on a concession ticket. Halesowen was one and I think also Southport and York started concessions at 60.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 08:36:39 PM »

I am 59, however, I have been forced to retire early due to ill health.  I was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 10 years ago and carried on working for as long as I could.  Although I consider my pension to be generous, under the circumstances, it is still considerably less than I would have received had I been able to complete 40 years service.  Thus, I am relatively poorly off compared to many others who are catergorised as pensioners but I do not qualify for the concessionary rate due to my tender age.  Would it not be fair to consider extending the concessionary rate to include disabled supporters?

Whist I am sounding off, I also feel that something needs to be done (I have no idea what) about the lack of legroom in 99% of the seating in the main stand.  As well as being painfully stiff in my legs, I am 6' 2'' tall and find it almost impossible to obtain a position in which to be comfortable.  I did initially manage to find a spot with a bit more legroom when I attended the final game of the season against Torquay but was moved on by Bill who told me that the seats myself and my 12 year old daughter had sat in were reserved for someone else.  We moved and I spent the game in some discomfort and now that I am not really fit enough to stand on the terraces anymore I have to decide whether or not I can continue to attend games.

The Family Stand offers some hope.  I have found that there is ample legroom there but, alas, whenever we play teams like Stockport and Chester, for example, the stand is given over to their supporters.

I would be interested to hear other peoples opinions and ideas and I am sorry to be a miserable old git.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fantastic gesture for our younger fans